New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096461 times)

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
not even close yuk

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Similar to yellow perch,maybe not quite as sweet.
It really depends where you catch them,and what they are feeding on.
We prefer yellows over whites , but most can't really tell the difference!
Dipped in milk/egg wash,and dredged in corn meal,or corn flake crumbs,it's really hard to tell.
They are actually in the bass family, not really a true perch.
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline fishingfamily0509

• IceShanty Rookie
  • proud parents... jig em up girls
Does anyone know if there is slush on any of the lakes in Sullivan county? Particular looking for condition of highland lake and sackett lake

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Does anyone know if there is slush on any of the lakes in Sullivan county? Particular looking for condition of highland lake and sackett lake

Buddy of mine was out on a small pond yesterday ...was getting sloppy as the day went on in the AM ...was bit of a fog last evening ...that is sure to make it wet ...tomorrow  it'll be above freezing at mid day till 4 ...more melt and slop ...probably about 6 inches of fresh snow from yesterday till now ...but the weekend its going to be quite bitter...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fishingfamily0509

• IceShanty Rookie
  • proud parents... jig em up girls
Thanks hard water diehard for the info hopefully not to sloppy contest on highland Saturday and one on sackett the 21st keep me posted if anyone gets out in Sullivan during the week ☺

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Does anyone here fish round lake?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
when i seen the Korean fish lettered van  at tiaroti,I kinda suspected something.. none the less, when i seen a bag of two dozen dinks with other illegal sized sunfish..I don't really care..

No such thing as illegal sized sunfish..... in NYS you can keep any size and you can keep 50.... and the all the lakes in the Sterling Forrest group there go by state regulations except for Lake Trout on Sterling Lake that has special regulations.

I personally don't keep them unless they are 8" because any smaller and it's not worth filleting

it isn't like the state stocks them much with anything...

The only fish NYS stocks in Orange County is Trout and those numbers haven't changed much over the years.... All the walleye and tiger muskies go up state into those lakes for the most part. They used to stock Tigers and Walleye in Greenwood but they stopped that a while ago if it wasn't for New Jersey there wouldn't be walleyes in there

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
shellfish....you are comparing apples and oranges.....the pressure that NY (especially the Beaverkill/Willowemoc system) get is not sustainable.....a lot of fisherman up there keep every legal trout they catch.....I fish them all up there......the best thing NY could do , as some places out west do is put in the slot system, where you can keep trout between 14 and 18 inches and all others need to be released......this leaves the young ones and good breeders .....those big fish are not as good to eat anyway, take a pic and send them back and leave the young ones to grow......

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
Maybe some folks should stick to fishing rather than stirring the pot. Especially when they aren't well informed.
It is what it is....

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
shellfish....you are comparing apples and oranges.....the pressure that NY (especially the Beaverkill/Willowemoc system) get is not sustainable.....a lot of fisherman up there keep every legal trout they catch.....I fish them all up there......the best thing NY could do , as some places out west do is put in the slot system, where you can keep trout between 14 and 18 inches and all others need to be released......this leaves the young ones and good breeders .....those big fish are not as good to eat anyway, take a pic and send them back and leave the young ones to grow......

This year I started to do a slot limit on some of the private ponds I fish that don't receive a lot of pressure to see how it works out

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
gee wiz,, i have over thirty years fishing year round,, hope you are not referring to me stirring anything,, i'm just telling it as I see/seen the changes over the years..take fore your worth. no hard feelings. i still know where the hot spots are regardless
With over 30 years of fishing, you should know the proper limits when it comes to the fish. And as for the private message you sent me, I'm not sure what you were trying to say. Just post it here and maybe another member can decipher it.

It is what it is....

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Don't drink and drive you might spill your drink! or get sent to the slammer... Boy it is sure going to be cold this weekend! Was planning on going out but after looking at the weather it sure doesn't seem like such a good idea

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
CORNDOG, PM SENT  ;D think now the public forum knows you know i know you know we both are confused about the nydec fishery thingy ;D
Still unsure what you are talking about. I made no derogatory posts. I basically answered your confusing post and tried to inform you what the NYS DEC regulations are currently for Bluegills/Sunfish.. And not the only member here who tried. Please stop sending messages to me. I really have no clue what you are trying to gain from sending them.
It is what it is....

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Any Russians here.. just kidding  ;D

Вы хотите остановить промысел

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
But on a serious note looks like 2 possible storms on the horizon..... Thursday and then again sometime either Sunday Monday or Tuesday

Offline peterk814

• IceShanty Rookie
gee wiz,, i have over thirty years fishing year round,, hope you are not referring to me stirring anything,, i'm just telling it as I see/seen the changes over the years..take fore your worth. no hard feelings. i still know where the hot spots are regardless

Lol you might have 30 years, but still haven't read an NYS regulation page huh?

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lol you might have 30 years, but still haven't read an NYS regulation page huh?
Exactly
It is what it is....

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
   well boys, and girls, heres what i have been on in that area:

highland lake is a mess!!! slush covered by the snow is about 3-4 inches thick. i also was on a private lake a few miles from there and same conditions. the days i was out were friday, saturday and sunday. with this snow on top of the slush dont expect it to freeze! there is a good blanket of insulation on top now. i might try today or tomorrow just need to get the roads clean...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any Russians here.. just kidding  ;D
nope none here, they all went back to Brooklyn after they fished out all the lakes in Westchester, Putnam and duchess counties! ;D
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
just shovel off your spots and they will freeze

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
nope none here, they all went back to Brooklyn after they fished out all the lakes in Westchester, Putnam and duchess counties! ;D

Its not just the Russian bucket brigade ...  They know who they are, the self proclaimed loudmouths. 

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
its not bad enough they bucket the baby fish from the lakes they dump tons of crap every where they go one of the best bass lakes i fish was shut down for years due to them leaving trash all over

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
They know who they are, the self proclaimed loudmouths.

Huh? Hope you're not talking about me

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
Huh? Hope you're not talking about me

Lol, not at all.  Bad choice of word.   Another person.

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
its not bad enough they bucket the baby fish from the lakes they dump tons of crap every where they go one of the best bass lakes i fish was shut down for years due to them leaving trash all over
Pretty bad when you pull up a dink 4" perch and someone asks you " if you not going to keep it can i?"
Ahhhhhhhhhh
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline Lineman0406

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone going out this weekend? Just realized I'm off Monday so I'll prolly try to get out somewhere. Hit swinging bridge last sat no walleye but got a bunch of crappie so it was still a good day.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
this wekend is contests on both days. morningside/highland lake on sat, king of the ice on white lake on sunday. and morningside is the IS gathering...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pretty bad when you pull up a dink 4" perch and someone asks you " if you not going to keep it can i?"
Ahhhhhhhhhh
I eat them like smelt. Bones and all  ;D

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looks like the storms are going to miss us for the most part! Saturday looks to be the worse of the 2 but not that bad so those of you fishing stay dry and warm! On a different note I'll be staying nice and warm inside this weekend not worth going out for me in that bitter cold I have plenty of fish in the freezer....

Offline peterk814

• IceShanty Rookie
Looks like saturday night will be hit, into sunday morning.  Saturday should be fishable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.