New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Stolen Fish????  (Read 3375 times)

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Stolen Fish????
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:22 PM »
While out last week had a gull hanging nearby all day.  We figured we'd give him a little something at the end of the day in fear of attracting more of his friends if we fed him too early.

Got a nice perch on a tip-up and while walking to the bait bucket for another minnow he committed a robbery.

Guess he felt he waited long enough!

wonder why they steel fish huh??? just like a begging dog...
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:47 PM »
that sucks, probably a bird tho - happans to me often enough
Tight lines

Offline Fatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always Expect The Unexpected
« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2011, 08:55 PM »
Next time leave a jig pole attached with the bail open.  If you come out and your fish are gone you will be able reel it back in.  You will  have a nice new live  kite for  your kids to play with.

Offline ntfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:58 AM »
thats why i carry them in a old mail bag my grampa gave me easier to cary them in and they still atay cold till you can fillet them...

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:44 PM »
a few years ago we watched a herron clean out this guys bait bucket and he kept chasing it away but it would stay just out of reach and come back every time he moved away from it . we also watched a group of gulls steal perch from a guys sled on harris bay later on he said they took at least 10 fish from him so the birds may be the culprits. 

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:02 PM »
My dad said he caught a gull on zera spook (top water) while bass fishing once. The story goes like this he cast his spook out and he set the rod down to tie on another line. After he got done he looked up just in time to see the gull swoop in and grab it. He apparently hooked it in the nose hole on the birds beak and actaully brought it to the boat where it came unbuttoned just before he could grab it. So ever since, everytime i see a gull i throw a topwater out or a dead perch. They've grabed the perch and swooped at my top water but ive always ripped it away just before they grab it do i believe there is a very good chance it can happen

Offline vticeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:15 PM »
  You will  have a nice new live kite for your kids to play with.

:clap: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :woot: :bow:

Offline jroose1045

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:39 PM »
A guy on a sled flew buy one day on the sac and grabbed a couple fish laying next to my furthest tip up. I got on my wheeler and chased after him but he was going about 90 and i was going about 45. So you probably know how that went. F**k that guy, I almost feel bad for someone that needy that would steal a sandwich or two of fish. Probably sold them to get some cash to buy a new sled to get rid of his piece of sh*t.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:54 PM »
Im almost positive it was seagulls. I actually took pictures of three seagulls stealing fish out of someones sled. Naughty birds
  Guys ought to be putting their fish in their buckets as they catch them anyway & then onlookers don't see the evidence of a hot hole & less chance of company.....I always experience pocket fishermen though....They watch thru glass & once they spot catching R on ya in a heart beat.

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2011, 10:03 PM »
I'm always sittin on my bucket and as soon as I catch em they go in the bucket.Keeps them from freezing solid and more fit in the bucket this way.Eliminates any chance of thievery.That said,I've always had a soft spot for the gulls and treat them to a perch lunch regularly...they always seem soooo grateful.
I guess that explains your name. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :icefish:I'm a perch jiggin' fool myself.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:24 AM »
I guess that explains your name. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :icefish:I'm a perch jiggin' fool myself.
Exactly the meaning behind my name ;)Used to have 3 more letters on the end but one day I noticed it had been shortened.I've seen the same 3 letters incorporated in others user names ??? ???Oh well.

Offline applejacks

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:40 PM »
You're missing three perch?  Tragedy!

Offline God

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:30 PM »
I've never had any fish purloined on me while out on the ice but I knew a guy I went to school with at Riverside aeronautics in Utica back in '94 who had five guys walk up on him in the woods and take his deer.
He told us about it in school the Monday morning after the weekend it happened. He was hunting alone in the Adirondacks and shot a buck. Just as he was about to gut it five guys appeared, all had shotguns and none was wearing a tag on his back. They told him to scram. What are you going to do in that situation? Argue with them?
He did report it which is about all he could do. Remember, this was 17 years ago, there were no cell phones then so all he could do was drive to the nearest town and find somebody who would let him use their phone to call the police.
Slob "fishermen" suck. Behave or there will be lightning bolts...

Offline BigBear68

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 27, 2011, 01:55 AM »
Well I guess i need to put in my .02 :) Lets look at the facts. First I really dont think it was about the three perch. My guess it is more of the violation that you felt that they were taken from you from your space. I know how you feel. I had my GPS taken from my truck last year >:(
 If indeed it were a seagull and it took your 3 biggest fish you had out there. Well either you catch small perch and are a good fisherman cause you can lie with the best of us ;) and the bird got'em. If it was really one bird that got three 12" perch then it was one giant seagull, a Ptero-seagull if you will  ;D. Now lets see if there were 2 seagulls. Yep never heard 2 seagulls together be quiet...and I think there would be more than 3 fish missing. And most likely you would have heard them squaking.

Now if it were that guy that took them, which is what I would think, then maybe there is more too it. Again I know how you feel. But just maybe he was hungry enough to do it. I dont know. It is difficult for some people to ask for help. We all have our pride. MAybe you fed him that night or just maybe you fed his kids. I am not saying what he did was right, not at all. But in the recent economical times, maybe he is down on his luck. You said you still had plenty to eat. Well think of it as you helping out another human being and his family down on there luck. And you said you would remember his face the next time you are out on the ice. I hope you do and when you catch another mess of perch you maybe offer  some too him. Show him what a sportsman you are. This guy took 3 perch from you. He isnt gonna sell 3 perch. he would more than likely eat them.But why the biggest ones? Cause if he didnt then he would have taken 5 from you if they were the small ones. He is probably thinkin 3 is better than 5.

Well that is my .02, sorry if I offended anyone. That is not my intention. Just thought maybe someone should just look at all the facts.

BB  :)

Offline Steelhead5678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:23 PM »
One way to determine the culprit is to stop fishing for small fish, get yourself some of those nice big lakers and stand back. If a bird can pick up a 6 lb laker and fly off with it he can probably put a butt whooping on you as well.  :o

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #45 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:52 PM »
It was the seagulls, they needed the fish for a fundraiser for some flock members that got pinched by the DEC for crapping on some people's cars. They pooped on more cars than legally allowed and needed some assistance to pay their fines.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.