Author Topic: Your favorite UL jigging rod?  (Read 3859 times)

Offline motorfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rock The Ice !
Re: Your favorite UL jigging rod?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2009, 10:17 AM »
My absolute favorite for shallow water they don't make anymore and that would be the Quantum Micro.
Sweet blank, very sensitive, plenty of backbone, cost... $6.95 + $3.25 for ab HT micro fly reel.
Who says you can't have champagne taste on a beer budget ! ;)2

Jus doan stan thar.... DO SUMPIN' !!!

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2009, 11:42 AM »
i have tried alot of rods but the new brian bro quick tip is way better than anything on the market for light jigging :)

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2009, 04:09 PM »
St. Croix Legend rod.

Offline buckhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2009, 06:08 PM »
Thorne brothers

Offline UW97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2009, 12:47 PM »
I just got a Dave Genz, genz stix.   I have not used it yet but it seems a little stiff.  hopefully it is a good rod

+1 for Genz. I have the 2007 stuff, and really like it. I ordered two 2008 combo's this year, and like them as well. I've considered St. Croix many a times, but always end up getting Genz.

From FL, but fish Eau Claire chain of lakes near Hayward, WI, twice a year (10-day trips).

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2009, 06:14 PM »
+1 for Genz. I have the 2007 stuff, and really like it. I ordered two 2008 combo's this year, and like them as well. I've considered St. Croix many a times, but always end up getting Genz.

From FL, but fish Eau Claire chain of lakes near Hayward, WI, twice a year (10-day trips).

Are you originally from Florida or did you move their from the north ?

Bob

Offline UW97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2009, 07:58 PM »
Are you originally from Florida or did you move their from the north ?

Bob

I live in Florida with my parents (just turned 21, partially disabled), but both my parents are from Wisconsin. My Dad and I are up there (Duluth/Superior) at least twice a year. Once for trophy pike/northern and at least once for ice fishing. But recently, we've been going up around first ice, and near the end of the season. We'll be up there the 17th of Feb.

All trophy fishing we do is guided except ice fishing. Most of our family is up there, so we have no problems finding fish, or equipment, however we are planning on buying a "cabin" to do hunting and fishing, since we spend so much time up there. Just recently started buying ice fishing equipment. And since I am registered on other forums (technology, gadgets, home theater, gaming, etc.), I'd figure I'd see what the ice fishing community had to offer.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 10, 2009, 08:47 PM »
panfish jedi master
that is my new title!!!
my favorite and first ice rod is the silver eagle 24" UL rod, it has small guides, but i don't mind that much, only problem is i haven't seen once since i got it for christmas, it's sensitive enough to fell tiny bites without a spring bobber, but has enough backbone to handle a 3+ lb trout.

Offline beagledogxxx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:46 AM »
St croix legend with that crazy little spring bobber.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:54 AM »
my 19 dollar gander mountian series 24 inch rods are alrite.got some backbone for crappiesi also have some 30 inch panfish poppers by frabill but hard to get a good hookset cuz its so sensitive.

Offline UW97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2009, 04:43 PM »
Just picked up a St. Croix Premier 24" UL and a Pflueger 4520GX reel.

I've been just using whatever reel came with the rod we purchased (mostly Genz). But I went against the grain, so to speak, and got myself another combo to try in a few weeks. I was undecided between a Tica or Pflueger reel, since most recommend either or, I picked out the Pflueger.

Wish me luck!  ;D

Offline quivr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 25" PIKE 2 # line
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2009, 06:35 PM »
St. Croix with the new Floro-Ice 3# ,the line is new this year hard to find Great Line

Offline basser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:33 PM »
The Frabill Panfish Popper has been a good one for me.

Offline -ADKIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get Some....
« Reply #43 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:56 PM »
HANDS DOWN A JASON MITCHELL!!!! I have tried many many rods out there and now only buy Jason Mitchell rods. They are very well made, his different models help you target exactly the fish you are after with the perfect performance

http://jasonmitchellrods.com/ice.php

give one a try. You wont regret it!
--------------------
Rob K out!

15lb. mono leader for me!

"Its all in how you wiggle your worm!"

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:43 AM »
im glad i started this post... i guess ill be using my bass pro( :sick:) gift card for an ice blue rod. im not a fan of rods with spring bobbers.

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:57 AM »
I fish almost exclusively for perch in the winter and have always used something in the 15-20 dollar range that seemed decent. the only problem is that they actually suck! they're always cheaply made and the stiffess would be nice if it was't for the fact that there is so much glue around the eyes. All that glue ruins the tip and makes the rod bend in the middle. So for all you panfish jedi masters out there, which rod do you think is the best of the best?!

I did not take the time to read through all posts, but you HAVE to go with the St. Croix UL 24" spring bobber rods.  They are the best i have ever used and will not fish with anything else.  I always fish in a shack so it is warm and ice up is not an issue with the spring bobber.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:54 PM »
outside 36 inch  bream rod in shanty 30 inch bream or 30in panfish for spoons i tie all my own rods

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:43 PM »
I just ordered myself a 24" UL ice blue for fishing inside the shanty. I hope their as good as you guys say they are.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline needice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:24 PM »
I just ordered myself a 24" UL ice blue for fishing inside the shanty. I hope their as good as you guys say they are.
You won't be.I have been using them for years with awesome results.Just bought a mitchell while on a fishing trip for walleye up north.I still have not even used it and caught a sweet 21 inch walleye on my 24 ice blue.The sensitivity is hard to resist exspecially with no spring bobber. :tipup:

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:29 PM »
If I like it alot I'll order a 30" one for fishing outside. At $8 each its a bargin.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.