The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ice Auger Blade Sharpening  (Read 2547 times)

Offline 93Tracker

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Auger Blade Sharpening
« on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:07 PM »
I tried to sharpen a set of old blades for a hand auger as shown on the back of the packaging. It seems one blade is always sharper than the other. Has Anyone ever sent blades to a sharpening service with good results? On the Net theres a guy named Bud Hull from Orleans MI.  Anyone ever try him out?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Ice Auger Blade Sharpening
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2010, 06:25 AM »
Why does one blade sharpening thread get lots of posts...while a nother gets no response at all... ???

One blade will always be sharper than the other...just feels that way.  Sometimes even one blade will bite more on the ice than the other...sometimes it's just how it sits on the auger and a little tweaking of the screws can be a lot of difference.

In the case for hand augers...it's because your arm can torque more at a certain pull and at a certain push.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:01 AM »
Bud Hull did mine, an they were fine. Half price of new ones.

Offline 93Tracker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Why does one blade sharpening thread get lots of posts...while a nother gets no response at all... ???

One blade will always be sharper than the other...just feels that way.  Sometimes even one blade will bite more on the ice than the other...sometimes it's just how it sits on the auger and a little tweaking of the screws can be a lot of difference.

In the case for hand augers...it's because your arm can torque more at a certain pull and at a certain push.
Thanks for the come back, I did read farther and did see other response, I might send a spare set just to compare

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:00 PM »
I tried to sharpen a set of old blades for a hand auger as shown on the back of the packaging. It seems one blade is always sharper than the other. Has Anyone ever sent blades to a sharpening service with good results? On the Net theres a guy named Bud Hull from Orleans MI.  Anyone ever try him out?

If you have two sets then just sharpen both and pick out the two sharpest and you will have 1 good set....lol.   There is a guy by me who can do a good job for cheap.... I usually buy new.  You could always exchange them at 307
;

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.