New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Early perch spawn at Oneida?  (Read 3284 times)

Offline sneekybobber

• IceShanty Rookie
Early perch spawn at Oneida?
« on: Mar 06, 2011, 06:50 PM »
Yesterday male perch were let loose their goo??   I have not seen this happen on the ice before.  Many females (large) look ready to go too.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Early perch spawn at Oneida?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:25 PM »
I noticed that too. My hole was getting kind of murky but the RIVER flowing into it washed it right out.

I would think that the rain would bring that water temp up pretty good. I think perch spawn after the walleyes though so even though the males are ready it should still be a while.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2011, 08:07 PM »
i noticed the same thing yesterday on the king,not all the fish i caught but some.some males seemed to be excited and oozing everywhere and some females were dripping eggs

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2011, 08:34 PM »
There will always be some ready early, I had a few females dropping eggs once on the ice more than a week ago.  Water temps still too cold, 1 or 2 thaws don't help temps that much, only start to signal to them to move in closer.  Occasionally they will start to spawn under the ice, but that's just a few, each species has the early birds that can't wait.

Offline Wind Flag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2011, 08:49 PM »
There will always be some ready early, I had a few females dropping eggs once on the ice more than a week ago.  Water temps still too cold, 1 or 2 thaws don't help temps that much, only start to signal to them to move in closer.  Occasionally they will start to spawn under the ice, but that's just a few, each species has the early birds that can't wait.
Happens to the best of us.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2011, 07:30 AM »
there is always ones that get hot to quick ::) i noticed this in eyes and perch about 2 weeks ago , water temps won't change with this rain and short thaw

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:01 AM »
Saturday we caught many that were dropping eggs. some had already dropped all the eggs.

Offline FROZENGOOSE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Iam surprized it dosent seem to me anyway, that the fish are moving into there spawn areas yet
just for the fun of it, let them go haddeck taste better

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2011, 12:40 PM »
Iam surprized it dosent seem to me anyway, that the fish are moving into there spawn areas yet
Last 2 weekends we have been on a flat in 15 to 18 FOW over 100 each per day. Nothing deeper nothing shallower.

Offline FROZENGOOSE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2011, 12:42 PM »
well at least where i have been

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2011, 01:47 PM »
Not only have perch ( also crappie) been known to spawn more than one time per year. But different fish drop at different times. Some females I've been catching the past couple weeks have been REAL lose, if not oozing row, and many are still REAL tight! Not all the fish spawn at the same time. And water temps really have nothing to do with it, it's all just a cycle. lets just say the water was never going to get very warm again, do you really think the fish would stop reproducing? It's just coincidence you happen to notice water temps when the fish usually spawn, cause it's usually around the same time each year, and the water temps are about the same at that time of year as well...
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2011, 02:11 PM »
well at least where i have been
I wasn't trying to be sarcastic if that's what you thought and i don't doubt that in your area they haven't moved in yet. I believe that it all depends on the area and timing. We also tried another pond and couldn't find them shallow any place. Went out to 35 FOW and bingo perch all over the screen.   
 Sorry GOOSE

Offline FROZENGOOSE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2011, 03:38 PM »
na buddy more joking wish they were moving more into the flats where i am at least i would know where they were hahaha

Offline gut-n-gill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2011, 06:23 PM »
i have seen this a lot in males well and in females  but water temp usually controls it all. just my opinion on what i have seeen in past

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:06 PM »
Not only have perch ( also crappie) been known to spawn more than one time per year. But different fish drop at different times. Some females I've been catching the past couple weeks have been REAL lose, if not oozing row, and many are still REAL tight! Not all the fish spawn at the same time. And water temps really have nothing to do with it, it's all just a cycle. lets just say the water was never going to get very warm again, do you really think the fish would stop reproducing? It's just coincidence you happen to notice water temps when the fish usually spawn, cause it's usually around the same time each year, and the water temps are about the same at that time of year as well...
i agree with you about the water temp and spawn,i believe that the number of hours of day light have more of an effect the temps

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:19 PM »
Not only have perch ( also crappie) been known to spawn more than one time per year. But different fish drop at different times.Amazing isn't it !
  Some females I've been catching the past couple weeks have been REAL lose, if not oozing row, They're still nowhere near spawing.  The oozing you're seeing is caused by stress that the fish suffer from being caught.  Those little bubbles of eggs that the females seem to be squirting out are not ready to be dropped as per the regular spawn.
and many are still REAL tight!   Only because they started their egg development later in the season based on where those fish were (water temperature)
  Not all the fish spawn at the same time. And water temps really have nothing to do with it, it's all just a cycle.     OK...this is where I have to say YOU'RE DEAD WRONG !
  lets just say the water was never going to get very warm again, do you really think the fish would stop reproducing?   Absolutely !   That's why in many far northern lakes, there are no warm water species such as perch !  ::) ::)
   It's just coincidence you happen to notice water temps when the fish usually spawn, cause it's usually around the same time each year, and the water temps are about the same at that time of year as well... Can you give us a hint at what you've been drinking today ? ::) ::)   C'mon John.   These comments you've made are the least accurate that I've ever seen you post and I totally respect your abilities on the ice and open water.    I believe it's time for you to take a little course in aquaculture !     I did years ago.   The whole perch spawn (as all other fish) is water temperature related !   It's not a coincidence that perch just happen to be spawning around the same time each year.  EVERYTHING pertaining to the perch spawn is in coordination with water temperature !
PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:20 PM »
i agree with you about the water temp and spawn,i believe that the number of hours of day light have more of an effect the temps

I guess I agree with both of you. The increasing daylight is what "triggers" the fish to prespawn feed and head towards the spawning grounds. Since the fish are cold blooded (that means they take on the temperature of the water they are swimming in), it takes some warmer water (different temps for every species of fish) to"loosen" up the eggs and sperm. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it....

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:35 PM »
I guess I agree with both of you. The increasing daylight is what "triggers" the fish to prespawn feed and head towards the spawning grounds.Not true !   Believe me...It's water temperature !    In controlled environments (Aquaculture) perch spawn no matter what the light conditions are.    If kept totally dark, they'll still spawn when the water temps are between 45 and the low 50 degree mark .   If kept in well lit areas, the water temp is what triggers them to spawn.  Doesn't matter how many hours of daylight there are.   They're not mammals.  To put a twist on it, you could say that coincidentally, the hours of daylight are about the same each year when the water temps are between 45 and 53 degrees  :^)  Since the fish are cold blooded (that means they take on the temperature of the water they are swimming in), it takes some warmer water (different temps for every species of fish) to"loosen" up the eggs and sperm. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it....

adam2000

« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:50 PM »
not saying whos right or wrong cause i dont know, i always thought it was water temp, but then last yr kings were in the SR in aug and that water was like bath water, so i didnt understand that

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:56 PM »
not saying whos right or wrong cause i dont know, i always thought it was water temp, but then last yr kings were in the SR in aug and that water was like bath water, so i didnt understand that
There's a HUGE difference between cold water species (Salmon, trout etc) and warm water species (perch, walleyes pike bass, panfish)
  Although the cooler waters will trigger salmon to move into the estuaries and rivers, it's the 3 year cycle that commands their desire and need to spawn ! ;)

adam2000

« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2011, 09:03 PM »
There's a HUGE difference between cold water species (Salmon, trout etc) and warm water species (perch, walleyes pike bass, panfish)
  Although the cooler waters will trigger salmon to move into the estuaries and rivers, it's the 3 year cycle that commands their desire and need to spawn ! ;)
well i know the 3 yr cycle, just thought water temp is what keyed them into moving closer to shore

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2011, 09:18 PM »
well i know the 3 yr cycle, just thought water temp is what keyed them into moving closer to shore
Water temp is part of the spawning criteria for salmon but it's not THE main factor as it is with perch and other warm water species ! ;) ;)

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2011, 07:29 AM »
Mission accomplished!!! ;D

Thanks Gamma!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Your WAY to easy, AND predictable!! Kinda like a perch spawn!!  :clap: :clap:

I was going to end my rebuttal with a....Gamma?...What do you think?  But figured it would just be more fun this way! And I was correct!!!! :roflmao:
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline gill catcher13126

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2011, 07:59 AM »
Water temp is part of the spawning criteria for salmon but it's not THE main factor as it is with perch and other warm water species ! ;) ;)
well with the salmon this year did have to do with the water temps cuz the water temps on the lake this year were crazy we had one wee kwhen the surface temp was 40 degress  and down 100 ft it was 75 ... then a week later the surface temp was 75 and you had to go out to 500 ft just to find that 40 degree temp
if there there ill catch em

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2011, 09:24 AM »
Mission accomplished!!! ;D

Thanks Gamma!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Your WAY to easy, AND predictable!! Kinda like a perch spawn!!  :clap: :clap:

I was going to end my rebuttal with a....Gamma?...What do you think?  But figured it would just be more fun this way! And I was correct!!!! :roflmao:
At least some people got an education !   And as always, if you post BS or false info, you will be exposed ! ;) ;) ;D ;D

It was a good cover up by you though ! ;D ;D

Offline Got Ice?

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish, fish to live!! Flag Man!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2011, 12:41 PM »
well with the salmon this year did have to do with the water temps cuz the water temps on the lake this year were crazy we had one wee kwhen the surface temp was 40 degress  and down 100 ft it was 75 ... then a week later the surface temp was 75 and you had to go out to 500 ft just to find that 40 degree temp

I think you better check your thermometer water is more dense when cooled to 4 degrees C it does get a little less dense when you cool it even more. thats why lakes turn over the cold water sinks.

I agree with Gamma, a course in aquaculture would help a lot fisherman understand fishing more.
In these tough times remember the ones who taught you your skills, give them some of your prize!

Offline FROZENGOOSE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2011, 01:06 PM »
Even in animals, people think the cold is what makes buck rut, its not all about how much light is in the day

adam2000

« Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2011, 02:35 PM »
Even in animals, people think the cold is what makes buck rut, its not all about how much light is in the day
first week of nov is your best shot a catching the big guy on his feet

adam2000

« Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2011, 02:39 PM »
its both actually

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 08, 2011, 02:56 PM »
well thanks for todays lesson guys. Im always learning something new from you experienced fisherman. Ive been fishing soft water since i can remember and only ice fishing for roughly 7 years. But this year i was all out when it came to being on the ice and i dont plan on that changing n the years to come. So keep all the great info coming.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.