New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Thunder on Saturday?  (Read 955 times)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thunder on Saturday?
« on: Jan 12, 2006, 02:47 PM »
I know I'm sick of talking & hearing about the weather just like you are but I still hold out hope that I can fish the Grafton tournament this Sat. That said, what affect do you think the rain and possible thunder will have on the fish biting ??? I have never had any luck fishing on the open water in rain... for that matter I have never been that dedicated. Now I am 8) and I want to ice fish this weekend safely. Your thoughts?

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Thunder on Saturday?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2006, 02:49 PM »
I don't know about that, but if it's thundering, I'd sure watch out for lightning!

Offline johnnylimit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2006, 03:31 PM »
Boy, that would sure make some headlines: MAN STRUCK BY LIGHTNING WHILE ICE FISHING! ;D

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2006, 05:37 PM »
believe it or not, the fish do bite throughout thunderstorms...especi ally panfish...It has to do more with the barometric pressure then the thunder, but they bite...hope you don't get zapped...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2006, 05:37 PM »
We are suppose to have cold weather on Sat and Sun.
All I need is ice and the fish will come.

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:23 PM »
safest place to be during a thunderstorm is inside of something metal.....unless your shack is all metal I would get off the ice if it's thundering.  Many times when we get lake effect snow up here in Buffalo (I live like 3 miles form lake Erie) we get thunder and lightning with the snow as well.

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2006, 08:15 PM »
Out on Kings Bay on Lake Champlain a few years back, the ice, which was about 12 inches of the clearest black ice I have ever seen, was cracking and popping just as loud as lightning every time the sun popped out from behind a cloud.  Didn't seem to affect the fish too bad if I remember correctly.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.