Author Topic: heating a bait tank  (Read 4348 times)

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
heating a bait tank
« on: Dec 20, 2011, 02:13 PM »
I am using a 15 cubic foot chest freezer as a bait tank that is kept in an unheated shed.  With my homemade gravity fed bucket filter it holds about 75 gallons of water. I bought a 1000 watt livestock tank de-icer to keep everything from freezing but its internal thermostat is heating the water to 61 degrees.  Does anybody have any ideas to keep the water temperature and my electric use lower?  I was thinking of using a timer for the heater setting it for 4 hours off and 2 hours on,  then adjusting the times to keep the water between 40-45 degrees.  I would like to know what has worked for some of you and am open to untried ideas,  too.

Offline ftwchopper

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: heating a bait tank
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2011, 10:04 PM »
Im going to try a 100 watt aquarium heater on a timer when it gets a bit colder.Last season my water pump froze and it killed it.
Maybe run the heater one hour on and two off....it all depends on ambiant temperature...It may be trial and eror till i get it right.
im thinking also a 40 watt bulb suspended above the tank in a reflector clip lamp could work.........

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2011, 02:10 PM »
I was able to reach the company that made my heater.  They told me that the built in thermostat is set to turn the heater on at 43 degrees and turn it off at 60 degrees.  The woman I spoke to said they don't print that on the box or the manual because if they did, they would get too many calls if it was one or two degrees off.  She gave me the part number of a heater with a manual thermostat that can be set anywhere from 40 to 60 degrees. It seems that trapping and keeping live bait ends up costing about $40/dozen for shiners and dace. 

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2011, 06:27 PM »
I was able to reach the company that made my heater.  They told me that the built in thermostat is set to turn the heater on at 43 degrees and turn it off at 60 degrees.  The woman I spoke to said they don't print that on the box or the manual because if they did, they would get too many calls if it was one or two degrees off.  She gave me the part number of a heater with a manual thermostat that can be set anywhere from 40 to 60 degrees. It seems that trapping and keeping live bait ends up costing about $40/dozen for shiners and dace.
there aint no cheap bait the aquarium heater will work non stop, that is a hundred watt bulb is i think 13 cents a day or 26$ for the season about 20 dozen minnies at the bait shop
GOD BLESS
MO
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2011, 04:50 AM »
I use a 100 watt light bulb with a timer and adjust the time depending on the temp.

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2011, 02:47 PM »
I use a 100 watt light bulb with a timer and adjust the time depending on the temp.
X2
Probably have the bulb on for an hour off for two. It'll be trail and error but if you can keep the freezer door/lid closed as much as you can it shouldn't take much to keep from freezing. Careful for condensation build up and a drop lands on your bulb and POP, breaks the bulb.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:59 PM »
I usually try to make sure that I have plenty of water flow and make sure that my aerators are bubbling away and usually I'm good to go.   Although tonight with temps dipping down to -15 to -30 I set uup some aquarium heaters in the tanks to keep them from freezing solid.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:24 PM »
hey 9huskies there are 2 kinds of heaters for livestock 1 will warm it up 70 or more and is usually a metal tube with holes the other one usaully keeps it right above freezing and is round like a plate.i dont know how you are getting water to your filter but i have had my hoses to the filter freeze with heater in tank.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:37 AM »
In my 300 gal bait tank I put a 250 watt aquarium heater,  Luckily it has a manual thermostat on it and has its lowest setting at 50.  Its worked great so far.  Its not getting to 50degs but to about 36-40.  Which is perfect, I'm just keeping it on, I've got 600 shiners in there.  My Fatheads and dace I put a small 50watt aquarium heater in it,  Its keeping that tank just above freezing.   

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:30 AM »
I have a 55 gallon tank outside insulated with 1/2 inch foil insulation I only use a 75 watt light bulb at the surface, only turn it on at night..  A dual airrator from wally world works great for keeping the water moving at all times.Oh ya a 30 gallon filter system from wally world two. Used this method for 20 years now. :)

[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:14 AM »
I am using a 15 cubic foot chest freezer as a bait tank that is kept in an unheated shed.  With my homemade gravity fed bucket filter it holds about 75 gallons of water. I bought a 1000 watt livestock tank de-icer to keep everything from freezing but its internal thermostat is heating the water to 61 degrees.  Does anybody have any ideas to keep the water temperature and my electric use lower?  I was thinking of using a timer for the heater setting it for 4 hours off and 2 hours on,  then adjusting the times to keep the water between 40-45 degrees.  I would like to know what has worked for some of you and am open to untried ideas,  too.

i to use a old chest freezer i keep my lid closed most of the time or stick a board under lid to keep it open a little bit i use a filter system from wally world plus a areator which keeps water moving an not freezing if im home i will open lid all day not had any problemss in the 6 plus yrs ive had it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.