New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Re: Silver/Wyoming  (Read 3293 times)

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Silver/Wyoming
« on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:35 AM »
  Whats up with that?   I can't believe they would not let us park there!   
 I would have to raise some hell about that.   
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2008, 10:18 AM »
The state has baricades at the entrance to the state launch it sounds like they dont even want it plowed by us , OH WELL ILL JUST MOVE THEM!!!!               mcperch

I hope that's not true. Our sportsman's tax dollars paid for that launch.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2008, 01:29 PM »
The state has baricades at the entrance to the state launch it sounds like they dont even want it plowed by us , OH WELL ILL JUST MOVE THEM!!!!               mcperch

This really troubles me. When they decided to close the facility and not maintain the lot and restrooms during the winter months I wrote letters of concern to the Director of Letchworth State Park ( who oversees Silver Lake State Park), Carol Ash, ( thr Commissioner of State Parks and Historic Preservation), Dale Volker, my State Senator and Dan Burling, my State Assemblyman.

Dan Burling sent me a copy of a letter he received from Carol Ash in reply to his letter of concern. Below is a quote from her letter.

" Furthermore, while the facility is not being actively maintained or operated this winter, access to the area is not being physically prevented.
."

I guess more letter writing is in order.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2008, 01:33 PM »
Just like our ATV fees include a trail fee with no trails, or our snow machine fees include money for trail maint. but we had a "surplus" and instead of creating new trails or lowering the fee they steal the money and put it into the general fund, or the Pittman- Robertson monies (a special tax on firearms and ammunition to fund sportsman activities) being redirected and they are closing down the Reynolds game farm, no more pheasant stocking. Until we all get together and march on Albany and take back our government they arent even gonna give us vasaline when they slip it to us. Unfortunatly the only people who have time to protest are those on welfare because everyone else is busy working, trying to make a living while the state continues to take more from us and not fixing the problems that got us here in the first place.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2008, 02:41 PM »
Just like our ATV fees include a trail fee with no trails, or our snow machine fees include money for trail maint. but we had a "surplus" and instead of creating new trails or lowering the fee they steal the money and put it into the general fund, or the Pittman- Robertson monies (a special tax on firearms and ammunition to fund sportsman activities) being redirected and they are closing down the Reynolds game farm, no more pheasant stocking. Until we all get together and march on Albany and take back our government they arent even gonna give us vasaline when they slip it to us. Unfortunatly the only people who have time to protest are those on welfare because everyone else is busy working, trying to make a living while the state continues to take more from us and not fixing the problems that got us here in the first place.
Very Well said  and Very true !  To bad us N.Y. Sportsmen couldn't start a collection and hire a lawyer to fight this stuff.
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2008, 06:29 PM »
Here's a copy of a letter I will mail tomorrow morning to the Director of Letchworth State Park who oversees Silver Lake State Park. I am sending CC to Assemblyman Dan Burling and Carol Ash, Commissioner of State Parks.

Enclosed is a copy of a letter from Commissioner Carol Ash to Assemblyman Dan Burling. This is in response to my query as to the closing of Silver Lake State Park. In it she assures Assemblyman Burling that  “while the facility is not being actively maintained or operated this winter, access to the area is not being physically prevented.”

It has been brought to my attention that there are two sawhorse type barricades at the entrance to Silver Lake State Park. Please remove the barricades to honor the assurance of Commissioner Ash that we will be allowed to access to the ice through the park.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2008, 08:52 PM »
 >:( There  is two baricades up they can be moved, but I got a ticket for that before it shows its closed and thats a misdemeanor you can walk through but that sucks when theres a perfectly good road that our dollars paid for and cant excess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  mcperch :'(
McPerch

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:25 AM »
Guys...I split this topic off from the NY R&C board so you would have a place to discuss it. It's an important issue, but, we'd like to stick with  reports over there.

Thanks,

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline JEBADIAH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • R.I.P. JEB
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:51 AM »
Its a good long walk from the road down to the lake there especially through 2ft of snow. Don't it figure, almost first ice and we got no place to park.You cant tell me our state cant afford to send a plow down there once in awhile,its a sad day when our state blocks off our launch and says screw you guys.Funny thing is Ive never seen the lot kept as clean as it was the last few years when the trap attack was in town,now from that to this....What a joke.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:55 AM »
Jerry,
A good move. Can we get the email addresses up again. This needs some pressure.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2008, 10:34 AM »
Are you freaking kidding me!!!!!!   I almost thought this was just a joke!!   I dont even fish there all that often but I am still absolutely furious to hear of this!!!!!! >:(

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2008, 11:35 AM »
Thanks for accommodating this, Bob.

I phoned Dan Burling's office this morning, but they are closed till Jan 4.

Addresses:

Mr. Rich Parker
Director Letchworth State Park
1 Letchworth State Park
Castile, NY 14227

Carol Ash
Commissioner State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
Empire Plaza
Agency Building 1
Albany, NY 12238
        Chainsaw

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2008, 12:31 PM »
I'm not sure what PRHP's problem is with ice and ice fishermen. Every time I hear about an access problem with a state facility its always a Parks and Rec Facility. DEC doesn't have a problem but P&R seems really paranoid.
This is the third incident with P&R THAT I KNOW OF!
Park Police ticketing ATV's on Saratoga Lake
Park Police ticketing Ice Fishermen on Moreau Lake
Now This.
What is their problem???
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Strike_Zone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2008, 02:12 PM »
    This is what is posted on the New York State Parks Web. Page

Silver Lake State Park provides a boat launch facility for boating and fishing on the lake. The area also has picnic facilities and a new comfort station which is open year round.

Attractions

Boat Launch Sites                                               Empire Passport Accepted
                              Fishing                                                                           Hiking
                             Hunting                                                                       Ice Fishing
                          Picnic Tables                                                                 Powerboats
                          Scenic Views                                                                Snowmobiling
                       X-Country Skiing

I think the Director of Silver Lake State Park should go by this !!!!!!!!

HERE ARE THE PHONE NUMBERS TO CALL   

Rich Parker, ( Director of Letchworth State Park, Castile N.Y. ) Phone # (585 ) 493-3600

Roland Beck, ( Park Manager, Castile N.Y. ) Phone # ( 585 ) 493 - 3600

Carol Ash, ( Commissioner of Parks, Albany N.Y. ) Phone # ( 518 ) 474 - 0443

"Never Open a Can of Worms Unless You Plan to go Fishing".
    "If Ignorance is bliss why aren't there more happy people"?
  "Old Age is like Underware it Creeps up on You".
  "It is what it is" because "it aint what it is".
  "Some people do, some don't, some will and some won't". It's your call and only your call.

Offline crappiekid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2008, 02:53 PM »
Just got off the phone with Rich Parker director  for Letchworth State park who is in charge of the boat launch at Silver Lake. Said their intent is not to prevent access to area .Barricades were put up after a few people used bad judgement and got stuck. Asked if these barricades would be permanent .He said no . But couldn't give me an answer as to what the conditions would be to move them .Said their intent was to keep people from getting stuck not to keep them from accessing lake for fishing .Will make some calls after the holidays to see what our elected officials can do .They are on vacation till the 4Th Jan.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2008, 04:09 PM »
I emailed Region 8 DEC for help today. We'll see if they can influence the parks dept at all.

RG

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2008, 04:18 PM »
I know inthe past, the DEC has had other fishing access spots reopened.  The one on Cranberry Pond was shutdown by the town a couple of years back and the DEC forced them to reopen it. 

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2008, 04:37 PM »
That's what I'm hoping.
RG

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:12 PM »
Just got off the phone with Rich Parker director  for Letchworth State park who is in charge of the boat launch at Silver Lake. Said their intent is not to prevent access to area .Barricades were put up after a few people used bad judgement and got stuck. Asked if these barricades would be permanent .He said no . But couldn't give me an answer as to what the conditions would be to move them .Said their intent was to keep people from getting stuck not to keep them from accessing lake for fishing .Will make some calls after the holidays to see what our elected officials can do .They are on vacation till the 4Th Jan.

Oh that's nice, we can use it this winter, but there can't be any snow on the ground.    ::) ::) :cookoo:
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2008, 06:36 PM »
If people want to be stupid and try to push the limits of thier vehicle thats their problem let them call a tow truck or rely on the kindness of strangers. I've been there, I've had farmers pull me out of ditches and ask for nothing in return and I've paid through keister to get pulled out. Actually I pulled 2 people out of the same ditch today they went in 6' from each other about an hour apart. If they tear up the sod bill them for the repairs. We have done that many time at work, you get a ticket and pay to fix it or you just pay to fix it and don't let us catch you again or you will get a ticket.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:47 PM »
A guy I know fished Moreau Lake last week and the next day they put up signs for people to keep off the ice :cookoo: :%$#!:
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2008, 10:02 PM »
Oh that's nice, we can use it this winter, but there can't be any snow on the ground.    ::) ::) :cookoo:

Another example of the government looking out for me. Wish they would leave me alone and let me rake care of myself.
        Chainsaw

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:01 AM »
RG....silver lake is in region 9...just an fyi   
I emailed Region 8 DEC for help today. We'll see if they can influence the parks dept at all.

RG

Offline Imfishking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2008, 11:31 AM »
Sweet. Is there no access to the state launch anymore?

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2008, 01:21 PM »
Sweet. Is there no access to the state launch anymore?

No parking lot access at all !

I have a call in to Roland Beck < park manager > to see if they cant at least move the barricades down the driveway a little so people don't have to park along the road .
One would think that they would be smart enough to see it's a hazard to everyone to make people park along the road .

I encourage everyone to call and maybe they will move them down the drive a little . 1-585-493-3603

Offline Ice Crazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2008, 01:38 PM »
I thought thay have to allow public access to a state park! They are paid by hunting and fishing licence.

Offline Imfishking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2008, 01:41 PM »
I 'll be calling and complaining shortly thanks for the info.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2008, 01:48 PM »
i don't even fish there but i might someday so i'll call,then maybe write a senator!!!!!

Offline crappiekid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2008, 03:11 PM »
Guys this topic of access to Silver lake is on the NY general forum .Good reading and phone #s

Offline Sagebrush

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 23, 2008, 03:37 PM »
I have moved the barricades enough to get thru and plowed the whole thing this afternoon clear to the ramp. Just be careful and make sure your vehicle is good in snow as it is all ice under that snow. While I was plowing there was two guys out there fishing. 1 was in a shack & the other was on a pail over by Macks. It looked as if they were"t too far out, maybe the ice was getting thinner. OK boys, ya can get to the bottom now, good fishing!

Sagebrush

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.