New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096095 times)

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great day on the ice today. Kbaez and I hit the crappie and perch pretty well. It wias lots of fun but probably the last day in Harriman for a couple weeks. They probably will close the lakes after the expected  rain and warm spell.

Offline rt dak

• IceShanty Rookie
Great day to be on the ice. Got a real nice smallmouth and caught my largest perch ever. Let the the bass go but kept the perch. Anyone know of a good taxidermist in the Putnam county area? Thinking about mounting the perch just shy of 15 inches.

Nice! I also caught my biggest perch today, but still a couple inches shy of yours.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished my final trip of the NY season up in Sullivan County again with my buddy Kevin. It wasn't a fast and furious bite like our last trip, but rather a slow and steady pick of fish. Had to work for them today, drilled probably 100 holes with the Razr auger and hopped around all day. We ended the day with 15 giant perch in the 12 - 14" range and about a dozen small largemouth.

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Harriman will be done for the season
With the forecast
Back to the Adirondacks where it's safe

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Back to the Adirondacks where it's safe

Plenty of safe ice in Orange and Sullivan counties

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline perch assasin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig em' up
I lost a jigging rod at silver mine in the parks over the weekend I think it must of fell out my sled on the walk to the lake. If anyone has come across it please get in contact with me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys

Offline seadog8

• IceShanty Rookie
we were on White Pond yesterday.  11" of ice.

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hit Titicus with a couple buddies. Mixed bag of trout to 16 inches, yellows and pickerel. All on tip ups in 20-60 feet of water at all depths. Jigging was slowwwwwwww. Bunch of guys out on the ice. Great weather!! edges were melting already on the way out.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
What's the word up in Sullivan county???  Thinking of spending a few days up there this week, but don't know about the lake edges !!  Anyone been to:  Superior, Huntington, SWB, White Lk., etc. ????

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just gave my assessment in the Sullivan Small Water thread. White lake was fine yesterday but warm rain is predicted for tomorrow. Going back down to 14 on Wednesday night so I think after that you should be good for Thur.- Sat.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
11 bluegills, 1 yellow perch, 1 black crappie, and a surprising 10.5" golden shiner on Chodikee today jigging with waxworms. Over 12" solid black ice. Edges were fine.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular

Worked hard for these beauties, but could not ask for a better trip!
Took a former student of mine out for lakers and he scored....He landed his first 25" laker on a panfish rod! What a fight and a good memory made!!
Request: If anyone has a flasher that the are no longer using or looking to get rid of let me know. He caught the ice fishing bug, but $$ is tight for him. He is welcome to use my equipment, but looking to get him equipped with some of the essentials. He is a true sportsmen well the support that I and other can give. Flasher is the big one.
Be safe with the sketchy forecast.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
RatherB.....  I've seen some good looking flashers, mostly Vex SL8's, on Facebook (Fishermens Garage Sale group, or IceFishing for Sale group) in the $100 to $150 range.  That's pretty reasonable for a Vex !!

Offline kramer

• IceShanty Rookie
Is the mahogony ridge fish and game clubs contest at highland lake for members only or is it open to the public?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Is the mahogony ridge fish and game clubs contest at highland lake for members only or is it open to the public?

Public check the contest thread for date/time
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks IceBalls, will look into that.
Possibly heading out on a Sullivan county lake Friday afternoon. Any updates would be much appreciated...I am not optimistic other than the cold nights to slow down the thaw!

Offline kramer

• IceShanty Rookie
Public check the contest thread for date/time

Thank you
Saw the flyer. Wasnt sure though
I would like to try  it out. Looks like a  fun contest

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Possibly heading out on a Sullivan county lake Friday afternoon. Any updates would be much appreciated...I am not optimistic other than the cold nights to slow down the thaw!

It will 32F in a few minutes as I type this..then drop in temps all day ...its windy now and going to be that way all day ..going to try and get on my local lake with my ATV if the edges held up later today ...if not I will be dragging my gear .I will try and give you a heads up on conditions.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
For anyone wondering about conditions: The rain had little to no effect on Lake Superior--was out yesterday afternoon and there is still 12 inches of solid black ice. Bite was good but the fish were small.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Rather-B......  I'm heading up to Sullivan County myself tomorrow (Thurs.) to meet up with "SquidBoy".   Plan on staying until Saturday.  Will most likely be on Huntington on  Friday (ALL SULLIVAN COUNTY FISHERMEN INVITED TO JOIN US) usually in the area of the restaurant.  Come on over if you're in the area.  Did you have plans for a specific lake on Fri.??

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Rather-B......  I'm heading up to Sullivan County myself tomorrow (Thurs.) to meet up with "SquidBoy".   Plan on staying until Saturday.  Will most likely be on Huntington on  Friday (ALL SULLIVAN COUNTY FISHERMEN INVITED TO JOIN US) usually in the area of the restaurant.  Come on over if you're in the area.  Did you have plans for a specific lake on Fri.??

I am not specific on the lake but I do plan to fish on Friday. I might prefer to do White Lake for the variety of fish but like most others it can be the dead sea on a wrong day. I never have fished Huntington.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Was out on my local lake today ...we lost very little ice from the warm up 9+ inches ..some pre augered holes grew some with the thaw ...shoreline was holding up except where some run off drained into the lake ..was only out for 2.5 hrs that wind was wicked and never stopped...tomorrow looks to be a better day.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I am not specific on the lake but I do plan to fish on Friday. I might prefer to do White Lake for the variety of fish but like most others it can be the dead sea on a wrong day. I never have fished Huntington.

Gam

We fish Huntington quite a lot... good SMB, Crappies, Perch, and the DEC stocks 1800 Brown Trout every Spring.  There have been some Walleyes caught there and a HUGE Channel Cat a few years ago.
Lake is in the Town of Cochecton, has a DEC access site with parking for about 7-8 cars and an easy access boat ramp by the parking lot.  Guaranteed better than the "Dead Sea"....

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
From what I’ve experienced, the lake edges really haven’t thawed. With all the rain, lakes rose and then dropped.
Being attached to shore, there was cracking, faulting and separation. Didn’t lose much in thickness. Like a pie crust. Lake edge slabs same thickness as mid lake ice. Your mileage may vary.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
ICEBALLS
I can't make it tomorrow, I plan on fishing Friday after work, but my buddy is going to try. His name is Nick, great guy and a real character. If you see a white civic that is him. He just picked up a Marcum LX 6 today and he is itching to try it. Good luck and be safe, I hate this inconsistent weather , it can really mess up the ice and the consistency of reports.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ICEBALLS
I can't make it tomorrow, I plan on fishing Friday after work, but my buddy is going to try. His name is Nick, great guy and a real character. If you see a white civic that is him. He just picked up a Marcum LX 6 today and he is itching to try it. Good luck and be safe, I hate this inconsistent weather , it can really mess up the ice and the consistency of reports.

Tell Nick (if he's coming to Huntington) we're in a Black "IceCube" hub shelter....look for the IceShanty flag attached to our sled!!  Probably staying until Sunday, so if you're in the area....call me 646-208-4920  or 845-557-6232 (John's house).  Not sure where we're fishing Sat......

Offline Chaz13

• IceShanty Rookie
If anyone is interested I seen that Swan Lake Fire Co. posted today on their facebook page that they are having a ice fishing contest Sunday Jan 28th registration starts 6am.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
IceBalls may the bite be on for you,Squidboy and whoever else shows up on Friday.   Chaz13 thank you for the info. on Swan Lake Fire CO. contest wish they had posted it to their facebook page sooner would have tried to get day off from work.
Steve

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
We're planning on fishing Huntington on Friday as well. We've never been to the lake and are going to give it a shot on Friday. We'll have a clam thermal refuge ice shelter and drive a blue Jeep Grand Cherokee. Most likely be grilling up some venison for lunch 😁
May your tip up flags fly high!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Saw a post on FB saying Echo lk contest (assuming Fallsburg FD) for Saturday January 27th...I cant confirm this via any direct links ...BTW Swan lks is usually the first contest of the season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.