New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096176 times)

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
back side of Sodom has a thick 5". got some nice perch there today. watch out there are the normal soft spots.
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
back side of Sodom has a thick 5". got some nice perch there today. watch out there are the normal soft spots.

Good early ice.  Unfortunately the forecast after tomorrow is no good.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Greetings Happy Holidays to all of you. I see some of you have already made your first trip of the 2016-17 ice fishing season congratulations. The snow we are currently receiving will slow down ice formation so please be careful if attempting to go out on this early/first ice. Thank you to BlueSail and BossJ for your reports.

Here are some phone numbers that maybe of use to some of you.

Sterling Forest State Park visitors center (845)-351-5907 ,   Harriman State Park (845)-429-8257 , Lake Tiorotti field office (Harriman State Park)   (845)-351-2568
If you call either Sterling Forest or Harriman State Park should be able to get reports on both parks. Also believe there is a reports and conditions thread for the parks started by member Pooley.   REMEMBER BOTH OF THESE PARKS REQUIRE A MINNIMUM OF 6  INCHES OF ICE BEFORE THEY WILL OPEN LAKES WHERE IC FISHING IS ALLOWED> ALSO ICE CONDITIONS ARE NOT CHECKED DAILY THE SAME RANGER STAFF COVERS BOTH PARKS AND IN MY OPINION COULD USE MORE EMPLOYEES> (SHORT HANDED)

Winding Hills Park   ranger station (845)-457-4918    This park is off of route 17k in the town of Montgomery only main lake (Diamond Lake  is open for ice fishing when ice conditions are safe in opinion of park staff. there is a sign just inside park entrance that tells if lake is open for ice fishing. The two closet bait shops are Tom's in Fair Oaks/Middletown and thruway Sporting Goods in Walden.

I compiled a list of ice fishing contest in Sullivan County for the preseason gathering if anyone would like a copy please send me a personal message with your mailing address. All dates listed are tentative based on previous years contests. When I get more info. on these contests will pass it on to AdkRoy for inclusion in the contest thread found stickied near top of New York Community board.

Steve

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks MrClean.....great job !!!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Fish307 FB live seminars NOW
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Found 5 inches of ice this afternoon, I sure wish I did not have to spend most of the day plowing, shoveling...
Finally got my line wet, though only a short time, caught a few panfish and will be out there early tomorrow!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Found 5 inches of ice this afternoon, I sure wish I did not have to spend most of the day plowing, shoveling...
Finally got my line wet, though only a short time, caught a few panfish and will be out there early tomorrow!

be careful calling for upper 40s and rain

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Lil Video to help out with the itch

love the IDO guys ...they fish ..film ...produce...put out weekly ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PLGoose88

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone ever fish stissing pond?

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Be careful everyone. I went to a certain lake in sullivan county yesterday and fell through up to my ballsak.

We formed maybe 2 good inches of ice, but then got 2 feet of snow, which insulated that ice from getting any thicker. Then we got rain and warm temperatures to rot what good ice we had. Now that melted snow/ice layer froze back up and created a very dangerous scenario.
Get the flag!

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
I fished Sullivan both Sat and Sun and had 5 solid inches both days, even in the pouring rain on Sunday - 5 inches ice and 2 inches water on top! On the other side of the lake I was told there was +3...
Kinda fun fishing in the rain, it was 50° and the water was pouring into the holes...spring was in the air! This arctic blast we are having again will likely add a couple more inches, my lake might just be set for the year unless January is warm  :)
Plenty of gills caught, only dink perch sadly.

I might get the quad out there tomorrow...

Safe and tight.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Got out today in Orange County on a private pond I fish caught some Crappies but overall slow day

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
was looking to fish the back side of Sodom again tomorrow after work. can anybody please steer me in the right direction to walters house. not looking for honey holes or anything but some help would be greatly appreciated. never caught one and would be over the moon if I did. pm if necessary. found some 12" yellow perch so I think im going in the right direction. thanks

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Almost forgot to mention I used my new clam drill plate with a 7" lazer and M18 Fuel (1200lb torque model) and holy hell does that thing cut fast.... only problem i had was if I would just gun it when trying to drill it would spin around on the top of the ice and not catch if there was no pressure put on it and also when it would break through at the bottom if i wasn't paying attention and didn't lift up a little it wouldn't break through clean and I would have to reverse out and slowly drill down again. I'm gonna test out the mora I have laying in the garage and see how that works compared to the lazer

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Nice catch of fish.  :thumbsup:
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Got out again today for a couple hours found 7" of ice where I was. Ended up with 20 crappies all around the 8"-9" range didn't keep any.

On a side note put the 7" mora on the clam plate today. Spun around a little more on top of the ice than the lazer and cut a little slower through the ice than the lazer seemed to. However, it did cut better at the bottom of the ice than the lazer did so it was kind of a wash. Think I'm gonna stick with the lazer as it cut through the ice quicker so I'd be able to get more holes out of it. Drilled 27 hole on a battery that had 2 of 5 bars left and still had power so up to about 50 holes... 27 thru 7" (189" total) of ice with the mora and roghly 23 thru 4" (92" total) of ice with the lazer. Both days were around 25* for a temp and left the battery attached to the drill on the ice. Also the battery wasn't fully charged to begin with yesterday so looks like it'll be able to drill plenty of holes for the way I fish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
On my Lazer/Clam plate set up ...I loosened the blade bolts and then retighten them ..that seemed to fix some hang up issues ...its a bit of a leaning curve when you first get started with plate .

Offline PLGoose88

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking to get out Thursday in Putnam County. Will let everyone know what i find.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Got out again today for a couple hours found 7" of ice where I was. Ended up with 20 crappies all around the 8"-9" range didn't keep any.

On a side note put the 7" mora on the clam plate today. Spun around a little more on top of the ice than the lazer and cut a little slower through the ice than the lazer seemed to. However, it did cut better at the bottom of the ice than the lazer did so it was kind of a wash. Think I'm gonna stick with the lazer as it cut through the ice quicker so I'd be able to get more holes out of it. Drilled 27 hole on a battery that had 2 of 5 bars left and still had power so up to about 50 holes... 27 thru 7" (189" total) of ice with the mora and roghly 23 thru 4" (92" total) of ice with the lazer. Both days were around 25* for a temp and left the battery attached to the drill on the ice. Also the battery wasn't fully charged to begin with yesterday so looks like it'll be able to drill plenty of holes for the way I fish

I have the same drill and 8" Fin Bore (laser blades), had the same problem when I had the drill on high speed (#2). I put the drill on low speed and it worked great and still cut the holes fast.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
----SAVE THE DATE----
 Saturday January 28, 2017. The Fallsburg Fire Department will have their annual Ice Fishing Contest. 6am-3pm at the Fireman's park. Trophies, cash prizes, etc

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have the same drill and 8" Fin Bore (laser blades), had the same problem when I had the drill on high speed (#2). I put the drill on low speed and it worked great and still cut the holes fast.

Drill was on low speed (1)

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
----SAVE THE DATE----
 Saturday January 28, 2017. The Fallsburg Fire Department will have their annual Ice Fishing Contest. 6am-3pm at the Fireman's park. Trophies, cash prizes, etc
which body of water do they have the derby on?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
which body of water do they have the derby on?

Westwood Dr T/Fallsburg...12733  I believe...known as Echo lake or Alta lake

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Glad to hear that this cold snap gave us good Ice already...one problem ...I got an 8 pointer that is still hanging  and solid as a rock!!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Glad to hear that this cold snap gave us good Ice already...one problem ...I got an 8 pointer that is still hanging  and solid as a rock!!
[/quoteFunny how it went from so warm it would spoil, straight to it will freeze in a day.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
best i could find on mousies is from knutsonslivebait normally i don't use them because they charge shipping but it is what it is.... 240 for 46.62 total stupid $11 shipping on an item that weighs less than a pound unbelievable lol... brakes down to .19 a mousie without the shipping woulda been .14 a mousie... also theres some on ebay 100 for $20 or you can bid on 500 and hope for the best usually its over $60 lol

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
WAXIES....PETCO......$16 FOR 500

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
WAXXIES = CRITTERGRUB.COM     PRICE VERIES BY HOW MANY YOU ORDER. I GOT 5000 AND IT BROUGHT IT DOWN TO $5.60 PER TIN OF 250
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
WAXXIES = CRITTERGRUB.COM     PRICE VERIES BY HOW MANY YOU ORDER. I GOT 5000 AND IT BROUGHT IT DOWN TO $5.60 PER TIN OF 250
AND SHIPPING IS INCLUDED IN THE PRICE!!!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
IMO mousies are the best live bait for jigging. Always done better with them compared to wax worms spikes the mousies have better action. But to each their own

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.