New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: berkely gulp bait  (Read 3274 times)

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
berkely gulp bait
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:32 AM »
so i fished with the green gulp minnow heads yesterday at lake of the isles on a lindy toad.  I found out that my buddy using real minnow heads has about the the same success on perch.  He caught northerns I didnt but he was also jigging a pole with a rapala where I was using small panfish jigs.  And I did land some blue gills.  The fish would come up and hit it dead sticking it for 3 -4 minutes so there must be some scent that works on it.  also, in my notes i fished a spot at the end of the day i caught a couple dinks on the gulp minnow heads and went to spikes and didnt catch anything with spikes.  so i guess i will have to try them again sometime.  If they work might be a handy thing to carry with me from time to time.

Offline BobbyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: berkely gulp bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:45 AM »
Buy a jar of gulp alive 1in. minnows and u wont need bait all season. They work great for gills, perch, and crapps. I used them for the first time last year and I was sold day one.
DR Bobby J. Hardwater
Field researcher in Ice Fisheries Sciences

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:52 AM »
I use the 1" fish fry for panfish and the 3" smelt for lakers when I am jigging and it has paid for itself many times over ! :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:35 AM »
I also love the gulp...was also at lake of the isles and used the green fish fry...caught lots of perch, gills, bass, and a couple pike on little jigs tipped with it. when the bite was hot it seemed to produce bigger fish than spikes (i switch rods a lot) Mostly dink panfish in there from what i saw

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:39 AM »
Ive never had much luck with spikes or mousies on loti. Minnow heads and perch eyes always worked for me. Do they make a Gulp Alive perch eye?

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:38 PM »
I was at LotI yesterday and used white Gulp Maggots and my buddy used live spikes.  I had not one hit, he had many... Not sold one bit. I obv. used a different bait.  Will try them one more time before they take a ride to the dump.

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2012, 04:00 PM »
I have not had good luck with the white maggots version either. But have out fished everyone in my parties that used live bait with some of the other varieties. I do not even bring live bait much anymore. The stuff is amazing in the summer time too. But, of course it is like anything else when it comes to fishing baits. Some days one thing works, other days it doesn't. They are just another tool.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2012, 04:08 PM »
The small 1"  Black Shad  Crush Crappies,perch,Giant Bluegills. Last year i caught 42 fish on the same 1" black shad gulp. Im not a real fan of the maggots .
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2012, 04:12 PM »
yeah the 1inch shad are amazing! spring an summer i slam the crappie and gills with them. have to see if they work for the perch thru the non existent ice we have lol
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Although I have huge success with Gulp baits on the open water, I have not had all that much luck on the ice.  Maybe that's because it's hard to set the Maki's down   :D
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2012, 02:39 PM »
After reading more and being impressed with the chartreuse minnow heads I bought some fat head minnow heads and emerald shinner 1" minnows.  Those seemed the closest to buckeyes that I use in live bait for oneida lake eyes and perch.  Hopefully soon I will get to try them out on oneida.

Offline Mooneye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:19 PM »
I have used gulp maggots (pink and florescent red) for a couple of years.  I put a spike or mousy on the panfish jig first and then the gulp maggot.  The maggot keeps the dinks from chewing off the spike/mousy so you don't have to rebait as often.  Caught all types of panfish this way, a few pike and bass too.  Rarely use gulp maggots alone although when I have, they have produced fish.  Have not had much luck with the gulp emerald shiner but have not really fished them enough to say if they are helpful or not. 

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:33 PM »
Picked up some gulp alive fathead minnow heads and 1" emerald shinners today.  Going to give them a try in a few days.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline boogey1023

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:32 AM »
Tried the 1" minnows last ice season and I am sold will use them over live bait. Caught 2 dozen perch on one bait before i had to change it. Crappies love them too.

Offline Bambino0657

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:44 AM »
What do you put them on?  Light jig?

Offline boogey1023

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:17 PM »
Small 1/64 oz jigs mostly sometimes 1/32 oz

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:20 PM »
just like everything else they have their time and place.   When the fish are aggressive, they work great (course when the fish are aggressive, a regular plastic tail works fine)...but alot of times, in the fish's eyes,  gulp just can't replace a live maggot or minnow

Offline fishmonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2012, 01:30 PM »
I love the gulp emerald shiner in the summer, and they make a gulp trout worm that outfishes a real worm for brookies, but I just can't get results on ice with the smaller gulp baits...
Meat is murder....tasty, tasty murder

Offline Bambino0657

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2012, 07:26 AM »
Thanks.  I like them in open water for just about anything.

Offline bhebby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:59 PM »
How do you rig them on a small light jig?Through the back?mouth? vertical or horizontal presentation? Never fished it but if I can use something other than live bait that would be sweet. thanks any recommendation on size and color of bait would be awesome. I know different things work at any given time buts its always nice to have a go to bait. Thanks all

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2012, 01:03 PM »
i rig them thru the back, and fish horizontally. might try vertically this season. all depends on what the fish want. size is one inch and i use the emerald shiner color.
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Eagle Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • [img]http://i58tinypic.com/2n/c5jc.png[/img]
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2012, 03:21 PM »
My buddy Eagle Crg uses them to tip his Hali jigs and catches all kinds of panfish (crappies, bluegills, perch, rock bass and even whitefish).  He uses the pink 1" worms.

Eagle Ed

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2012, 06:08 PM »
well becasue iv heard so much of the gulp!!! i picked me up some today!!!  ;D heres what i got

fry

maggots

crawlers

1'' minnows

3'' minnows

2'' real minnows or whatever they are
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2012, 06:40 PM »
I hope you have better luck with the maggots than I have.

Offline Trakndwg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2012, 06:56 PM »
I like the 1" Gulp Minnows too. Here is a little tip if you are using minnows in the little jar with liquid. Do not snip your jig off and leave it in the jar thinking it will be there when you need it again.  :oThe jig and hook will quickly disolve and the liquid will turn so black you will not be able to see the bait within. We learn as we go... That said the disolved metal in the liquid does not seem to hurt the bait. The fish still bite it.
TRAKNDWG; women love him, fish fear him.

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:47 PM »
I hope you have better luck with the maggots than I have.

i figured if they didnt work i couled use one of them and a real spike or give them to my little brother when he fishes with me so that he can use one and one and no waste all my bait haha we will see they werent that bad priced.. they dont really look like real grubs to me but we will see if the fish think they do..
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:50 PM »
I fished black lake today used the chartreuse minnow head, fat head minnow head, and 1" emerald green shiner.  not much luck with it today.  got a few gills and sun fish with it but real mousies worked much better.  im not going to throw it away quite yet and will continue to try it. 

Offline FingerLaker607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:54 PM »
make sure you crank the lids real tight on those gulp jars!! they are notorious for leaking and that stuff stinks. for whatever reason i never have much luck with power bait compared to gulp...the fishfry gulp makes looks like a big mousey

Offline Cedar2RTO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:13 PM »
well becasue iv heard so much of the gulp!!! i picked me up some today!!!  ;D heres what i got

Used the maggots on LG last year. they seemed to work alright but not as good as Mousies.... but for the price of mousies vs the maggots they might just be worth it.
i would like to know how the other bait works out

maggots
(Image removed from quote.)

crawlers

1'' minnows

3'' minnows

2'' real minnows or whatever they are
If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs; you may have misunderstood the situation.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:34 PM »
These are "GOLD"

10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.