New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Buy a Clam Six pack and end up with a monster project.......(updated 1/24)  (Read 3307 times)

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Got my clam Six Pack the other day and while I am waiting to get good ice to take the Family out my wheels got turning as to how I was going to fit everything into the jet sled I got to carry it.  Started thinking that it would be great to be able to take just ONE sled and get EVERYTHING in it rather than just throw the new hut in the jet sled and still have to drag my flip over with all the gear in it. 

And THIS is what happened ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
;D

Figured the shack will lay on top and could get a ton of stuff inside then.  But where to put the pails?!?!???

weed wacker holders for a shed storage unit.....$5 each at walmart......And they fold up to transport in the car.

Will have 2 pails for tip ups....one for fish and one hanger for the bait bucket.

Now for a coat of paint.....some inside dividers for gear and maybe some pole storage under the lid.  Hope to have it ready for Monday and with any luck there will be ice on Big Bay and I can get the kids out chasing flags for Pickerel ;D ;D

Offline ADKBIGBEN

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Buy a Clam Six pack and end up with a monster project
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:24 PM »
very nice sled ...i would like to do something like that with my jetsled ..sometimes they aint big enough to carry your gear ...you have a great idea ...happy fishing :tipup:
may the beer be cold and your lines be tight

Offline SKD215

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:27 PM »
that's pretty sweet looking.  more useful than the fabric sled covers.  good idea.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:30 PM »
what about an auger holder?

New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:43 PM »
what about an auger holder?

Was planning on just throwing it on top with the shack and strapping it all down.......but who knows what it will look like by the end of the season

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:49 PM »
pretty slick. i like doing projects like that. i like what you did. so many possibilities

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2013, 05:08 PM »
thats pretty sweet looking man
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline shimanoman45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:18 PM »
Thats awesome, good thinkin

Offline adksguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Sweet setup
good ice, good buds, and good times that's what it's all about!!

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:29 PM »
now you need a smity sled to make pulling all that weight a little bit easier! nice mod though
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline eyelikeadeadfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:34 PM »
With Global Warming these days you might have to start manufacturing with all your spare time.... :'(

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:36 PM »
now you need a smity sled to make pulling all that weight a little bit easier! nice mod though

Smitty sled was made first ;D

Offline bwlin2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:16 PM »
Looks like a lot of extra weight I did mine with fiberglass almost like that best thing I ever done

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:25 AM »
Friend of mine did the same thing....lasted one season....he found the bigger he made it the more it weighed...couldn't load and unload it by himself....(easily)....so he went to a Smitty sled with add on brackets....
I was going to revamp things this fall after hunting season....but the lack of good ice and money to go has it staying the same and sitting in the garage.....maybe next year....Good luck when you get out to try it!!!

Offline mcboatsret

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • U.S. Navy MasterChief Boatswain's Mate Retired
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:17 AM »
A couple of swivel seats maybe
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:33 PM »
Very Cool! However, I'm old. I couldn't pull the extra weight. I went to an upholstry shop and had a custom canvas cover made. Lighter for this old coot to pull.

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:36 PM »
Nice sled!
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:58 PM »
Very Cool! However, I'm old. I couldn't pull the extra weight. I went to an upholstry shop and had a custom canvas cover made. Lighter for this old coot to pull.

Couldn't stack the big clam six pack on top of a canvas cover....plus the added height of the 1x6 sides gives me enough height to stand up the heater and electronics and get a bunch more stuff in it

One 2'x4' piece of 1/2" plywood and  two 6'  1x6's really doesn't add much weight. I am sure that when its done it will not weigh any more empty than my one man flip over does

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:55 AM »
Couldn't stack the big clam six pack on top of a canvas cover....plus the added height of the 1x6 sides gives me enough height to stand up the heater and electronics and get a bunch more stuff in it

(Image removed from quote.)

One 2'x4' piece of 1/2" plywood and  two 6'  1x6's really doesn't add much weight. I am sure that when its done it will not weigh any more empty than my one man flip over does

Very cool design. I don't have the same equipment, so the canvass cover works just fine for me. We fisherman are an inventive bunch, aren't we?

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Painted and bucket brackets on. Just about ready to press into service. Interior dividers and what nots will be added slowly once I get a feel for where things should be.

Straps neatly rivited to the hangers

Folded up for transport

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
nice piece of work, emtorn!

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Very Nice and thanks for the idea about those weed wacker holders. I will be out shopping for them today :)

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
My wife thinks I'm a little nuts how I wander around Home Depot and Walmart in search of things that I can use in strange ways they weren't intended on my random projects......good to know I'm not alone ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
i  have   done  a  jew  mods  to  sleds  too ,  my  problem  is   number one  i  walk  out    now  you  mad  the  sled  heavy!  number   two  it's  bulky  and   a  pain loading  and  unloading  ...   for  me  i  have  come  to  the  conclusion  toss  my  stuff  in  the  jet  sled  and  if  need  be  put  the  cover  on  .....  now  thats  just  me   if  i  had a  sled  or  wheeler  i'm  sure  i  would  feel  different

looks  nice

Offline johnnypike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
I like the pictures. I find myself in the same shanty as most you. LOL (gear covered with snow)  My idea is similar, and simpler. Take a jetsled that is the same size as the first one, flip it upside down on top of The first one and attach them together with hinges. If you hinge the long side, I would use three or four hinges. Two hinges would be sufficient on the short sides. Some type of hasp on opposite side to keep it closed in travel. It will weigh more than a canvas cover, but not as much as wood. This idea has been bubbling in my brain for years, I haven't done this yet myself because I'm still working it out in my mind. Cube type shacks can be bungee corded on top.
Johnnypike
The big fish catcher

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
All ready for the weekend ........ Gonna give the sled and the new six pack a trial run with the family finally this weekend ;D ;D

Offline freezerfiller

• IceShanty Rookie
with the pathetic  amount of ice the last 2 years mine would have a swim platform, trolling motor, and bimini top.  captains chair is key

Offline icefreak55

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 3rd Year Apprentice
Dude .... That is some sweet work and great imagination .....
   ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline qbyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Awesome, looks great and project on the cheap so to speak! :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Holy Crap :woot: :thumbsup:
AW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.