Author Topic: WHAT ARE THE ODDS  (Read 1760 times)

Offline fishermen50

• IceShanty Rookie
WHAT ARE THE ODDS
« on: Feb 25, 2006, 12:52 PM »
YESTERDAY WHILE ICE FISHING ON MUSKEGO LAKE IN WISCONSIN.  I WAS CHECKING MY TIPUPS AND WHEN PICKING UP THE FIRST ONE WHILE PULLING IT OUT OF THE WATER AN 18 INCH NORTHERN CAME THRU THE HOLE AND GRABBED MY MINNOW IN MID AIR ABOUT 2 INCHES ABOVE THE HOLE.  THIS WAS WITNESSED BY TWO OTHER GUYS OUT ON THE ICE.   HAS THIS OR ANY WIERD THINGS HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE ON THE ICE??? RICH

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
Re: WHAT ARE THE ODDS
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2006, 12:58 PM »
had it happen on open water next to boat.not hard water though. must of got the ole' ticker pumping.

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2006, 01:30 PM »
In your case the odds were good ;D
I've never had it happen :(
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline abbeys shanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2006, 01:39 PM »
That must have been a pretty cool thing to witness.   Never seen that happen b4.
Whats cooler than cool??  ICE COLD!!!

MikeThePike

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2006, 05:36 PM »
I'm amazed that a pike chased the bait out of the hole. Me and my buddy had a discussion about just that earlier this season saying how thats something you'd never see. The fish was really determined to get that bait.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2006, 07:38 PM »
sounds pretty cool ;)

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2006, 07:56 PM »
That happened to me about 3 or 4 years ago.  I was standing in my rowboat, casting, and retrieving slowly.  Just as I got my hook up to the boat and pulled it out of the water, a pike that was following it, darted out of the water and grabbed it.  I must of had the whole jig at least 2, maybe 3 inches out of the water.  Most exciting thing Iv'e ever seen!!!

fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2006, 08:45 PM »
something similar

I was kayak fishing, and while paddeling along some weeds and such, my paddle spooked a pikerel, scared him so much, he shot off, right off my paddle into the boat, that little turd gnawed my fingers pretty good trying to get him out!!

it was insane, my dad saw from a few feet away and said it looked like my paddle took a prejectile dump into my boat!  :D

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2006, 08:46 PM »
I've had pike do that in the boat a few times, once in a canoe to a friend who doesn't fish much. We were lucky to stay dry it scared him pretty good.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2006, 09:17 PM »
I had a largemouth do something similar one day.  I had one rod sitting on the gunnel of the boat and the lure was dipping in and out od the water from the waves.  As I was reeling in my other rod the bass came up and hit the lure.  It almost pulled my rod in the water.

Offline menekaunee hawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2006, 10:08 AM »
when I was a young kid around ten years old,I would go to the train bridge as soon as the ice was out.
I had a casting rod with braided cord for line. I would cast out on the north side and walk across sort of like trolling I guess.when I get to the end I would reel the line in.well when I did it I believe the daredevil was about a foot out of the water, and this big pike came up and nailed the daredevil and when he went down into the water my rod snapped. he hooked himself good so I got him. I tied him on my handle bars and pushed my bike home. of course being ten, I had to show him off to all my buddies,being warm weather I guess you know the rest.But I was one heck of a proud kid. only regrets never a pic. taken But the memory is still fresh in my mind  even though I am 63 years young. ;)

" Better times a coming!"

HAWK

When I am dead and in my grave, no more women or whiskey will I crave. But on my tombstone be sure is written, I had my share and I'm not sh!tten!

Offline menekaunee hawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2006, 10:13 AM »
A post script to my pike story, When I had him tied on my handle bars with his nose tight to the bars his tail was dragging on the ground.

Hawk
When I am dead and in my grave, no more women or whiskey will I crave. But on my tombstone be sure is written, I had my share and I'm not sh!tten!

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2006, 11:22 AM »
you said "warm weather".  How warm exactly?  I can't imagine that wouldv'e smelled very good, espically if it was sunny and over 30C(86F).
fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

Offline menekaunee hawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2006, 11:50 AM »
It was just ice out so it wasn't that warm, but it did get kind of dried out.Don't think you could have got the scales off, and we did scale then in them days, not skin like we do now.

" BETTER DAYS ARE A COMING"

HAWK

Offline Lobo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hang in There !
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2006, 12:08 PM »
That would be something to see a pike come right up through the hole like that. Probably would have scared the crap out of me. :o

One time in the 70's on Lincoln Lk. at Ludington Mi.I was fishing a Hula Popper over thick weeds in about 2FOW for bass when a Pike well over 30 inch's came Straight up and carried it over a foot !/2 in the air. He had to be standing on his tail on the bottom to do it ! I almost lost him I was so surprised. :woot:

Ross in Greenville, Mi.

God made the world 3/4 water and 1/4 land. So it's plain that he meant for us to fish 3/4 of the time and work 1/4 !

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2006, 04:42 PM »
Yeah, thats pretty odd, but something else that happened to me thursday I think it was, I through a perch at a seagull on huddle bay, and it went in a hole that I never knew was there..my buddy died laughing. And the gull was like **censored** lol where'd it go...it was like 30 feet away too, it was odd..hes like try doing that agian haha..
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2006, 08:35 PM »
we used to cut holes in our rearing ponds to feed the yearling rainbows and you could get them worked up so they came up outa the hole for the feed.  cutting ten holes in the ice every other day at work kinda reduced the ice fishing experience on the weekends though :D

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2006, 08:37 PM »
whats a rearing pond ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.