New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: cassadaga lakes  (Read 3318 times)

Offline wumpwump

• IceShanty Rookie
cassadaga lakes
« on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:59 PM »
Looking for another new spot and wondering if anyone has any luck on the ice at cassadaga

I could go down to the fortune tellers in lily dale first but I'll try the shanty for a good fish story first ;D ;D
Union Yes !!

Offline JonnyDarter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: cassadaga lakes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2010, 03:22 PM »
I'm interested in fishing it too.  Let me know what the soothsayers tell you.  I'm sure they'll tell you to stay off the middle lake.   ;)
Zero degrees doesn't mean zero fishing...

Offline dml78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Drive by it all the time on my way to Chautauqua and never see anyone fishing there. Must be a reason why. I think the combination of tons of snow on the ice and lots of springs on the lake bottom make for unsafe ice even during the coldest of winters.

Offline Fishin' Blues

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:19 PM »
Disappointed to hear that, I was hoping to try this lake also.  Second opinion anyone?
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait, heres a little tip that I would like to relate.........

Offline JonnyDarter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:11 PM »
I think there are fish to be caught here and we've got some "holdouts" on the info end of it.

Offline mike_leworthy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:02 PM »
ive been out on cassadaga a handful of times this year, if your shootin for panfish its a waste of time only dinks but the tip up fishin is awsome got a 38" tiger out of lilly dale and had multiple fish completely spool my tipups before bustin off :-\, there are some HUGE muskies in the lake even though you cant fish um this time of year there are a few northerns too. the ice this morning was good around 12" with a mix of black,white and slush, with around 4" of snow on top, talked too some guys who fished the main lake and they had similar results only they iced two muskies one 46" and one 48" boy would i like to tangle with one of them :o

Offline dml78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:45 PM »
I guess people do fish these lakes. Anyone ever get any size able crappies or walleye?

Offline mike_leworthy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:44 PM »
ive fished it in the spring time for crappie and do very well, we tried night fishin last year with mixed results for crappie as for waleye i have caught a few during open water but nothing spectacular, im going out on the main lake by the island in the mornin, will post results

Offline mike_leworthy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2010, 06:00 PM »
well im still on my 40" mission but boy did i come close today just three inches shy around 14 lbs, ice was around 10" with 4" being solid black ice

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2010, 06:11 PM »
I live within walking distance of where you are standing mike :)  I fish these lakes and we catch some nice tigers and once in a while perch. We, in the past, have done extremely well on crappies through the ice. We regularly catch a few 12"+ crappies in the spring and once in a while 16"+ in the spring. I know the fish cannot leave just a matter of finding them. The DEC guy I talked to was stalking a massive load of walleyes this spring and taking the pure breed musky eggs to hatch in chatauqa which is saying something seeing as though chatauqua has some of the best musky fishing in the country. Whenever a few of us are willing to drill ALOT of holes to try and find the PLENTIFUL panfish that reside in these lakes let me know I am down. I do agree they are tough to find but they are there. I really want to fish the Lily Dale lake some more as I have caught some real nice perch 10" up to 14" at other times of the year and in good numbers. You may feel like quitting ice fishing after dragging through the snow we get here but to tangle with a 32"+ tiger musky (which are in season and plentiful here) may make all the dragging and time seem worth it.  Get back to me I love these lakes.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:01 PM »
Marcus,  I think I see your house lol.  Ever find out what the DEC found out with the nets this past spring?

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:12 PM »
They were trying to catch muskies (pure strain) and I do not remember exact numbers but they were impressed. It is cool to hear they are pulling from this lake for the hatchery and for chatauqua must be a pretty healthy population in here. I have only caught one of those (pure strain muskellunge) through the ice it was not very big 24" but they sure are cool looking. We do catch enough tigers to try again.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:21 PM »
I think they were having a gathering and needed some crappie fillets for the lunch.  I would be in to trying it out one time.  Hooking on to one of them on purpose would be great.

Offline Fishin' Blues

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:43 PM »
Right on Mike!  That is a beauty.

Are those snowmobile tracks behind you?  If so it appears that the ice is plenty good for walkers
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait, heres a little tip that I would like to relate.........

Offline mike_leworthy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:53 PM »
I live within walking distance of where you are standing mike :)  I fish these lakes and we catch some nice tigers and once in a while perch. We, in the past, have done extremely well on crappies through the ice. We regularly catch a few 12"+ crappies in the spring and once in a while 16"+ in the spring. I know the fish cannot leave just a matter of finding them. The DEC guy I talked to was stalking a massive load of walleyes this spring and taking the pure breed musky eggs to hatch in chatauqa which is saying something seeing as though chatauqua has some of the best musky fishing in the country. Whenever a few of us are willing to drill ALOT of holes to try and find the PLENTIFUL panfish that reside in these lakes let me know I am down. I do agree they are tough to find but they are there. I really want to fish the Lily Dale lake some more as I have caught some real nice perch 10" up to 14" at other times of the year and in good numbers. You may feel like quitting ice fishing after dragging through the snow we get here but to tangle with a 32"+ tiger musky (which are in season and plentiful here) may make all the dragging and time seem worth it.  Get back to me I love these lakes.

i have never been able to find any big crappie in cassadaga, but lots of midsized ones in the spring time, bear lake on the other hand has hands down the best crappie fishin i have experienced with my biggest being 16" but i have never managed a single fish out of bear lake through the ice. any suggestions on were to find some of the walleye that they stock i have only ever got them by chance panfishing? as for the muskies well like i said the one in the picture says it all, too bad it was the only fish we got today but im going to try some of the other large weedbeds  throughout the lake and hopefully succeed on my 40" mission.

yea there were a ton of snow mobile tracks out there the ice was around 10" but getting slushy on top

oh yea and anyone who was wondering that dead thing on the ice in the big lake is swan that was pick clean....RIP lilly or maybe dale, i couldnt tell

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Picked clean,  Wonder if the Coyotes were getting hungry.  I would try in front of the beach, out a couple hundred yards.  Its a rocky bottom over there, and have caught the eyes there in the past.

Offline JonnyDarter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:05 PM »
Congrats, nice clean Muskie bro.  I'm assuming that's the Lower Lake?  There's a couple nice deep holes down there...just hoping the ice is safe/easy enough to tread on by Sunday.  

Offline icefsher321

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:58 PM »
I will be out there in the AM around 8 hopefully.  If anybody wants to stop by I'll be in the black HT one man hut or walking around with a black sled.

Offline icefsher321

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:21 PM »
Fished out in front of the beach today, in all depths...found no walters using large emeralds and chubs, but did find schools of perch at exactly 20 and 40 FOW...any suggestions on where to look for calicos?  Shallow bays?  Or any other walleye tips would be greatly appreciated...I'll be out there tomorrow, say hi to the guy in the black HT one man if you see me, I'll be out there before you!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:31 PM »
when we used to do well we fished in 7-12 fow in the weeds directly across the lake from where you were today. We have not been able to find ANY since. As far as the walleyes only guy I ever talked to that claims to have caught walleye through the ice was fishing in the deep holes on either side of the point where the water drops real fast. We have some thoughts on where the crappie may go just have not gotten after them yet. I would like to fish the Lily Dale lake in the 30 or so foot area just before the outlet to mud lake or out in front of camp gross beach. Remember these are just my thoughts. I am bringing the 8 yr old out in the rain tomorrow so we are gonna hit chatauqua it is easier to keep him interested if we are catching. Myself and some friends will be hitting the areas I suggested the evenings this week. Good luck out there.

Offline fish up!!

• IceShanty Rookie
  • which one of you guys ate all the minows!!!Thanks
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:26 PM »
marcus or gamehog , if your ever fishing cassadaga on a weekend let me no. i'm down for drillin some holes. mabe even barrow my buddies jiffy! I know off topic but gotta say it can't wait till feb 6   it's coming near !!! PUMPED!!!
Thanks Dale    Stay on top!

Offline mike_leworthy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2010, 03:08 PM »
fished lilly dale over the weekend with Huntsnw and well im still on the forty inch mission but boy was it a good
36"

Huntsnw with his 34" musky

and 38"...not bad for 3 hours of fishin, the secret seems to be gettin there in the mornin the first flag was at 9:00 and the other two within an hour or so after that....darn i wish i wasnt away at school or id be there everyday

Offline mike_leworthy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2010, 03:10 PM »

woops heres the 36"er

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2010, 03:45 PM »
Wow, them are some pigs especially for that lake.  Congrats.

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2010, 04:01 PM »
Marcus or Game Hog
I would be interested in fishing for musky myself on Cassadaga Lake.  In all my days never caught a musky...
Biggest fish I catch thru the hard water is 36" Northern in Braddock Bay.
Caught four that day smallest one just a tad over 30".

See ya Saturday
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2010, 04:05 PM »
Talk with this guy up here.  He seems to have them skis all figured out.  Mike_Leworthy the musky man.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.