New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Silver Lake CC Parking  (Read 6019 times)

Offline scott14580

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered
Re: Silver Lake CC Parking
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2006, 03:47 PM »
 If the weather stays like this, I think we'll being playing a round of golf soon!

Offline Big Johnny Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Do Something Ordinary!!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2006, 04:18 PM »
Hey Coldfeet,
I agree with you totally......especiall y the part about putting some No Parking Signs out down there on the lower lawn area....it would really be bad if we lose the access there.   Like I said before, when I went Saturday off of there, I parked on top, and I was surprised about the number of trucks down on the lawn.

And Oak, if you need a hand out there on the ice anytime, just let me know....I don't mind at all....my fishing partner of many years got major back problems a couple of years ago, and now he can't get out anymore.   :-[
Me fish a lot, and me have a problem....Inmate 0046

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2006, 04:45 PM »
OK, here is what we have.

I went out of the Country Club tonight.  From the paved parking lot up top to the water is an actual driveway, with currently some hard pack ice on it.  Drag your sled down the driveway and the most damage your gonna do is scrape up the bottom of your sled.  I saw many guys dragging across the lawn on the north side of the restaurant, not sure why they at least didn't use the driveway.

I inspected any damage caused by this past weekends grass parking.  Really nothing a good rain won't take care of.  Fortunately it is fairly hard ground where the grass is.  Spread the word to stay on top.  I thought about no parking signs as well.  Doesn't seem like they would mind us trying to protect their property.

This is the absolute worst I saw.

"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2006, 04:48 PM »
I'll talk with the owner and she what we can figure out for the "local" guys.
All I need is ice and the fish will come.

hali-man

« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2006, 04:52 PM »
Thanks, WNYBassman! That should clarify this for everyone.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2006, 04:56 PM »
FISHINCRAZY
I dont think anyone is meaning to offend Oak . If i'm not mistaken my interpritation is that nobody wants to loose the cc as a parking area and all we have to do to avoid this is stay off the grass and dont litter .
Maybe we as a group should make arrangements to get together and go talk to the owners ! I for one would help with that if we need to . As far as Oak I dont even know the man other that what I know of him on this site. I would hope that none of us on this site would be #ssholes enough to not help a fellow icefisherman especially handicapped . If Oak needs a hand getting his gear on the ice I'll be there . And with that said for those of you that may not know New York Ice Shanty runs on channel 7 so if you do hear someone in need of help or just needs a hand lets do what we can .
Now lets have some fun and go fishing !
OAK no offense meant if  anything was taken wrong .

Offline kirkwooders

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Websters definition of a northern red neck.
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2006, 05:23 PM »
I think that the get together thing is a good idea. I don't think anybody but the owners should be putting any signs or anything else down there until permision is received.  The signs may make a bad situation worse.  After all they may have already given people permision to park down there, or drive down there,or whatever and who are we to say they can't until we find out for sure.  How would you like someone telling your buddy that he can't barrow your auger out of your garage when you and he had already talked about it? :o  I'd be mighty upset. If you want to make some real friends at the CC I'd say that we offer to build a donation box and put it there, and give them the key and let them decide what to do with the money.

Money talks and ...
Dave
"There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid!"

hali-man

« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2006, 05:58 PM »
As far as Oak I dont even know the man other that what I know of him on this site. I would hope that none of us on this site would be #ssholes enough to not help a fellow icefisherman especially handicapped.

I know Oak pretty well and I certainly hope he isn't offended! He does have a bad back and he knows everyone is willing to help him out. I think we should just let this topic subside and see what happens. If you see someone being abusive in any way politely mention that this access point is our last one and that everyone will be adversely affected by their actions.
Fishincrazy- If you know the owners please tell them that we are respecting their property and doing what we can to make sure others do, too.
Peace!

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #38 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:24 PM »
Will do hali.  Hopefully I can get this thing all straightened out so everyone won't lose this access.  When newbies attack friends things turn in a different direction and I would have no problem if those people lost access if this would ever happen.  Its these people that make this site bad.  This is why I psted all that i did because Oak was getting tag teamed by these newbies, and this is all I really should say about this subject because I could type all night about this.

Again Hali I will check into this subject with the owner.

All I need is ice and the fish will come.

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:14 PM »
Why doesnt everyone just stay up top and if you see someone parking there politely explain the situation and them tell them where to park.  Sorry fishincrazy didnt want to come across the wrong way thought if you knew them you could explain whats happening before something bad happens.  I know i'm not a local but I am a sportsman who always respects others property sharing a natural resource with other sportsman and keeping them around for younger sportsman to come.  Cant wait for erie to freeze then its just a quad ride across the street to Hmbg beach and away I go no parking needed.  Have fun out there.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:49 PM »
Fishincrazy
 If you find the owner is having a problem about the ruts or any other mess, I will be willing to pay for topsoil from Adam Koziel to be delivered Rake it out to fill the ruts and seed the area. All of course in the spring with weather permitting. I have been parking there for at least 20 yrs if not more and I find this whole thing just the beginning of the end for access on that lake. The whole thing is really upsetting considering I haven't even been out there this year but I am more than willing to rectify the problem others might have created. I did see the pictures that Bassman posted but to be realistic we lost access on Shearman Rd due to a few pigs and guys blocking driveways with there vehicles. Like I said before, if this keeps up the only access will be only at the state launch and its a long walk from there.

Oak
Like I stated before anytime you need a hand I will be there for ya. just give me a PM anytime.

Coldfeet

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:32 PM »
First off I would like to say THANKS to all of you that have offered a hand! Thats some true sportsmanship!
Next I would like to say that I am fine, wasnt meaning that I needed help in any way! I was just emplying that I do look for easier ways to the waters(ice) edge these days!
No offense has been taken, Im pretty thick skinned as Im sure some of you may have noticed!  ;D
I guess my suggestion was just kind of taken in the wrong context or I added it at the wrong time!  :-\
I was simply trying to suggest that we are on private property no matter what when we are there, so instead of parking where we might not be wanted (the lower driveway), Just use it if you have to to drop off or pick up gear and then remain at the top lot!
I was only trying to help ease a situation that I already saw going sour with a possible suggestion!

On a the flipside of all of this.... I am all for what cold_feet suggested about repairing any damages done to the property! I am also all for kirkwooders idea of a donation box for a minimal parking fee, this could help in keeping this place alive for all of us!
I am not suggesting that we should have to repair or pay for the damage that others have done... But if we spent just one of our precious fishing days together as team, working with some of these land owners, we could create many other resources for ourselves to be able to remain fishing here without problem! I bet in time, if we got a little crew together to offer some sort of work or repair, maybe a spring clean up gathering for a day (or anything really, im just suggesting here), we might even be able to get shearman rd. back!
I think that all sportsman everywhere should give back a little to someone or something somehow!
Myself for example, I always carry trash bags with me and pick up after pigs... just a pet peeve! My most popular place for this is long and cranberry pond in greece! I have personnaly taken out about 10 FULL bags of garbage from that place over the last 5 years!
We are there on the waters or in the woods to have fun and sometimes take something from it.( a few fish or animals for dinners), why cant we in turn, give something back to it (a little work to keep it clean)?

Ok... I only came here to thank all of you for offering a hand to help a handicapped guy enjoy his fishing time more comfortably... not to nag about what I think we should and shouldnt do..... but it is a possibility!
Im all for getting something started!  ;)

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:56 AM »
OAK has a great idea there about a clean up day. We could even meet at the launch or somewhere and cook some dogs and have a couple pops afterwords? I'm totally willing to join in on the clean up silver lake day as well as help out with the purchase of some topsoil or what ever. And OAK, i know what your talking about at Cranberry and Long Ponds!!! What a total mess that place gets to be!!! My fishing partners and I also do our share of cleaning up there. Funny thing is , as your picking up trash you usually see some arce throw something on the ground. I then walk up to'em and say" You can throw that trash in here if you don't mind", with a  ;D of course. Stay On Top, Utes

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #43 on: Jan 10, 2006, 03:39 PM »
Where does that web cam face?/ is it not the CC area? Just thinking!!!!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #44 on: Jan 10, 2006, 03:43 PM »
Yes, it is broadcast of the Institution and can view the C.C... if you look closely you can see the big white building!

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 10, 2006, 05:29 PM »
I went out of the Country Club today.  About 10 other vehicles did as well.  I was the only vehicle parked up on top.

BUT!!!

Everyone that parked below parked on the south side of the driveway which is all stone.  It is quite possible that this is allowable, and possibly the reason they keep the driveway down to the water plowed.

MySpace

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 10, 2006, 05:42 PM »
Please don't take my post as saying it is OK to park down below.  I would still encourage everyone 100% to park up top!

MySpace

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #47 on: Jan 11, 2006, 07:34 AM »
we are kind of beating a dead horse now ! why don't we try and get a few guys together on a set day and time and just go ask ! The worst thing that could happen is the owner says no ! I would be willing to meet with anyone who cares to do so and I don't even park there . Landowner word travels real fast and if our parking violators keep screwing around they will ruin it for all of us on the whole lake .
Anyone willing to get together start a post and I'll be there .

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #48 on: Jan 11, 2006, 10:16 AM »
Proactive, not reactive, very sound idea!!!!!!
Sounds good even though its not my primary lake.
Guys ya gotta understand there are other web sites that are similar to the shanty, on yahoo groups wny ice fishing, they are a different type of group! Kinda secretive.
if anyone belongs to both sites could you relay this info and possible outcomes!!!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #49 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:35 PM »
THANKS TO HALI-MAN FOR THE OFFER TO DO THE PHYSICAL DAMAGE REPAIRS !
I still think someone should do some P.R. work with the landowner to try to prevent any relations damage with them ! Who knows there may not even be a landowner  issue yet but why not try and intercept one before it does happen . Like I said before I will go with anybody who cares to do so and find out rite from the horses mouth exactly what they expect from us .

hali-man

« Reply #50 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:44 PM »
You are wonderful human being Hali.

No- I am not.  >:D

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #51 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:32 PM »
Guys ya gotta understand there are other web sites that are similar to the shanty, on yahoo groups wny ice fishing, they are a different type of group! Kinda secretive.
if anyone belongs to both sites could you relay this info and possible outcomes!!!

Consider it done. I post on there occassionally. Don't know why I didn't put it in my post of Sunday. Brain Fart, I guess.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 11, 2006, 06:51 PM »
Jerry most of the guys that are on the yahoo board are here too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.