The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: auger problerms  (Read 1503 times)

Flathead

auger problerms
« on: Feb 20, 2004, 12:37 AM »
I have a 7 inch lazer auger the blades got dull i bought a shapener for it it seems worse after i "sharpend" it I am sure i did it right. Then I put new blades on and it didnt seem much better. THe ice is starting to rot freeze/thaw thing could that have something  to do with it?
 Any help would be much appericated Thanks Adam

Offline DigJiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: auger problerms
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2004, 05:55 AM »
I am thinking the the condition of the ice has something to do with it. I bought new blades and they worked great. Lately with the snow/ice the way it is I have been struggling.  ???

1_Pappy

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2004, 03:01 AM »

Loosen your blades and stick a shim behind them/it.  Take some shims of different thickness w/you fishing.  You may need to shim either the front or rear of blade.  (don't forget to tighten them...he he)

Offline crapyking

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I like crappies!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2004, 09:31 AM »
change blades - sharpening does not work. been there , same results. replace-d :)o not try to sharpen.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2004, 10:43 AM »
Hi Gang!
  You need to strap your blades for a quick touch up!
The blades only come so sharp and that isnt really sharp enough.  I always strap my blades with a leather belt the night before I go out fishing.  If you do this your blades will last a season. 
    Here is how to do it if you dont know how.  On the bottom side of the cutting blade run a leather belt away from the sharp edge.  The you can check the sharpness by taking a piece of paper and just glide it across the edge.  if the paper gets cut smoothly then your right on.  Keep strapping until they are razor sharp. You should have them sharp enough to shave with.  Espically the lazer type blades they need to be excessively sharp to work.  Make sure when you feel the edge you dont have a lip on the bottom side . That is called edge roll over and it has to be taken out with a belt only!  One last thing dont touch the sharpened edge with your finger or youll have many many stitches to deal with while fishing.
Da-Roc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.