New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake George  (Read 3295 times)

Offline Saltydog003

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake George
« on: Mar 04, 2008, 01:00 PM »
Hey Y'all,

I have to travel to Lake George this week, and I have a day to fish.  Do any of you know how the ice is, or know of a map to see the depth of the lake.  I want to catch large Lake Trout, and don't know anything about the lake.  All help is appreciated! 

Thanks in advance,
Salty

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Lake George
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2008, 01:40 PM »
Welll you should have posted in the NY board but if you want lakers. go to bolton landing to rogers memorial park.  Walk out onto the ice between the sagamore hotel and dome Island.  really good area for lakers.  Use tip-ups with large shiners or suckers just off the bottom. Jig a swedish pimple tiped with part of minnow just off the bottom.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline ski7doo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2008, 01:48 PM »

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2008, 01:52 PM »
Welll you should have posted in the NY board but if you want lakers. go to bolton landing to rogers memorial park.  Walk out onto the ice between the sagamore hotel and dome Island.  really good area for lakers.  Use tip-ups with large shiners or suckers just off the bottom. Jig a swedish pimple tiped with part of minnow just off the bottom.
good spot for lakers and perch, I think the park is called veterans memorial park though.

JJ

« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2008, 02:38 PM »
I want to catch large Lake Trout, and don't know anything about the lake.

No offense, but realistic expectations might get you more info. ;D

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2008, 02:48 PM »
I agree JJ, You'll be able to catch lake trout from lake george, but Idk about a large one. I've fished that lake for about 10 years, and I'm stuck on 7lb lakers. I'm at 6-7 7lb lake trout now. Not to say there not in there by anymeans. I've seen a few 13-14lbers but good luck finding them.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2008, 02:54 PM »
you can catch plenty of average lakers in one outting but it usually takes some time to get big ones, just like any type of fishing anyplace, put in your time. i personally like suckers near the bottom.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline GM2500HD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2008, 03:00 PM »
Buy a #7 pimple, jig just off the bottom in a 100 plus feet of water and you have just as good of a chance as anyone else catching a large laker.

After 10 years of serious trout/salmon fishing my best is 7 1/2 lbs.

Try near Dome Island or out off from Heartstone State Campground. But again, fish any of the deep water and you can catch lakers.

Good Luck :tipup:
You'll find me over the deep water.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2008, 03:31 PM »
The best advice I can give you is to check the Lake Trout threads on this site and the Lake George Reports thread. Give those threads a look, that's what they're there for.

Offline imoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:39 PM »
I have fished that lake for 20 years or so.there are lake trout from Rogers Rock to the Million Dollar beach and just about every where in between .Caught them from the top to the bottom. just need to read alot pay attention to what works and don't be afraid to move. the biggest for me was 36"er about 12lbs.and it only took me 40+ years of fishing to get lucky once. lol.<"(((><.....

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2008, 06:17 AM »
good spot for lakers and perch, I think the park is called veterans memorial park though.

There are 2 parks in Bolton, Vetrans and Rogers.  :afro:
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline mr rainbow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2008, 11:37 AM »
fished Lk Geo for thirty years, ice that is. Things are a little slower in March than first ice, but I average at least 10-12 lakers for a morning of fishing. I will toss back everything I catch including at least 5 over 15 lbs each year.  My son posted a catch that was not photographed, but measured 46 inces from last saturday. Many others called him a liar...but I measured and weighed the fish before we put it back. It definately was a fish on it's way out. It had a head like crockadile and a very disproportional body...it weighed only 17lbs. Find 40-60 ft of water in the middle, bring a vex and jig your ass off and you'll catch fish. Good luck

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2008, 11:55 AM »
46 inces
:o  I saw a 38" like that. all head ... very cool lookin
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2008, 12:19 PM »
fished Lk Geo for thirty years, ice that is. Things are a little slower in March than first ice, but I average at least 10-12 lakers for a morning of fishing. I will toss back everything I catch including at least 5 over 15 lbs each year.  My son posted a catch that was not photographed, but measured 46 inces from last saturday. Many others called him a liar...but I measured and weighed the fish before we put it back. It definately was a fish on it's way out. It had a head like crockadile and a very disproportional body...it weighed only 17lbs. Find 40-60 ft of water in the middle, bring a vex and jig your ass off and you'll catch fish. Good luck

I don't think I recall anyone calling him an outright liar and if they did shame on them. What we have here are alot of respectable seasoned fisherman (ice and open water) on lake George as well as most other Adirondack lakes, streams and rivers. Most people that know anything about the King won't say it's impossible, because I'm sure in the backs of our minds we want to believe that they're even bigger than that in there and I'm sure they are. It's just so hard to believe 46". I've caught my share of big ones as well in George but 46" with no recording, that doesn't happen every day, weekend or year. I know I would have asked someone around if they had a camera, being "in the middle" and owning a Vex you must also own a wheeler where you could have asked someone to snap a shot @ 46" I know I would have been running around asking anyone.Cap't JJ if your reading this do you have or keep track of yearly sizes on lake trout caught on the King? I'm not trying to get you involved in a discrepancy just curios of past sizes.JMHO Mr Rainbow.

dav 
(No better time to wet a line)          
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

JJ

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2008, 01:09 PM »
Here's what I know:

Longest laker I know of was 42", 26 lbs caught by Ted Hans in 1992. I had him on a charter a few years ago and told him not to expect to top that fish.

Heaviest one I know of was 28 lbs, don't know the length, but this fish had girth. Caught with Justy Joe, who charters on the North end. I saw the fish wrapped in plastic in a freezer.

Biggest ever on my boat was 41", 22 1/2 lbs, a male, fish was stocked in 1987, caught in 2004 on 8 lb test.

Last years biggest on my boat was 37 1/2" but skinny, just under 14 lbs, also a male, most likely a wild fish with no fin clips. Caught and released the same fish in 2003, measured it at 38" and was definitely a couple  pounds heavier. A lot of the bigger fish caught lately have been looking rather "gaunt". The same day we got this fish, E&R charters caught one 36" and 18 lbs, a nice healthy fish.

Check out this link for some world class lakers: http://www.landbigfish.com/staterecords/fishrecords.cfm?ID=118

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2008, 01:42 PM »
Here's what I know:

Longest laker I know of was 42", 26 lbs caught by Ted Hans in 1992. I had him on a charter a few years ago and told him not to expect to top that fish.

Heaviest one I know of was 28 lbs, don't know the length, but this fish had girth. Caught with Justy Joe, who charters on the North end. I saw the fish wrapped in plastic in a freezer.

Biggest ever on my boat was 41", 22 1/2 lbs, a male, fish was stocked in 1987, caught in 2004 on 8 lb test.

Last years biggest on my boat was 37 1/2" but skinny, just under 14 lbs, also a male, most likely a wild fish with no fin clips. Caught and released the same fish in 2003, measured it at 38" and was definitely a couple  pounds heavier. A lot of the bigger fish caught lately have been looking rather "gaunt". The same day we got this fish, E&R charters caught one 36" and 18 lbs, a nice healthy fish.

Check out this link for some world class lakers: http://www.landbigfish.com/staterecords/fishrecords.cfm?ID=118

Thanks JJ, Great site with some amazing numbers, Utah 45" 51lbs, Wyoming 46" 50lbs. This Mr Rainbow is the reason there are and were so many skeptics, a laker 46" could have possibly been a NYS charting fish.

dav
P.S. Thanks again Cap't JJ 

NAD42

« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2008, 03:13 PM »
this is my brother's 38.5 inch, 18 lb'er he jigged up out of Lake George a few years back...I think it was 38.5, anyways, a real HOG  :o

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2008, 03:36 PM »
At first I wanted to say "look at how small that kids sled is." but then I realized that it was a regular size sled......Wow.....
Nice Laker
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2008, 03:56 PM »
N-ICE :thumbsup:

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2008, 04:00 PM »
wow. nice fish! that must have been fun on the jig rod. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2008, 06:06 AM »
Lake George is huge. I would not be surprised if there was a 40 + pounder in there, and pike near that size also.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Rogers Apples

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2008, 09:59 AM »
hows the perch fishing on LG+
tell them im coming
and the vex is coming with me

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2008, 10:17 AM »
I'm not calling you a liar mr. rainbow, but where are all the pictures of these 15+lb fish every year? I'm lucky if I hear about 5 fish over 15lbs coming out of the king every winter. I highly doubt there are 40+lb pike in there either. The lake produces a lot of nice fish, but they just don't get huge. The biggest pike I have seen, or even heard about coming out of lake george was this pike right here that ilikepike caught last year. 43", and 23 and 3/4lbs on the taxidermists scale.
I'm curious to see if anybody else has seen or heard of a bigger pike?

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2008, 01:18 PM »
nice pike airman. buddy of mine gor a 43" 20+ pound pike out of............sacandag a res yesterday. pics on a cell phone if i can get a hold of somebody will try to get them posted.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2008, 04:20 PM »
Yeah, that doesn't supprise me coming from the sac. Our two biggest out of the sac this year were 17, and 21lbs

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2008, 06:46 AM »
My father saw a monster pike lost there in the 80s. The ice was about 3 inches and black, so they could see it clearly. Apparently it swam under his friend, who had his feet right next to each other, and its back was wider than his two boots. That's a huge pike. Just because no one has caught any giant pike in there that you know of doesn't mean they don't exist. There's a lot of room to roam for the pike in there, and a great food supply. I don't doubt 30+ pound pike.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.