The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Mora ice auger  (Read 6221 times)

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Mora ice auger
« on: Jan 11, 2014, 11:57 AM »
What is the difference between mora ice auger and the mora lazer ice auger other then price.  Thanks for any info.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Mora ice auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2014, 11:59 AM »
What is the difference between mora ice auger and the mora lazer ice auger other then price.  Thanks for any info.

lazers  go  threw  th  ice  much  faster  and  less  effort 

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Do not get a mora. U will spend more on blades the first yr than u spent on the auger

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:28 PM »
Do not get a mora. U will spend more on blades the first yr than u spent on the auger

This statement is bullcrap..i have a 5" mora and been using it for about 3 seasons now and i probly drill 100 holes or more a season and ive changed the blades twice...just put new blades on to start this season this is season 4...u can send away to have old blades sharpened there is info on that here on this site about it and it will save a few bucks...when u buy blades make sure they are from sweden not china...i have never used a lazer or any of the other kinds...when the ice gets about 10" i start using the power auger unless im fishing an area i know i wont be drilling all day...dont store your auger wet the blades will rust dont plunge the holes and keep the cover on it so not to ding the blades and they last a season or more

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:44 PM »
i have both---they are both great--strikemaster rules

Offline IceMän

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2014, 12:47 PM »
I think it depends on where ur mora was made, some r made in Switzerland, which are the good ones. (The blades) some are not.
If you can, i would say buy a Finbore. All made in Switzerland.

This is just what i have been told, so no need to attack me if you feel i am wrong ;D

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:34 PM »
I have used both the plain Mora and Lazar over the years.  In my experience the stainless steel blades on the Mora get dull quick, while the Lazar seem to stay sharper longer. The Lazar seem to cut easier, faster and you can open up old holes easier with the Lazar.  I would never buy another plain Mora Auger and always pay the extra for the Lazar. I have used the same blades on the Lazar for 3 years, although at the end of 3 years it does cut a bit harder.  I cut in excess of 200 holes in a season with my 7" Lazar. I would give the Lazar 5 stars out of 5.

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:54 PM »
This statement is bullcrap..i have a 5" mora and been using it for about 3 seasons now and i probly drill 100 holes or more a season and ive changed the blades twice...just put new blades on to start this season this is season 4...u can send away to have old blades sharpened there is info on that here on this site about it and it will save a few bucks...when u buy blades make sure they are from sweden not china...i have never used a lazer or any of the other kinds...when the ice gets about 10" i start using the power auger unless im fishing an area i know i wont be drilling all day...dont store your auger wet the blades will rust dont plunge the holes and keep the cover on it so not to ding the blades and they last a season or more
Just speaking from my experience. U get what u pay for. Had a mora 10 yrs ago and many trips were ruined by dull blades. Get a lazer and u will not regret it.

Offline ChucknMel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:30 PM »
spend the money and get a Nils you wont be disappointed

Offline pughole

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I love it when your hands are all fish slime
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:33 PM »
The diffrence is the shap of the blades. Lazers are much wider then the other.They cut way faster.I love my lazer. Like the other fella said..You get what you pay for ;D

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:36 PM »
I've had a Mora for 18 years now, yes it looks like crap, but cuts fine. I replace the blades every 2-3 years and I literally live on the water, can't even imagine how many holes I cut a year. Do yourself a favor and do not buy the Chinese blades, you will just be aggravated. Mine is only a 5", so maybe that makes a difference. I have thought about buying a new auger because mine has as much rust as it does paint, but just never get around to it. I have heard the Finbore is a nice auger.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:44 PM »

I blasted threw a foot of ice today with my old blue mora, yeah its not quite as sharp as my lazer or nils, but wanted a larger hole, swedish blades, not the ones that come with it..   Arms are getting bigger now baby and no noise..
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:51 PM »

I blasted threw a foot of ice today with my old blue mora, yeah its not quite as sharp as my lazer or nils, but wanted a larger hole, swedish blades, not the ones that come with it..   Arms are getting bigger now baby and no noise..

1 foot of ice = BRAAAAAAAAP  ;D

Offline Corsairplane

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2014, 04:15 PM »
Out drilled a power auger ( I have no idea what kind or size) yesterday through eight inches of ice. I was using an eight inch fin bore.

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2014, 04:23 PM »
both the mora and lazer are great augers if they have swedish made blades on them.

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2014, 04:25 PM »
As long as you have the right blades the Mora works great. I'm get'n older(ish) and I use my 8 inch quite a bit. I have to be getting close to 100 holes on this set of blades already.

Offline blnk1228

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:39 PM »
I just picked up a used mora auger, where is the best place to get blades from?

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:59 PM »
fish 307

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:01 PM »
Order mine from Fish USA last year.

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:08 PM »
I've had a 5" Mora auger for 3 years and lots of times I could not get the blades to catch the ice and would just spin around in circles. Replaced the blades every season figuring it would help. After watching other guys cut 3 holes or more to my 1 I figured it may be worth the investment.  I got a 6" Lazer for $80 and it cuts through the ice like nothing.  I've heard other Mora users have the same problem.  The difference is the straight blades compared to the Lazer's concave blades.  If you are having issues, invest the money and you will be glad you did.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:35 PM »
Before I bought an 8" Nils I had (still have) a 6" Mora. Never any problems drilling holes. I actually found a brand new one at a garage sale for $10. Couldn't pass it up. Still have the 2 and won't part with them. You never know when an  emergency might occur............
      Kim
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Totally hooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:18 PM »
I also have a 4 inch lazer and a 7 inch mora. The lazer dose seem to cut faster but the 7 inch is 20 plus years old and I never had a problem with it 4 sets of blades in over 20 years doesn't seem bad. I have never changed the blades on the lazer.

Offline NYJigger72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:14 PM »
Just bought new blades Wednesday cut probably 150 7" holes cut like hot knife thru butter. Blades are from Sweden  my 2 cents.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12, 2014, 12:13 AM »
I have a 6" mora that I thought was good until I bought a 7" lazer hand auger that cuts like butter and haven't changed the blades yet at 4 years old. I recommend that over the mora by a mile. I even have a 5" auger for days of running and gunning. Just make sure the replacement blades you buy for either style augers say "made in Sweden', not CHINA!
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline heavyduty69er

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2014, 03:44 AM »
I have had a 6 in strike master for 3 years never a problem works great every time never had to buy blades

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2014, 04:13 AM »
I have both the Mora and Lazer in 6", much prefer the Lazer. It's so much more aggressive, but the Mora works well as long as it has good blades! One of the biggest problems I've seen with the Moras is when they're used to reopen old holes. It takes the edge off the blades real fast, not a good practice. The Lazer on the other hand no problem. Swedish blades for both...JMO.  :icefish:

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2014, 04:51 AM »
I'll throw another vote up for the Finbore.
I'll never use another auger again. I doubt I'll cut with a power auger again.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2014, 06:46 AM »
One thing no matter what auger it's never a great idea to reopen an old hole.  For some reason this will destroy blades really fast, not saying it can't be done but I would just recommend putting a new hole right next to it before I would drill out an old hole.  And I vote nils all day, for like $115 you can have the best 6" auger out there.  I've tried or owned the rest and NOTHING compairs. 

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2014, 11:44 AM »
My mora is about 15 yrs old change blades every 2-3 seasons never a problem.Use to get blades resharpened but was disappointed so I just get new ones.I also use a rigid 18v drill with mine.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2014, 11:54 AM »
I am putting my 2 cents in on this. Both are nice, the lazer will handle a little more abuse. The best advice I will have to give is: 1 don't let anyone but yourself drill with it. 2 keep the cover on it when not in use. 3 never bang it on the ice. The mora will loose its angle if someone hits it on the ice. Then it will walk all over the place. My opinion if you look at the mora, the one side has no brace like the lazer does.
Gator Nation

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.