The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Propane or electric?? Help me decide  (Read 6426 times)

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Propane or electric?? Help me decide
« Reply #30 on: Oct 04, 2014, 07:35 PM »
Ihave been through the hand auger,drill attachment,gas (2stroke),and just love the propane auger.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Oct 05, 2014, 09:58 AM »
I know the mora hand auger is not the fastest thing on earth but I tried it on my tanaka and it ripped through the ice very fast. Try that on an ice gator . Otherwise take a look at the tanaka. Very light weight power head! That clam drill plate looks like a good option too. I just like gas motor.
Fishin red lines

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Oct 05, 2014, 05:33 PM »
I went with an Electra laser a few years ago . I have both 8" &  6" augers for it I swap out. The charging options were true selling point for me. I can drill 48 holes with a 6" thru 21" of ice &  41 with the 8". This augar uses the same battery as my fish finder ($30) and I am still on the original battery. I can run it off my 4 wheeler or charge it if I move on the lake or if I pack up to move to a different lake I can charge it in the truck while I am driving. Less mess (gas & oil) no bottles . It's not the fastest augar out there , but it gets it done!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Oct 06, 2014, 02:01 AM »
for the propane users, have you noticed any kind of step down as far as torque/cutting power goes?

i'm looking at buying a new power auger, and the propane augers are really looking good to me. my only hold up being that i've heard several reports that they're not as powerful as regular gas augers.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Oct 06, 2014, 09:25 AM »
for the propane users, have you noticed any kind of step down as far as torque/cutting power goes?

i'm looking at buying a new power auger, and the propane augers are really looking good to me. my only hold up being that i've heard several reports that they're not as powerful as regular gas augers.
Not sure there is much truth to what you have heard. Have seen a few jiffy pro 4's in action and there is by no means less power than a gas rig. Whether its gas or propane as long as the size of engine is the same there should not be a noticeable difference.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Oct 06, 2014, 12:12 PM »

The only time I notice a lack of power is when it is -10*F or colder. The propane does not flow as well and there is a significant loss of power. I can still drill a 10" hole through 30+" of ice, it just takes a little longer. Other than those extreme cold temps, no, I have not noticed a step down from say a model 30.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Oct 06, 2014, 12:50 PM »
I've had my Jiffy pro4 for 3 years now and I love the thing, I would never get anything else! It's clean, has plenty of power, and I get 150-200 holes on a single can of propane. I was shocked when I first started using it, I just kept drilling holes to try and kill the first cylinder! It's also been very reliable, starts right up on the second pull ever time. The only drawbacks are that it's a little heavier than most gas models (except for the new pro4 lite) and you have to lay it a certain way, if it's laid down the wrong way the unit gets flooded. Overall it's the best $500 I've ever spent.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 12, 2014, 05:40 PM »
Redneck, your experience helps a bit with my next question which is about longevity. i'm mostly looking at propane because i hate mixing gas and oil, plus with the prices of gas nowadays propane would cut a huge chunk out of the price to go fishing. all that money and hassle saving goes out the window if i have to pay someone to fix the thing within a year or two. also, is there any kind of unusual maintenance

thanks for your input guys! you've been a ton of help so far.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Oct 12, 2014, 07:32 PM »
Propane is convenient cause you don't have to mix gas or have fuel spills in your truck or sled or on clothing. I doubt there is a cost saving for fuel being burned though. Those 1lb cylinders are $2.50+ each. I probably go through 3 or 4 a season. $10 of gas/oil mix would easily get me through 2 seasons. I read somewhere that a 1lb cylinder would equal ~ 3/4 tank of gas/oil mix on ice augers. Point being, either way fuel expense for an ice auger is minimal when you consider cost of bait, fuel in a 4 wheeler, snowmobile, 4X4, propane heater, beer, etc...
The local Jiffy authorized tech around here told me he has had to adjust the carbs on a few of those propane augers right out of the box under warranty. Some people also had issues with fuel leaks the first couple of years. I've had good luck with mine.
A byproduct of burning propane is H2O. Moisture does build up inside the combustion chamber and quickly contaminates the oil. I usually change my oil midway through the season and at the end of the season before storage. The other thing I personally do is spray fogging oil into the cylinder and turn the motor over several times and burn any remaining fuel that is in the lines. When I take it out of storage, I run it for several minutes to burn up the fogging oil, then I change the plug and engine oil again. This may seem excessive to some. I don't purchase the little 6oz  jiffy 0W40 synthetic, I bought a quart of mobil 1 0W40 and use the little jiffy bottle as a measuring device.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Oct 13, 2014, 08:53 AM »
Redneck, your experience helps a bit with my next question which is about longevity. i'm mostly looking at propane because i hate mixing gas and oil, plus with the prices of gas nowadays propane would cut a huge chunk out of the price to go fishing. all that money and hassle saving goes out the window if i have to pay someone to fix the thing within a year or two. also, is there any kind of unusual maintenance

thanks for your input guys! you've been a ton of help so far.

As far as longevity is concerned there isn't anyone walking around with one that they've been using for 20 years who can attest to it because they're only a few years old. I can't imagine why it wouldn't last a long time though because propane engines have been around for a long time and they all seem to last, and the Jiffy pro4 seems very well made. In the first year or two of production there were a few bugs, but they've all been worked out at this point. There isn't any kind of special maintenance involved with them, actually there really isn't any maintenance at all. The only thing with them is that you have to lay it down so that the spark plug faces up or it floods the engine. I drain the oil out at the end of every season for storage. I've never had a problem with mine and this is my third season with it. Everyone I've heard from who has had a problem with it got good service from Jiffy, who seemed pretty willing to replace whatever part became damaged. It's a lot of money to lay out but it seems like a pretty safe bet. I'm very happy with mine! I'm glad I took the risk.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Oct 13, 2014, 08:54 AM »
I am purchasing a new auger this year, and for me it was down to propane or electric.  Initially I thought propane was what I was going to end up with (I'm a Jiffy man), but after using a Pro4 and ION last winter.  I decided to go with the ION. You need to keep both a battery and propane bottle warm to perform correctly some days. I figured keeping a battery in a lunch box with a handwarmer, or in my jacket would be simple enough.  Also easier to keep warm between uses while out on the ice on really cold days, by simply just sliding the battery off and into the lunch box or jacket.  With the ION I can also attach both my 6 and 8 inch Fin Bor hand augers to it.  The ION 8in version weighs only 22lbs (6lbs lighter than pro4 lite).  I don't have to deal with a combustion engine at all.  I fish Lake Champlain where you are allowed 15 lines per person, so 40 8in holes thru 24in of ice on a single charge works well for what I need. 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Oct 13, 2014, 11:51 AM »
does the ION have as much cutting power as the propane? How much does the battery cost?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #42 on: Oct 13, 2014, 12:03 PM »
Having used a ION may times I can say it has lots of cutting power and it is great to just hit a button and the hole is being cut... Don't know what the batteries are running fro right now... But like most batteries (or engines) if you take good care of them they will last a long time... Leave a battery dead for long periods of time, don't charge them at the right voltage or keep trying to use them when they are mostly dead and they will not last...

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Oct 13, 2014, 12:52 PM »
Cutting power was real good with the ION.  I didn't use them side by side the same day, but I didn't get the impression one was getting thru the same amount of ice noticeably faster than the other.  Batteries run $150 and you should get 6-800 full charge cycles out of a battery.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Oct 13, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Well you guys aren't making it easy for me. I guess it's a question of weather I care about not being able to cut more than 40 holes in an outing. I honestly don't think I've cut more than 30 in a day. Leaning towards the Ion, just really would like a super light auger. Obviously wouldn't go wrong with a Jiffy Pro 4 though... why is this so hard?
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Oct 13, 2014, 08:23 PM »
Well you guys aren't making it easy for me. I guess it's a question of weather I care about not being able to cut more than 40 holes in an outing. I honestly don't think I've cut more than 30 in a day. Leaning towards the Ion, just really would like a super light auger. Obviously wouldn't go wrong with a Jiffy Pro 4 though... why is this so hard?

With all due respect to the Propane augers and the ION and Strikemaster electric augers they are both great but they represent a huge investment for something that can only be used for a single purpose for a few months a year.  If you decide to go with the Clam drill Plate and a auger blade like the Lazer you'll be able to use your power source the (the drill) for many other things when it isn't ice fishing season.  Having a high quality electric drill around the shop in the spring, summer and fall is a nice ancillary benefit of going the Clam conversion route.  Food for thought...
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Keptafew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Oct 13, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Im with you Doc..... I have been following this thread. Last year I had the opportunity to tryout the Ion and was quite impressed with it but didnt enjoy the 8 inch hole as much as the 10 inch I was accustomed too. This year Ion has come out with a 10 inch auger so with that being the only drawback I have decided to go Ion and pick up the 10 inch auger using the 8 inch as a spare. Love the powerful cut coming from such a lightweight machine
A man should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing

Offline ff318

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Oct 13, 2014, 09:38 PM »
I have a pro 4 ive seen the Ion run but haven't run it myself. I love that a lot of places sells 1# propane bottles. I know I keep four or five on hand when I go fishing for my grill and auger. from what I have seen the Ion is a great auger. but it has its limitations.... if you go on a trip were you are unable to charge the battery's you can be SOL real quick.

simply the Ion is lighter but the pro 4 the option of a 10" hole

both cut ice. pick the color ya like
flag em and tag em

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Oct 14, 2014, 09:08 AM »
I guess it's a question of weather I care about not being able to cut more than 40 holes in an outing. I honestly don't think I've cut more than 30 in a day.

I fish Lake Champlain all the time and you are allowed 15 lines per person, so 40 holes in an outing is within the norm with a buddy or two. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Oct 14, 2014, 01:00 PM »
b8C-w&v=GIw9HhBqRUw#t=170
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Oct 14, 2014, 02:26 PM »
I fish Lake Champlain all the time and you are allowed 15 lines per person, so 40 holes in an outing is within the norm with a buddy or two. 

Well, see, there you go. I was hoping to get up to Champlain this year at some point... inevitably a 2 day event... what if I forgot my charger? And yes, I drill for at least one other person... these are the things that make me leary of buying an electric auger.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Oct 14, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Decisions, decisions...

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Oct 15, 2014, 07:48 PM »

Well, see, there you go. I was hoping to get up to Champlain this year at some point... inevitably a 2 day event... what if I forgot my charger? And yes, I drill for at least one other person... these are the things that make me leary of buying an electric auger.

Good think to consider.  With propane you can go to a local store and grab a one pound propane cylinder or two.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Oct 21, 2014, 07:25 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've decided to keep my 30 powerhead and buy an 8" drill for it. Won't be much lighter but I guess I could use the exercise anyway.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Oct 21, 2014, 11:53 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've decided to keep my 30 powerhead and buy an 8" drill for it. Won't be much lighter but I guess I could use the exercise anyway.
That is the way I look at it. I'm just 61 now and bought logs I have to cut and split. This will get me in shape for ice season.
<===Lefty===

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Oct 21, 2014, 03:30 PM »
That is the way I look at it. I'm just 61 now and bought logs I have to cut and split. This will get me in shape for ice season.
good on you brother ;D, keep the bones from freezing up.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Oct 21, 2014, 03:41 PM »
I don't blame you, those tecumseh model 30's are hard to kill. Even if you do get a lighter, newer auger, I would hold on to the model 30 for a spare. Couple pics of the 30 I picked for $100 this summer and recently refurbed.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Oct 21, 2014, 04:00 PM »
. If I lean it over 10 or 15 degrees off perfectly upright it will stall for some reason.

just can't get this motor to have that 2 stroke scream like a big chainsaw motor no matter what I do!

Yea both my 30's do that as well, when tilted with the fuel tank up and the spark plug down.

The other thing I noticed when doing the refurb is that the 30's have an air vane governor. When the fly wheel turns fast enough, air from it forces the governor/throttle to close slightly so that RPM's don't get too high and ruin the engine or crank. You could replace the spring from the throttle to the carb with a stiffer spring but I wouldn't recommend it.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Oct 22, 2014, 10:22 AM »
I don't blame you, those tecumseh model 30's are hard to kill. Even if you do get a lighter, newer auger, I would hold on to the model 30 for a spare. Couple pics of the 30 I picked for $100 this summer and recently refurbed.

You got a good deal there, good luck with it.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Oct 22, 2014, 11:21 PM »
That is one nice old model 30 you got..... They have been (and still are) a warhorse on the ice... Makes me wonder how many millions of holes have been drilled with a Jiffy model 30???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.