New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Buffalo NY, Ice Fishing Areas  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Joshj11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hows the Ice?
Buffalo NY, Ice Fishing Areas
« on: Dec 04, 2012, 10:21 AM »
Hey Guys...I recently just moved from Rochester to Tonawanda NY (suburb of Buffalo). Since i will be spending most of my time in this area i was hoping someone could point me in the direction to some nearby hard water spots.  I mainly would like to target Perch and walleye... Pike and Sunfish would be ok as well. I have heard about Wilson Harbor (tuscarora bay) and Buffalo's downton small boat harbor. Does anyone else know of any other good spots i could hit that arent more than 20-25 minutes of a drive?  Any info would be greatly appreciated..,.. Feel free to PM me

Offline Fishin' Blues

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Buffalo NY, Ice Fishing Areas
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2012, 10:45 AM »
Within 25 minutes of Tonawanda you have a few decent options, but no "good spots". You can catch yellow perch at small boat harbor and other spots around the outer harbor as the season progresses (and ice thickens). Some of the sheltered harbors around Grand Island will give up some perch also (Beaver Island State Park marina and others). However, when Lake Erie has good ice, there is no better perch fishing anywhere.

If your willing to drive an hour or so, you can get to some good spots. Try Silver Lake for bluegill, crappie, yellow perch and the occational walleye or northern pike. Try Chautauqua Lake for yellow perch, sunfish, crappie and the occational walleye.

Good Luck
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait, heres a little tip that I would like to relate.........

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2012, 11:59 AM »
Irondequoit Bay is good too   ::)

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Does anyone else know of any other good spots i could hit that arent more than 20-25 minutes of a drive? 
Little to far for him most likely.  Over an hour easy.

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2012, 12:02 PM »
I know, I was just messing with him because thats where I go (I bay and Sodus)

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2012, 06:51 PM »
Silver Lake isn't too far away...
AW

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Fisnn' Blues nailed it....unless Lake Erie freezes you could add that to the list. Watch forum threads for the specific waters... Good Luck!
Vexilar Entertainment System

Offline Joshj11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hows the Ice?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2012, 01:01 PM »
Thanks for all the great info guys!!!! I am originally from Rochester so ive spent my fair share of time on I Bay. I guess i will be taking a drive this year. I really would like to ice some eyes seeing i never have accomplished it.  I plan on hitting up Silver Lake again this year...Last year we caught almost two buckets full of blue gil in about 4 hours. Really didnt see too many perch, but we did see the occasional Pike slide through under our hole...we would know the Pike was near because all the Blue gils would dissappear.

Offline Joshj11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hows the Ice?
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2012, 01:02 PM »
Within 25 minutes of Tonawanda you have a few decent options, but no "good spots". You can catch yellow perch at small boat harbor and other spots around the outer harbor as the season progresses (and ice thickens). Some of the sheltered harbors around Grand Island will give up some perch also (Beaver Island State Park marina and others). However, when Lake Erie has good ice, there is no better perch fishing anywhere.

If your willing to drive an hour or so, you can get to some good spots. Try Silver Lake for bluegill, crappie, yellow perch and the occational walleye or northern pike. Try Chautauqua Lake for yellow perch, sunfish, crappie and the occational walleye.

Good Luck

FG- where exactly on Erie? Where would i park or have to drive too?

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2012, 01:20 PM »
Guys usually go out of sturgeon point  or hamburg beach but you need a resident permit to park at the beach or risk a ticket. The fish can be 2mi+ offshore so bring your walking shoes.

Offline pikemaster0607

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • when in doubt go ice fishing
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2012, 06:01 PM »
IM FROM north tonawanda and they pretty much nailed all the spots there are a few smaller lakes/ponds that are very hit or miss. buffalo area is good and bad for good ice fishing. very minimal good spots 20-25min away but within an hour drive you have some of the best inland lakes at your fingertips with choice of fish you want to target
ice fishing for life

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:33 AM »
I always count on having to drive an hour or so when i go out, thats just the way it is considering where i live. I don't do lake erie, i like smaller lakes (silver, conesus, honeoye). I'd like to have a good place to go that would be 20-25 min, but i've yet to find anything.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.