The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Sharpening an auger blade??  (Read 4335 times)

royalfish

Sharpening an auger blade??
« on: Jan 12, 2004, 06:13 PM »
Just wondering if it is possible to sharpen the blade on a jiffy model 30/70??  I Don't know if model or make makes a difference but I added it just incase.  

Offline geeroadoutfitters

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:Sharpening an auger blade??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2004, 11:03 AM »

What about sharpening hand auger blades?? I have a Mora hand auger with 8" blades. New blades cost about $18 a set,hate to buy new ones every year. Do those little hand sharpeners you see at the tackle shops work??? Any info will be appreciated.

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2004, 11:08 AM »

For get it just read page two!!!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2004, 12:45 PM »

Fishmon

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2004, 12:51 PM »
Check with your local bait shop.  A lot of them offer sharpening service.  I just had some blades for a lazer auger sharpened at Fish 307.com (Lake George area -they use a machine shop) for $8.  The blades are as good or better than new and cut like crazy.  

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2004, 08:01 AM »
I also have a Mora 8" auger which was converted to a power auger several years ago, anyway we have two sets of blades and always bring the spares with us. To answer your question yes they can be sharpended at home as long as you heed one rule and that is to ONLY SHARPEN THE TOP OF BLADE!!!!! Do not even try to put a slight edge on the bottom(cutting side down to ice) or you have totally destroyed the very critical cutting angle. The blade will just ride on top of the ice and not dig into! -Good Luck!

What about sharpening hand auger blades?? I have a Mora hand auger with 8" blades. New blades cost about $18 a set,hate to buy new ones every year. Do those little hand sharpeners you see at the tackle shops work??? Any info will be appreciated.
People think we're crazy but we know better!

Offline crapyking

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I like crappies!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2004, 05:06 PM »
DON'T!! tried it once & just about had a heatattack trying to cut thru ice. spend the $ once a year ;)

shiner

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2004, 06:43 PM »
I have sharpened my 6"mora before and has worked great !I have a gatco or any knife sharpening kit clamp it in the vise about halve way find the right angle and use the fine stone and sharpen as you would a knife. But do not and I repeat DO NOT touch the bottom of the blade !!! As long as the blade is not chipped or knicked to bad It sould work ok.  
         SHINER 8)

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2004, 11:04 PM »
Thanks for the advise,I'll try it,what have I got to lose?,They don't work anyway!!!

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2004, 05:12 AM »
My father in law sharpens his every couple of years and man can you tell the difference after he just sharpens it. It's like cutting butter.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2004, 06:39 AM »
Wait dont spend money on a mora, instead go buy a laser auger the blades last 10 times longer and cut 100 times better. Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2004, 06:49 AM »
FROZEN BUTTER??? ??? GET NEW BLADES WORTH EVERY PENNY ;) ,ONCE YOU HAVE TWO (ALWAYS WANT A SPARE WITH YOU)YOU CAN HAVE THEM SHARPENED PROFESSIONALLY AND THEN AT LEAST IF THEY DONT CUT LIKE YOU WANT THEM TO :(, YOU CAN HOLD SOMEONE ACCOUNTABLE :-\,THEY WILL USUALLY TRY AGAIN FOR FREE OR REPLACE YOUR BLADES :D,BUT MOST MACHINE SHOPS WILL DO A GOOD JOB FOR YOU ;).GOOD LUCK ;D

acsacmboy

« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2004, 03:15 PM »
we have sharpened our blades but it still doesnt want to cut. could it be the angle the blade are at? or the pitch the blades have.   6 inch mora auger. the blades look more horizontial than at an angle.

shiner

« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2004, 06:02 PM »
 Did you but them back on the right way? Have you shimed them? Has the auger been banger on the ice hard ? Could be a combination of different things! Try shimming them . Good Luck !       SHINER 8)
we have sharpened our blades but it still doesnt want to cut. could it be the angle the blade are at? or the pitch the blades have.   6 inch mora auger. the blades look more horizontial than at an angle.

nuke1neil

« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2004, 08:11 PM »
Bigredonice,thanks for puttin that jiffy link on here.good info.n1n

Ice Gido

« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2004, 08:31 PM »

raleigh

« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2004, 10:38 PM »
Well thanks people...... That helps me out with my problim to........My augur would just spin on top of the ice and not cut.....I tryed sharping the blades and that diddent help.....Than i tryed shiming the blades and that diddent help very much......So i just gave in and went and bought new blades......Now it works great. I own an eskimo hand augur, an it drilled about 50 holes in about 10 to 14 inches of ice before the blades went bad.

fishrmanron

« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2004, 10:03 PM »
Fish307in lake george has resharpened blades but you must exchange your old blades, as has been said DO NOT TOUCH THE BOTTOM SIDE OF YOUR BLADES  if you try it yourself or they will be ruined. Also a major problem to be found, DO NOT BANG YOUR AUGER ON THE ICE to clear off frozen ice it will bend your bit and then all the newest blades made will never allow it to cut again. Be smart, spend $8 or buy new ones.

raleigh

« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2004, 03:39 PM »
Well we just found a place in Grand Junction Colorado called the (Sharper edge ) and they will sharpen your blades for 4 dollars. We will get them back on monday and i will let you know how they work.

maine-ly backward

« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2004, 05:38 AM »
I always sharpened my own blades with a file and stone with so-so results. Found Fish307.com this year and tried them. The first "exchange" blade they sent me didn't work at all but just spun on top of the ice. I contacted them and told them I was less than pleased and they sent me a brand new blade. I guess the lesson I learned was that: 1. This is a pretty good company to deal  with (any business can make an error, it's how they treat the customer afterward)
2. Next time I will request my own blade back, even though this takes a few more days.

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2004, 07:41 AM »
leave it alone  & get them sharpand  at a machine shop
we also did it  that way  &  they just spun around
took 2 guys to drill 4 holes
not good
]
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.