New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096176 times)

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
hit a dutchess county pond this morning 6 inches of ice bite shut off as soon as the sun came over the trees i wish we got an inch of snow

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
PerchFace, I've been catching them on a small tungsten jig perch colored with either waxies or mousies, no luck yet with larger lures this year. Also caught a few using tipdowns with minnows, I just started using them this year and I love em (thanks to hardwater diehard for all the help!)  I just might buy or make a couple more. It was fun today to have a school of perch come through,, one on the jig and then immediately on one of the tipdowns, frantic fun. Also thanks to mr.clean for all the info.   Let's hope the predicted above freezing days ahead don't affect the ice!

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bluesail. Thank for the info. That's what I normally do. This year I am trying to rely on plastics but I think I'm gunna have to buy some mousies. By tipdown are you talking about jawkacker or autofisherman? Looking for some hogs like those . Haven't got on them yet.
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Bluesail. Thank for the info. That's what I normally do. This year I am trying to rely on plastics but I think I'm gunna have to buy some mousies. By tipdown are you talking about jawkacker or autofisherman? Looking for some hogs like those . Haven't got on them yet.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/sure-strike-tip-down/0000000060989

$5 flat rate shipping ...stock up
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I too am using tungsten ...not really hitting on the plastics thus far for me ..tip them with a waxie game on ...my waxie supply from JA DA bait should arrive this week ..darn blizzard moved back the shipping date...with this clear/black ice leave a little ice in your hole to reduce light penetration some ..those tungstens will break right through the slush .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
I too am using tungsten ...not really hitting on the plastics thus far for me ..tip them with a waxie game on ...my waxie supply from JA DA bait should arrive this week ..darn blizzard moved back the shipping date...with this clear/black ice leave a little ice in your hole to reduce light penetration some ..those tungstens will break right through the slush .
I hear you there man we just got our bait from them and it took longer than usual.
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Does anyone have ice conditions on round and walton lake in Orange county?

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I hear you there man we just got our bait from them and it took longer than usual.

Really cant blame them ...the season just started for most folks...and sure everybody was waiting to order including me ...add in MLK day ...a Mid Atlantice- East Coast blizzard ...Nor'easter...airports closed .Ordered last Monday ,I spoke with them on Wednesday...said shipping Thursday ...got an Email late Friday stating shipping on Monday.   

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
Really cant blame them ...the season just started for most folks...and sure everybody was waiting to order including me ...add in MLK day ...a Mid Atlantice- East Coast blizzard ...Nor'easter...airports closed .Ordered last Monday ,I spoke with them on Wednesday...said shipping Thursday ...got an Email late Friday stating shipping on Monday.   
Oh yeah totally understand. It was just a lot longer for me this time but the bait was great as usual
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I too am using tungsten ...not really hitting on the plastics thus far for me

Tungsten jigs are awesome I switched to them this year and absolutely love them.... I did loose one the other day and I said to myself there goes a $2.50.... as far as plastics go I usually start with mousies on and if they are slamming em like they were today switch to plastics... about 90% of todays fish were caught on plastics and the plastics also helped keep the small bluegills away but attracted more bass as all the bass came on plastics... also a noodle rod was a big difference today as later in the day most of the crappie bites were "up bites" which you wouldn't be able to see well without one

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie
Checked out 3 shallow bodies of water in Southeast Orange County but the ice was not ready yet. Ice ranged from 2"-3" so we did not try to fish them. Drove up to Sullivan County instead where the ice was 5"-7" and caught 9 keeper perch and a mess of smaller perch and sunfish, all on size 4 and 5 tungsten jigs tipped with a combination of spikes and mousies. They weren't hitting bigger jigs and spoons so we stuck with the small Fiskas.

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Anyone know if Glenmere Lake will be open in Orange County? Or do they still have the bubblers on
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone know if Glenmere Lake will be open in Orange County? Or do they still have the bubblers on

Bubblers again this year, unfortunately.

Offline Chris6

• IceShanty Rookie
Does anybody has any info on ice conditions at East Branch (Sodom) reservoir in Putnam?  Thanks

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Does anybody has any info on ice conditions at East Branch (Sodom) reservoir in Putnam?  Thanks

Check the R & C board some recent Putnam activity

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
Glenmere still is closed and just drove by it 5 mind ago and the whole in ice are giant from then

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Where the Helll am I????
Oh yeah ... Pooley, what's with the new 7 lines any combo and you don't need to name and address your tip ups any more?
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
I don't know if his prices are competitive this year,but I got mousies last year when nobody had any,and just ordered without shopping this year from Smith Creek Fish Farm.
His mousies,and Spikes are plump and quite lively!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
I picked up some mousies today at Gander Mountain in Middletown.
Don't know how long they will have them in stock. Inventory was pretty low.
I forgot to ask if they would be getting anymore in.

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
I picked up some mousies today at a bait shop in Danbury over the line. 

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
Where the Helll am I????
Oh yeah ... Pooley, what's with the new 7 lines any combo and you don't need to name and address your tip ups any more?
the DEC started this because of the newer style of fishing with rods in setups like tipdowns and jawjackes, to name a few. these are setups with strike indicators similar to a tipups so the law has been changed to a total number of lines that can be used instead of how many rods and how many tipups.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
The  syllabus states that no more than 7 lines maybe used.   (Page 52)   A line is defined as ANY device used for fishing thru the ice.  (Page 60).   They removed the language about labeling your tip ups, and I do not see any reference to it in the syllabus anymore
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Mr. Jimmyclaude  welcome back sir it has been some time since I last say a post from you here on Ice Shanty. Pooley is not that active of a poster anymore he does visit the website and my post a reply or send you a personal message. Some of the SENY crew that you met back at Lake Huntington in 2009 seem to have vanished  I have not seen any posts from Holehawg(Joe) in a year or more, Topher(Chris) is now living in the state of Florida. Topher is still building custom rods.
  I last saw Pooley in November since December of 2013 we have had a Preseason season meeting of members from SENY at the Gander Mountain store in Middletown,NY. .Also saw IceBalls (Roger) at the meeting . Hope all is going well with you and your business.

Mr.Clean/Steve

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline pondbass9787

• IceShanty Rookie
Was out for a little on a lake in southern ulster. About 5-6 inches but def softened up a bit after the warm day. The 10 day doesn't look too good for the ice. Has anyone seen sylvan recently? Was it still open?

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
sylvan is wide open and with this forecast does not look like it will be getting ice this year.........

Offline pondbass9787

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the update. That's crazy and yeah this might be it for our local ice this year at least in Orange, dutchess, most of ulster. What a winter!

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the update. That's crazy and yeah this might be it for our local ice this year at least in Orange, dutchess, most of ulster. What a winter!

I wouldn't go that far yet - middle of February is forecasted to be quite cold. I think we'll have at least a few more weeks of local ice.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
As long as its cold at night everything that melts during the day will refreeze.... Just have to make it through Sunday... that will be the worse day/night

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
well its not cold at night!   37 here at 5:30 am!   my cleats were sinking 1/2 inch into the ice by the time I got off last night!

and the forecast I have seen shows it warming for February not getting colder at all....
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.