New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chatauqua Lake/fishing reports..  (Read 3307 times)

Offline eddiew_29

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Chatauqua Lake/fishing reports..
« Reply #30 on: Feb 10, 2009, 03:00 PM »
walleye fishing has been pretty dull this year..pretty nice to see the lack of white perch!! havent caught one yet this year!! keeping my fingers crossed that they are mostly gone!!

Offline doctariAFC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Stop yer squealin' and start reelin'!"
« Reply #31 on: Feb 10, 2009, 03:46 PM »
walleye fishing has been pretty dull this year..pretty nice to see the lack of white perch!! havent caught one yet this year!! keeping my fingers crossed that they are mostly gone!!
No doubt.  I've seen one caught all year thus far.

Perhaps the yellow perch dine on white perch eggs?  That would be nice.

Although I have to say, those whities were a great walleye indicator, at least for me.  Afternoon bite would always be signified by frenzied white perch action for about an hour, then it was walleye galore, like clockwork.  Walleye are definitely there, but they have LOTS of options on the menu.

Event this weekend remains on for now.  Hope everything holds up tomorrow, then a quick return to the freezer.....

Ol' Doctari
2014 Recording Sec Erie County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs
2014 Secretary Western NY Environmental Federation
Erie County Fisheries Advisory Board
Region 9 Rep NYSCC Big Game Committee - 2014 Co-Chair
Member NYSOWA
Member Northern Chautauqua Conservation Club
Member Audubon Fishing Club
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline bingsbaits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 10, 2009, 04:43 PM »
Was out of LP today..Got a couple dozen nice perch...Got to use the aqua vu for the first time...That was pretty cool....

When I was getting ready to leave two fellas in a Ranger pickup truck drove out where I was to see how the fishing was.They never did fish. Ice was gooooooood.......
Don't Pi$$ down my back and tell me it's raining!!!

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:16 PM »
   The reports thread is open again, but I think I'll do my reporting on this page...less likely to get locked.  Fished Maple Springs tonight from 3-730  As usual, the perch were cooperative, but the 'eyes were not.  Not a single hit after dark.  Lot's of lookers, no takers.  Ice was a healthy 12" where I was at, however, there are areas where the runoff has eroded that has opened large holes.  One of these holes was about 2 feet in diameter and growing...Just watch where you are going and you'll be fine.

Offline jolie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 11, 2009, 02:52 PM »
since this is the chat page-- a good place to ask questions!

where do the crappies hang out and has anyone been there since the rain? no exact locations needed but Smith boys? lakewood rod?? or are they deeper.

is it even possible friday nite is SAFE?  (not into walking the plank)
ice fishing;  I'm cold just thinking about it! lol

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2009, 02:59 PM »
no planks needed   I have yet to find the crappies this year but I know they should be at least heading to shallow water maybe deep weededges that drop into deeper water? usually I wait another week or so and then go to mayville or burtis they are usually there by then. We caught some at long point tucked into the corner last year but not great  hear they get them near he creek in dewitville once in a while also I would avoid the creeks for a few though...I had planned on fishing early tomorrow but i think the gale+ force winds predicted have changed my mind I will wait til friday and I will post reports ...

Offline eddiew_29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 11, 2009, 05:46 PM »
ice was still just fine tonight guys.. just a bi$ch walking on the stuff!! dont look like its goin anywhere soon!!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 11, 2009, 06:07 PM »
thanks eddie  that is what I figured I will be back at it friday.

Offline Z-Ray

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "love them crappies"
« Reply #38 on: Feb 11, 2009, 06:29 PM »
since this is the chat page-- a good place to ask questions!

where do the crappies hang out and has anyone been there since the rain? no exact locations needed but Smith boys? lakewood rod?? or are they deeper.

is it even possible friday nite is SAFE?  (not into walking the plank)
i have not seen may crappie this year! i work by smith boys & see the amish out on the bay to the right of marina. i talked to a couple of them @ LCD & they clam to only be getting "some" small gills but they have ben there every day all week ??????  smith boys is one of the first canals to get a good catch of crappie in the spring so I'm sure there out there some where! be ware of the creek flows tho the canals @ smith boys & tri james camp ground have alot of run off!!! :icefish:
R.E.J.

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
« Reply #39 on: Feb 11, 2009, 08:32 PM »
whats a good bait store to go to out there? When I was a kid my grandpa and I used to go to one with him that was on the hill overlooking the lake it was on 394 on the left going towards goodmorning farm.
I looked on google maps and it looks like the only one close is Happy Hooker

Offline eddiew_29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 11, 2009, 08:36 PM »
whats a good bait store to go to out there? When I was a kid my grandpa and I used to go to one with him that was on the hill overlooking the lake it was on 394 on the left going towards goodmorning farm.
I looked on google maps and it looks like the only one close is Happy Hooker
hogans hut also sells a bunch of bait. they are right off of rt86 in stowe. right across the lake from bemus point

Offline PERCHKILLER30

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 11, 2009, 09:26 PM »
hows the ice holding up gonna get cold calling for 4-7in of snow and white outs tomar so that means freezing temps and its susposed to be cold for the next 15 days according to the 15day forecast which means the lake should lock up nicely and hopefully the walleye will start to turn on
case lake tourney 5th in trout 2009- cuba lake 2005 biggest perch harwood lake tourney 2nd in crappie 2010

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 11, 2009, 09:53 PM »
The ice is fine and hopefully this minor thaw will get the walleye to hit they are down there just not hitting then once daylight hits I am having a hard time keeping the perch off... gonna try suckers and BIG goldens friday maybe that will do it. Anyone try right before the storms moved in?   I really wished I had gone down for the pm bite I bet it was incredible... oh well friday morn bigger baits...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.