New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096224 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Just checked my local lakes northern access ...seems fine ...its a beach and get sun all day. May try and get out tomorrow if that wind isn't to brutal.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey hardwater, I was on that northern beach last Sunday with a wheeler, a couple of large chunks broke off but they held our machines. I'm glad this cold and cloudy tightened it up. We are possibly heading there tomorrow night for the crappies, Sunday more in the middle to jig up some perch. A neighbor broke down and got a sonar (he calls me 'jigmeister'), he wants to learn it better. Hope you got out today, the wind is howling now here in Orange Co...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hey hardwater, I was on that northern beach last Sunday with a wheeler, a couple of large chunks broke off but they held our machines. I'm glad this cold and cloudy tightened it up. We are possibly heading there tomorrow night for the crappies, Sunday more in the middle to jig up some perch. A neighbor broke down and got a sonar (he calls me 'jigmeister'), he wants to learn it better. Hope you got out today, the wind is howling now here in Orange Co...

Not today ...going to hit it hard tomorrow..think near the hole...so "jigmeister" ??? Is that your new moniker ?PM me where/when your going tomorrow  I can meet you ..I think I will be solo as my buds are busy this weekend .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline flounderman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • member since Dec 2005
Hard and Blue, I've been fishing for pannies and crappies hard the last few weeks over there away from the bucket crowd. I was last out there Tues afternoon for a few hrs. Ice was only 5" where I've been fishing in 16fow. Hope it held up for this weekend. I'm trying early tomorrow. I'll be solo wearing a long blue hooded parka near the island. Stop by.

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Does anyone know if the lakes are safe in Harriman & can you use a gas auger on them ? Also is Bluelake in Sterling Forest safe to fish. I know you can only use a hand auger on there/ Thanks for any info. Walt

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tiiorati is open in the park and blue lake is open at Sterling.
They are the two lakes open as of today. Fished blue lake this evening for about an hour. One bite, no fish.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
blue lake was about 10" today as dave327 a few flags no fish and very windy this afternoon. 23° when we left

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Dave. Can you use gas augers on Tiorate ?

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
we have been using gas augers with no issues in  harriman park on any of the lakes other then blue lake in Sterling forest

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll hit tiorati Sunday morning and stay close to home. Walt.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hard and Blue, I've been fishing for pannies and crappies hard the last few weeks over there away from the bucket crowd. I was last out there Tues afternoon for a few hrs. Ice was only 5" where I've been fishing in 16fow. Hope it held up for this weekend. I'm trying early tomorrow. I'll be solo wearing a long blue hooded parka near the island. Stop by.

5 inches that's not good ...which island will you be near  by the dam or by the inlet/outlet by division pond ?

Offline morganycfish

• IceShanty Rookie
How's the Ice looking in southern Duchess and Putnam County? thinking of hitting Gleneida or Sylvan. Anyone have a report?

Offline BKsFrostyBalls

• IceShanty Rookie
West Branch had about 6-8 inches on Sunday. Fishing was slow but got my first ever Salmon from the reservoir!

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
any1 have any information on the highland lake derby. registration time and location?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Info posted on the Contest and Derby section of New York board

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
After spending a week in Key West and a week in Arizona it'll be nice to get back out on the hardwater. Hitting a local lake in O.C. tomorrow

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline fishon723

• IceShanty Rookie
Be careful out there guys. My two buddies went through on Greenwood yesterday. They got out and both are fine. Some of those heavily fished areas have some bad spots. Good luck and be safe.

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey anybody fishing the Morningside lake contest Saturday?? Looks like fun contest for the kids. I see a couple of walleye caught each year. Anybody know ice thickness and how shorelines are??? Thinking about bringing ATV. Thanks jeff

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
There was anywhere from 5”-7” of ice and lots of open water in spots. Got a mixed bag of fish

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
jghunter check this website ,scroll to bottom of page look for Hurleyville fire dept. ice fishing click on it will take you to info. on the contest. When I fished contest years back ATV's and snowmobiles were allowed lake gets crowed be careful driving and have registration up to date DEC officers likely to be present.

www.hurleyvilleny.com

Steve

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Steve. ATV is all registered. I'm used to driving in crowds just got back from northern challenge Tupper Lake. 1500 guys lol tip ups where like land mines!!!!! Jeff

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I was up at the northern Challenge as well.  That lake looked like a pin cushion!!   We only got a couple perch. 

We did better the day after on Saranac Lake with a few nice pike.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Had 18 tip ups at northern challenge not one flag all day. Got away from the crowds in back Bay. Every year fishing gets worse. Pike are very small also in that lake. Jeff

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Between the group of us, we had 70 tip ups out.

I’m not sure if I’ll do it again next year, it was really pretty disappointing.   
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone fishing Morningside contest and bring a sled or ATV, have everything in order, Ins, Reg, Helmets, solid tow bar if your towing the kids. Great contest for fun, but the DEC is out in a group! Goes for the King of the Ice, on White Lake, DEC likes to get ice fishermen in a school [lol]Grumpy ol' dude  :icefish:

Offline fishingfamily0509

• IceShanty Rookie
  • proud parents... jig em up girls
Myself my husband and our youngest daughter will be fishing morning side tomorrow anyone else going to be there?

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
I will be there with my son. Wife and daughter coming later in day. Jeff

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
so how'd everyone do? Heard of some nice fish being caught

Offline BGIII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bill Gallagher
Anybody have any ice reports for Putnam county?
It’s butt cold out here and I’m fresh out of beer

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fun warm day on Morningside!! 12"ice. Didn't win but me and my son got 6 pickerel 4 slab crappie up to 12" one yellow Perch and 2 big blue gills.  5ft of water. Fun time!!  No walleye caught by anyone. Jeff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.