The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 10" LazerMag issue  (Read 933 times)

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
10" LazerMag issue
« on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:14 PM »
Hello board,

I have a LazerMag with both 8" and 10" bits. The 8" cuts VERY fast and blades last for quite a while. But my 10" does not cut worth crap. With new blades I have to press down quite a bit and after 50 holes wouldnt cut at all. Has anyone else had this issue? My friend had to send his in to strikemaster for a pitch adjustment and it still doesnt cut that great.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 10" LazerMag issue
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:49 PM »
The new blades chinesse blades or the Swedish blades?

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2012, 08:20 AM »
Its gotta be the blades.  I own both a 10" and 8" Strikemaster.  On the 10" I have a chipper auger AND a Lazer auger.   Whenever the Lazer quits cutting its the blades.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2012, 01:18 PM »
You might have just hit dirty ice, I have the mora(swedish) flighting on my Husqvarna and you need to keep the blades in 100% condition for it to cut properly. I have a blades that I just sent out for sharpening, looked almost perfect but because of a few tiny flaws they wouldnt cut worth a crap. They would have last all season no problem had I not pilled my auger into a sediment pile fishing too close to a river mouth.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2012, 11:13 PM »
Hello board,

I have a LazerMag with both 8" and 10" bits. The 8" cuts VERY fast and blades last for quite a while. But my 10" does not cut worth crap. With new blades I have to press down quite a bit and after 50 holes wouldnt cut at all. Has anyone else had this issue? My friend had to send his in to strikemaster for a pitch adjustment and it still doesnt cut that great.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
did you get the 10" bit new? If so did it cut fast than?  My 10" laser pro cuts super fast, them blades are dangerously sharp...I got a scar to prove it!
]

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2012, 09:13 AM »
Definitely sounds like blades. Does the bit spin on the ice and then grab for a bit then spin on the ice again? I had that happen this past season and got new blades and it was like a whole new world.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2012, 09:29 AM »
I'd agree, either dull blades, or your angle of attack is slighty off. One tip, you should never have to "push down" on your auger; let the blades do the work. If they are razor sharp with a straight edge, I'd look at the alignment issue. Just my .02
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2012, 06:13 AM »
Sweedish blades and this was an issue right out of the box. Thought it was the blades too but another new set didnt fix the issue.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2012, 11:34 AM »
Sweedish blades and this was an issue right out of the box. Thought it was the blades too but another new set didnt fix the issue.
Sounds like the pitch is off....Ild contact strikemaster and see about having them fix it.  I know in a shaver only a degree or two here or there makes all the difference.  I suppose if you were bored you could get on the ice and start playing with different shims to try to correct yourself...I'm betting it will be a pain.  If you know somebody that has same bit that cuts properly maybe you could pull some measurements and degree settings of it to help with the process.
]

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2012, 01:32 PM »
good idea. Ill tinker with angle and see whats up
Tu ne cede malis

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.