New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandy pond  (Read 28982 times)

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sandy pond
« Reply #210 on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:59 PM »
Was planning on heading to the pond this week with my daughter for some perch.  Where's the best spot to head right now (Wigwam, Elms, or GP)??  I think she would be happier with quantity over quality.

Any hints on presentation??

Have only been to the Pond a couple of times and know the area, but not the fishing.

Thanks
I have been fishing of the Elms. Took my 7 year old out Monday from 8-11am, and there wasn't a min she didn't have a fish on. She even caught a 24 inch pike on a jig rod. We did catch some slobs, but she was happy with anything. Just about anything you drop to them they were hitting. I had my best luck with a hammerd copper sweedish pimple (a pike stole it on me). I was using fatheads. Head out to where all the shantys are. It is a bit of a walk, but worth it.

Offline year-round-fishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #211 on: Jan 19, 2011, 02:17 PM »
Has any buddy fished the channel side of the island yet? I'v been out on the pond 10 times now and no one has come close to it. 

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #212 on: Jan 19, 2011, 02:23 PM »
There has been a few people over there

Offline gill catcher13126

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #213 on: Jan 19, 2011, 10:13 PM »
has anyone fished gp? i was thinking about heading out this weekend after sum gills and crappies.
if there there ill catch em

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #214 on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:26 AM »
I fished GP last nite, what a crappy evening & I don't mean fish.  I've had them dialed in pretty good this yr, but not last night.  Started by getting truck stuck in a hole in the parking lot  :%$#!: :%$#!: Had to dig it out by hand with a tire iron to break up the hard pack.  Lost 30 mins of fishing.  Got out there, setup BAM 2 almost instantly both lost at the hole, one was in the running for best of yr. Marked LOTS of fish was able to jig them in easily, but they just wanted to look.  I dropped everything from 3mm fiskas up to big Caty's.  So I started trying different stuff, popped a few on whole Rosie's on a orange dot caty glow.  Never dropped rosies for craps.  I bought them for perch this morning.  I was just trying everything.  I'd have tried the peanuts I was eating if I could've got them to stay on the jig  :-\ ::).  All in all though, at least I was fishing.  Wound up with 9 keepers & 3 gills. 
When I was picking up bait last night at Salmon River Sports, I was told someone pulled a 30" 11lb eye out of the Pond yesterday  :o :o  Said it was the biggest they'd ever seen outa there. 
Good luck all, off to the Elms.

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #215 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:34 AM »
wow ll lbs thats a beauty hows the snow and slush conditions out there

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #216 on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:01 AM »
I fished GP last nite, what a crappy evening & I don't mean fish.  I've had them dialed in pretty good this yr, but not last night.  Started by getting truck stuck in a hole in the parking lot  :%$#!: :%$#!: Had to dig it out by hand with a tire iron to break up the hard pack.  Lost 30 mins of fishing.  Got out there, setup BAM 2 almost instantly both lost at the hole, one was in the running for best of yr. Marked LOTS of fish was able to jig them in easily, but they just wanted to look.  I dropped everything from 3mm fiskas up to big Caty's.  So I started trying different stuff, popped a few on whole Rosie's on a orange dot caty glow.  Never dropped rosies for craps.  I bought them for perch this morning.  I was just trying everything.  I'd have tried the peanuts I was eating if I could've got them to stay on the jig  :-\ ::).  All in all though, at least I was fishing.  Wound up with 9 keepers & 3 gills. 
When I was picking up bait last night at Salmon River Sports, I was told someone pulled a 30" 11lb eye out of the Pond yesterday  :o :o  Said it was the biggest they'd ever seen outa there. 
Good luck all, off to the Elms.

sorry your day started out crappie. but atleast u got a few its better then nothing. were at green point do u have them pin pointed at? just pm me. thank you.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #217 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:25 PM »
Snow & slush is easy traveling now, a few inches, but wind blown down, slush has froze up nicely. (except by the ramp at the elms, that's still a mess).
I fell once saw others falling too.  Today lots of bare ice covered with the inch or so of fresh powder, a bit slick, will be wearing creepers tommorrow.  Ice is 7-8 black with a couple white on top of that.  Water is VERY clear for the pond.  I fished 13 fow could almost sight fish at the bottom.  I did close up the windows & sight 8-10 down.  Cool to watch 'em hit.  Lots were hitting the sinker on my deadstick rather than the minnow. 
Good luck!

Offline 8POINT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #218 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:37 PM »
have only been ice fishin for two years. live in the wilson area and started at tusk state park. the fishing is slow some times so have been going to a couple other spots. where is this sandy pond u speak of?

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #219 on: Jan 21, 2011, 05:27 AM »

were at green point do u have them pin pointed at? just pm me. thank you.

In roughly 8 fow  ::) Sorry not to be a smartarse, but I've spent countless hours trying to figure this out.  I started chasing these buggers last year, I prefer perch over other pans (except slabs) yet I still fish GP just to learn.  I'm happy to share some info, I often post what I've tried, what worked, what didn't.   However exact methods or locations??  :cookoo:   
Good luck.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #220 on: Jan 21, 2011, 06:37 AM »
 11 lb eye off the pond is a fact

Offline BEXX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #221 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:48 AM »
TOWNZEE do think a three wheeler will be fine to bring to sandy pond or is the snow to deep   thanks bexx

Offline sandyponder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #222 on: Jan 21, 2011, 07:54 AM »
I'm not townzee but there are 4 wheelers and sleds all over, just be careful where the creeks come in, the aren't frozen hard and it could be kinda mushy there.  About 9" of black ice in the middle, 5" of super fluffy snow last night.

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #223 on: Jan 21, 2011, 09:49 AM »
Not sure. I haven't been out since Monday. Ice is good enough, not sure on all the snow we are getting though. I am hoping to make it out Sunday for a few hous. Just got a 4x4 wheeler, so kind of want to test it out.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #224 on: Jan 21, 2011, 01:00 PM »
NO 3 wheeler!  I just left the whiteout & blizzard at GP.  I was only one out there till about 9, 2 more showed up.  The ice was sinking all morning.  Walk out had 2-3" of slush once you were 100+/- yards out.  On the way back in Slush almost all the way, and the 2-3" areas became 4-6".  Snowing HARD.  You couldn't see where you were until you were within 50-60 yards of the docks.  That was 2 hours ago, Radar still shows heavy band there can't immagine how much slush now  :(.   Bite was a little tough, bring your finesse game.  Lots of fish came on less than a light bite, just mouthing it. 
Good luck.

Offline lovetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #225 on: Jan 22, 2011, 12:31 PM »
How is the snow at the pond?  Going Sunday.  Want to bring the 4 wheeler.  Thanx.   

Offline csmolins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #226 on: Jan 22, 2011, 05:08 PM »
How is the snow at the pond?  Going Sunday.  Want to bring the 4 wheeler.  Thanx.   
Fished the pond today.  Bite was a little better today....still a bit slow.  There was more snow today....and still plenty areas of slushiness.  Saw a couple of 4-wheelers get stuck today.  The cold might help.

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #227 on: Jan 22, 2011, 10:53 PM »
lots of slush! If you bring the wheeler don't let off...

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #228 on: Jan 22, 2011, 11:05 PM »
Fished the pond today in my normal "honey hole" did pretty well with 37 keepers over 9", had 4 over 12". had to sort through alot of dinks (hundreds) but all in all a good day. There was no wind so it didn't feel as cold as it really was out there. headed back tomorrow late morning.

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #229 on: Jan 24, 2011, 02:42 PM »

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #230 on: Jan 24, 2011, 03:34 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

can anyone enter or do u have to be a member?

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #231 on: Jan 24, 2011, 04:21 PM »

can anyone enter or do u have to be a member?

anyone

Offline timmay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #232 on: Jan 24, 2011, 04:24 PM »
hows the ice after this last storm? anyone know?

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #233 on: Jan 24, 2011, 05:09 PM »
was out saturday there was 8-10" of ice and lots of snow and lots of slush on top.

Offline sergeantworm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #234 on: Jan 24, 2011, 05:26 PM »
Haved fished off wigwam many times but want to try the elms or green point. Any recommendations?

Offline RebelIceFshr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #235 on: Jan 28, 2011, 08:42 AM »
Was on the pond Wed.
Hard snow off the WigWam, a mile out slush and standing water everywhere.
Fishing was very slow, lots of dinks.
We'll be out this weekend, hoping to bring the family and some friends with kids for some fishing and cooking out.

Drop by and say , "hey".  Look for the flag.

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • AT THE SOUND OF MY NAME, FISH TREMBLE!
« Reply #236 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:15 PM »
I will be out there sunday getting some practice for the following weekend. looking for that 300dollar pay check!

Offline bigbuck326

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 570 240 2001
« Reply #237 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:26 PM »
SP u are luck practice  ;D ;D Hopefully sign up 100 entries , payout 300 dollars to winner :o :) :)  and  if over 100 will increase payout $$$$  200 entries the prize will be 600 dollars on 1st place....

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • AT THE SOUND OF MY NAME, FISH TREMBLE!
« Reply #238 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:38 PM »
six hundred is better than three hundred.

Offline Mr. Jitterbugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #239 on: Jan 28, 2011, 04:30 PM »
is the slush all frozen up yet, atleast enoguh that I can walk on top without getting my feet soaked???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.