New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096182 times)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Looks like it may be time to break out the boat again....Last years early ice spoiled me. I really thought we would be on safe ice by now! I might have to give the open water Walleye 1 more chance to jump in my frying pan. ;D ;D

When I went through the pictures I have of ice fishing (started taking pictures in 07 or 08) the earliest pictures I have of ice fishing are from last year and that was on the 18th of December all the other pictures are just after Xmas or the first week of January.... I'd say we're right on tract for a normal start hearing of a cold snap coming starting the 27th..... it'll be soon

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
i know 20 years ago i would be ob the ice 1st or 2nd week of decenber at the latest!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was fishing good ice last year by Dec. 7th and probably could have been out sooner. This year I was lucky to find safe ice that I was able to fish on Dec. 13th! I do know that a few brave souls were out on Morningside before Thanksgiving this year! The recent warm up changed everything here locally. Most bodies of water in lower Sullivan county have opened back up. It won't be long before we're out and about again! I wish everyone a Happy and Safe Holiday/Icefishing Season! ;D ;D ;D

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Wetdreams before I forget here are the phone numbers for Winding Hills Park ranger station and Tom's Bait shop.

Winding Hills Park  (8450-457-4918                Tom's Bait Shop (845)- 733-4642              box398 Prosporus Valley Road  Middletown,NY.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Reelem if you got em, Do you have stock in HT ? Not asking where you are fishing, but where about in the county is home?
I've been out for awhile now also. And two days on good pure see through black ice prior to Thanksgiving. At the end of that real cold snap. cheeers

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
went to morningside this afternoon to see how its holding up. well not good! bout 85-90 percent OPEN WATER with 8-10 inch waves!!!    i might check another pond tomorrow.

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mr Clean thanks for the info. Walt

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
While we are waiting for safe ice to form, here is a list of dates on the Fireman's Icefishing calendar that might interest you.

Swan Lake 1/25
Fallsburg 1/31 -- Echo Lake
Loch Sheldrake 2/7
Hurleyville 2/14 -- Morningside Lake
Monticello 2/21  -- Sackett Lake

Happy Holidays to Everyone

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Winter Solstice  starts at 6:03 pm today ...maybe Ol' Man Winter will get the hint and stick around and bring us some seasonal temperatures . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Winter Solstice  starts at 6:03 pm today ...maybe Ol' Man Winter will get the hint and stick around and bring us some seasonal temperatures .

All the ponds by my house are almost completely frozen over.... for the third time..... unfortunately all the rain coming will send us back to square one...I hope the 4th time is the charm.... weather looks better after the 27th

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
All the ponds by my house are almost completely frozen over.... for the third time..... unfortunately all the rain coming will send us back to square one...I hope the 4th time is the charm.... weather looks better after the 27th

AGREED ...first week in January

thought we would be fishing like these folks by now ...with that November tease

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
AGREED ...first week in January

thought we would be fishing like these folks by now ...with that November tease

I just got done watching that! I watch it every week glad it's on youtube.... wish it was on tv by us tho

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Well I hope this is accurate

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Loudmouth I took a ride past Glenmere yesterday. There were maybe 6-8 aerators setup & working straight out from the pump house. I don't know why they need to shut the whole lake down because of the aerators but I guess you cant blame them because you know someone would have to push it & get to close & fall in then turn around & sue the town for there own stupidity. Mr clean thanks for the info. I guess ill have to try fishing Round Lake & Walton Lake. I know your not supposed to use gas augers on Walton Lake. Ill have to do some searching. Walt

Took a ride up there today and there are about a dozen to 2 dozen set up and working and they go all they way in front of the park now....

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
It looks like it's going to be a late start this year...

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
I predict the 2nd week in January up in Monticello !

• Team IceShanty Addict
That's about what I was thinking to... bummer.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
look into the higher elevations! i have been out 3 times so far!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
10 day looks like junk again.... When will we get out of this weather pattern?

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
My neck of the woods 10 day don't look to awful...teens at night after Sunday ...keeping my fingers crossed 

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I'm getting ready to dig my kayak back out....
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Greetings I hope everyone had and good Christmas . Just wanted to let you all know Thruway Sporting Goods in Walden,NY. currently has all in stock footwear on sale along with clothing. The add can be found on page 21 of Friday's Times Herald Record (newspaper) . I'm sorry that I can not post more details.The sale is in effect to Wednesday Dec.31 . My post will be deleted if I do since paying sponsors of this website sell similar merchandise. Please feel free to send me a personal message if you would like more information. I was looking to purchase a pair of Muck Boots for this season so went to Thruway last night did not know about sale got a pair of Arctic Pros's for the best price I've seen yet this year.

Also will check the Fallsburg Fire Dept. Facebook page to see if any more information has been posted on their contest. thank you Reelemin for the information on the various Sullivan county fire dept.'s contests.
Steve

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
what did you pay? The best price I've got is a local guy at $120

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Kb I paid in the same price range believe $119.95 with the sale discount. One reason I purchased the Arctic Pros's instead of Arctic Sports. The other reason the only had my shoe size in the Arctic Pros's .
Steve

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
That's a good price for Mucks ...I got a pair of the Sport a lil while ago they seem to be the real deal ..now if the ice would only return ...and stay .If it gets into the teens at night ...as predicted ...I might be able to trek out after the 6th of January .

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It is the best price that I found, even off the Internet. I also had the satisfaction of buying from a local retailer.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
The Big Chill has begun ...temperature is dropping fast ....little less wind would be nice for the overnight .

• Team IceShanty Addict
I plan on being on the ice in 10 days-2 weeks based on the forecast. ..

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Received my new rod today and all I can say is it's very well built. I got the Tuned Up Custom rod precision noodle and the tip is very very very sensitive.  Just tossed on a 1/64th on a piece of line and held it through the guides and the tip loaded! No more dealing with spring bobbers. The tip is neon green so easy to see the lift bites often associated with crappie. Seems to have a nice strong backbone as well..... will give a better review once we get ice. Here are a couple pics.....

Let me know if anyone wants more detailed pictures and I'll put them up

• Team IceShanty Addict
Does anyone know anything about the Swan Lake tournament scheduled for 1/25? Is that an open derby or is that for kids? Last year I happened to be on the lake when a small kids derby was going on. I'd sure hate to be the dummy who shows up to a kids contest locked and loaded for a tournament! I've never seen any information on the Swan Lake derby. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.