Author Topic: Your best day on the ice ever?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Jrod0582

• Team IceShanty Regular
Your best day on the ice ever?
« on: Dec 16, 2012, 05:19 PM »
Hello all! As we enter further into the ice season, I thought it'd be fun to have a thread where we all can share the single best day you've had on the ice. Maybe it as at a shanty get together! For me my best day of fishing was in late march a few years back. All the wheel houses were off the ice so the "good spots" were open. My 2 best friends and I were the only ones on the lake as we went mid-week, and we absolutely pounded the crappies. We all brought home limits. The smallest being 12" and our big was 14.75". No state records but awesome action all day long with my best buds! What was your most memorable day?

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Your best day on the ice ever?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2012, 05:24 PM »
One of my best had to be last year when my son landed his first pike 28" and first Walleye 16" through the ice within thirty minutes. The look on his face was priceless.

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2012, 05:26 PM »
The best day was on the last day on ice during my first season ice fishing. I went with my dad and one of my good friends. For the first hour of fishing we caught absolutely nothing besides 5 or so dinky perch. Then all of a sudden I was reeling in crappie after crappie. My father and my friend could not hook one...At the end i caught 84 crappie on a vertical chartreuse glow jig and a glow green plastic tail, my dad caught 15 and my friend 1
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2012, 05:32 PM »
Best day is probably when I went out and made a mile trek through the one lake and through the woods it was worth it when we caught 14"-15" crappies.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2012, 05:32 PM »
My best day was a couple years ago when I sat and got my 25 crappie in an hour or so with 15-20 people within 60 yards of me not catching a fish... including the fella next to me in the shanty. I don't keep them under 10".

Everyone was using waxworms under bobbers, I was using a black ratso and really fishing them hard under the marcum. Jigging hard by the bottom until I saw a line, then twitching it up as I rose it 1-2 feet then whey they came at it I'd stop it and they would nail it. If I lowered the jig at all they would leave. They got smart with everyone bobber fishing and raising the jig 6" then drop.. raise 6" then drop, raise 6" then drop. They got smart and would leave any time I dropped the jig.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline MitchMeyers92

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO HAWKS!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2012, 05:34 PM »
40 crappies in a couple hours all 12-15 inches on public water in iowa while the 2 tents next to me didnt catch a thing

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Last year when my 3 y/o daughter caught her first fish through the ice!  A nice white perch she caught jigging and pulled in herself!  She had fried fish for lunch the next day at daycare and told all the kids, she was the only one who could catch her own lunch!!

Offline monoped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Hard to pick one but would have to be my daughters first through the ice too. (A bluegill). She had her pic. in a sporting paper and thought it was neat.
Hole in ice attracts loose and dropped objects.
Value adds speed.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2012, 05:56 PM »
Everytime I get to fish with my wife is my best day ever.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline stuck on the ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2012, 06:01 PM »
     My best day was acouple years ago I bought my 1st shanty. I was the only one one the ice with a shanty and before long I was surounded by a bunch of ppl. So I packed upped my gear and moved to the other end of the lake. After a 1/2 hour walk and not one  :tipup: I was getting upset and ready to go home. Then a freak freezing rain storm came and scared every one away. The storm lasted 20 min. so I went back to my 1st spot that I got over ran earlier. And to my amazement I saw well over 100 holes pre drilled for me. If I had no bite for a min I moved to another hole. Great day on the ice.  ;D

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2012, 06:03 PM »
it will be this year my lil guy is going to start going we cant wait!!!!!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2012, 06:37 PM »
Good thread, and a day of crappie fishing is the most common reply. It's hard to beat the sense of fulfillment you get when you nail a bunch of big crappies, and the fish fries from this are the best too.

I will however rank March 15, 2009 as my best day. I iced 4 lake trout on tipups including my PB, and I was fishing with my close circle of guys. Late in the day it was tee-shirt weather and those March days are awesome.

The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:17 PM »
I would say my best day was 2 years ago on my home lake.  I was fishing with my 8 year old son.  I just finished drilling the holes and then put his line down the hole.  I did not even get a line down before he caught 3 bluegills about 9-10 inches.  Never will forget this day when the boy shows up the dad ;D

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:30 PM »
Everytime I get to fish with my wife is my best day ever.  ;D

I agree!!!
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:47 PM »
my best day was the day i convinced my father to go ice fishing with me. he was convinced that all ice fishermen were crazy. told him that as soon as he felt cold, we'd pack up and go home. We got to the lake. i drilled a few holes and his job was to clean them out. i set up the 1st trap. he was claning out a hole and i told him to get the 1st flag. he was pulling in the fish when the 2nd flag went up. This went on until i finished drilling the 10th hole. after 5 flags, he was pooped out. had to take a break. admitted that he could  not believe how many fish we catch through the ice. Actually asked me to let hm know when i will be going next.  This was 2 years ago. this march, he will be 87.

Offline Ice Sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I would have waited.......
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2012, 08:01 PM »
ALL OF THEM!!!!

Bullelk34

« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2012, 10:22 PM »
I've had a lot of great days, but one does stick out as exceptional. We were fishing a large lake that gets very little pressure, there was 8 of us. Usually there was only 4 of us but that day there were 8 and it was more of a social gathering than usual. In this lake, fish tend to run in age classes. That year the northerns were averaging 12 lbs, and the walleyes 4 lbs. We caught over 100 walleye and sauger, a pile of burbot, and a few dozen northerns. We had a few sauger over 5 lbs too. One of the guys likes to set his tipups away from the group, and he wasn't catching as much. He had me bring the auger over to poke a few more holes for him, and while moving a tipup he noticed the minnow was dead. He was complaining about the dead minnow and how a walleye "never" takes a dead minnow...... He set it down the hole and while going for the bucket to get a fresh minnow he got a flag on it.. Turned out to be a 12.9 lb walleye.

Offline landry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2012, 10:52 PM »
My 10 yr old daughter and I crushed the lake simcoe perch one day last year. We were sight fishing them and catching them at will for three or four hours. We let a lot go and got so many over 12" it was ridiculous. We were high fiving and laughing. Was maybe my best moment with my daughter period! I smile just writing this.
Landry

Offline northern fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dad and his littlest buddy
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2012, 12:10 AM »
My best ice fishing day's would not include any of my PB's.About ,lets just say a lot of years ago,when I left Nova Scotia and moved to Ontario I did not know crap about ice fishing but I started laying brick with this guy named Alphie and he got me ice fishing with his friend Dirk.Sparrow lake was where we would go and the last season that I lived down south my childern were still young but they where coming whith me for the first time.It was getting to be last ice and all the guys were fishing close to open water.I kept our set up about 50 to 60 yards back about an hour before sunset all hell broke loss.My kids were running around grabing tip-ups and dragging them up through the ice,walleye were everwere.As fast as I could get fish unhooked and get lines back down the flags would go up again.The kids had a ball.At the end of the hour(the evening)children 10 pissed off adults 0.
Move ahead couple years and now I live in north Ontario(Gods gift to a outdoorsman) at this point I have another son and he loves to be outside with Dad.
Last year he was on the ice with me 80% of the time(I had to supply hot cholate,hot dogs,camp fires and a hill to slide down)He stuck it out with me till dark and we iced a lot of 18" to22" walleye.He just thinks this whole outdoor thing is great.
I guess those are my best days on the ice

There is nothing better than the smile on a childs face when they see the fish come up through the hole.

Offline Ernievdb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2012, 12:28 AM »
I guess I can't really pinpoint what day was my absolute favorite...yesterday was pretty awesome though! I finally had a chance to take my dad ice fishing (he missed a couple seasons while I was away at college). I pulled the shack out and a buddy drilled 4 holes for us and we didn't move all day and we caught fish all day! Ended up with 20 beautiful perch (biggest was 13 inches), a couple small walleyes and 3 small pike...couldn't have asked for a better day!
A day spent fishing with no fish is still better than any day at work!

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2012, 12:44 AM »
Love reading all the posts about fishing with kids, I've got a boy just over 2 years who I'm hoping will share my enjoyment of the outdoors. Had him out on the ice with me for about an hour last weekend, he loved watching the holes get drilled, wanted to help with scooping (that cost me a scoop down the hole) and even jigged a rod for a few minutes. Hope it's just the start.

As for my best day, I made a trip last year to a lake that my family had a cabin on growing up 25 years ago, but hadn't really fished in a good number of years. Despite temps hovering just below freezing and zero wind, I was the only one out on the ice. Brought back a lot memories from when dad would take us fishing in the little aluminum and he'd be so busy taking weeds and fish off of hooks he'd hardly even get to wet a line. Also didn't hurt that the flags were going off steady all day, and the perch were hungry. Had a real tough time packing up the gear that evening for the long drive back home.

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2012, 09:21 AM »
not my best day fishin...but i think it was the 1st time me and my buddy went wally fishin...i had never caught a walleye,but had eatin them several times.i hadnt been ice fishin since i was a kid...the memories of sitting on a bucket freezing my ass off i was hesitant to go.he said hey...do you think i sit out there and freeze???so off we went.he proceeds to set this HUGE  command post up!him on one side...me on the other...anyways...he hooks into this fish...i was so pumped...he got it to the hole and said ...GRAB IT!...so i reach down and grab it like the guys on the fishin shows to be cool...well this was a 28 in northern...so i guess you know the rest of the story...had to use pliers to remove him from my thumb...we still laugh about it to this day! ;D
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline MNcrappiecontrol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2012, 09:32 AM »
43.5 northern in a day we where fishing in a small pong off the rum river in mn

Offline Crash1433

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2012, 09:54 AM »
Last year fishing smelt in saranac lake. One of my buddys had been there the day before with his brother and done ok(prob 100 smalt each) fishing about 20 feet aoart. I got there and could see where they were set up and drilled my first hole between where they had been the day before. I put my trandsucer in the hole and from 20 feet down to 48 feet(the bottom) was completely red. I thought maybe my gain was set too high or there was a piece of ice stuck to the bottom of the ducer. lowered gain from 8 to 6 and checked bottom of the ducer and still red all the way to the bottom. It then dawned on me that it was really 30 feet of fish and dropped my hook. the action was so fast it took me an hour and a half to get to where I had to stop and drill another hole for my second rod. It was noon before it slowed down at all. For the day i had 14 or 15 doubles and ended up with over 300 fish. It was a five gallon bucket full and just over 22 pounds of fish. It was a very long night of cleaning when I got home. 

Offline ak Laker hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2012, 10:34 AM »
mid april 2010 7 lakers between 30 inch and 37 inch and 5 arctic chars between 23 inch and 28 inch all caught in 3.5 hrs of fishn

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2012, 10:39 AM »
thats like asking which one of your children is your favorite.

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2012, 10:45 AM »
My first trip to Lake Simcoe for perch , we caught some real hogs,    cant wait to go back next month

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Every day on the ice is my best day, gets me away from work, and lets me spend a nice day with Friends and family, especially my daughters.

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2012, 01:18 PM »
ANY AND EVERYDAY ON THE ICE

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2012, 01:24 PM »
Lake Simcoe. 3 man limit of 10-12" perch in 4 hours.  We could have all had our limit of 13+", but we released all of the monster females.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.