New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096181 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
SULLIVAN COUNTY REPORT:   Just spent the last four days in Sullivan (Hunting).  Most small ponds and lakes ar locked up, but the ice is not walkable.  Larger impoundments (White Lake, Toronto Res., Huntington) still completely open water.
Friday night, after a steady rain, the temps dropped and the entire area was a "skating rink".  Roads were treacherous.  Luckily all was gone by the next morning.
Need at least two more weeks of freezing temps before the ice will be safe.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
The lakes are prime ..a week of 20 deg weather and no wind will lock up smaller bodies of water up my way 23 deg now with low 13 for later .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
I think this snow might be a problem for the smaller ponds that are locked up... anyone know anything about lakes jeff or superior?

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Well it's not snowing it's sleeting out so it will actually freeze n make more ice!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Well it's not snowing it's sleeting out so it will actually freeze n make more ice!!

All the ponds that were frozen over are now open.... 41* and rain all day doesn't help.... on the other hand the 10 day looks good no threat of snow and cold temperatures won't be long

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Almost cant wait for deer season to end(Dec 1 in Wchester).....almost !!!!!
got the sled ready ...ordered new line and will take care of reels and tipups this week....
I think January will be ready to go ....reservoirs might be a few weeks into Jan but we will find ice somewhere....hope to see you out there !!!

JK

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Almost cant wait for deer season to end(Dec 1 in Wchester).....almost !!!!!

December 1st is last week it already ended in westchester? We have till the 16th here in Orange County but I quit early this year no blackpowder or late archery for me although I would've loved to hunt Sunday night and tomorrow morning....

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
December 1st is last week it already ended in westchester? We have till the 16th here in Orange County but I quit early this year no blackpowder or late archery for me although I would've loved to hunt Sunday night and tomorrow morning....

Ended Sunday (12/7) for us Rifle guys.  No deer this year..... bummer !!  Turkey next in May.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Looks like some snow headed up my way 3-5 inches  ...then the 10 day forecast looks good ...cold nights ....couple of still nights and all will be good in short order .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ended Sunday (12/7) for us Rifle guys.  No deer this year..... bummer !!  Turkey next in May.

Our rifle ended the 7th also but there is muzzleloader/late archery from the 8th to the 16th.....  I got a 8 and a doe... once rifle started I got stuck hunting one particular deer or else I would've added another doe or 2.... bad year for me this year had the opportunity but was just fixated on this one deer

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
sorry    typing skills not the best...Westchester Dec 31

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just to give everybody a heads up the Village of Florida shut down ice fishing, snowmobiling, ice skating, etc (any kind of activity on the ice) on Gleamere Lake this year due to the fact they are putting aerators in the lake..... should be back to normal for next year

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Loudmouth879 thank you for the information on Gleanmere Lake.
Steve

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
What is the purpose for the aerators?
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What is the purpose for the aerators?

My guess is to keep the weeds down throughout the whole year/keep the dock open across from the pump house/make it easier for water to enter the pump house.... I'm not 100% sure of the purpose but that is my guess.... where they are/will be on the lake I'm not sure because I haven't been up there so I'm not sure if they are in the water yet but when I have time to ride by I'll spread the info

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Oh man that's bad news. That's my go to lake when I don't feel like driving up to Monticello being its so close to home. Cant count on the lakes up in Bear Mountain being opened onless theres 2 feet of ice up there & you can get someone to get off there Butt & go out & check the ice !

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for the heads up Loudmouth. Time to start looking for somewhere local to go. Walt

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
and found out the reason for the aerators is to help control the weeds because they can not put chemicals in the lake due to the fact that it is a reservoir and there being a cricket frog "population" although I've never seen one

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
i went up to morningside today. theres still open water! its going to be a while yet...   every lake i passed had open water on it. a good friend drove western sullivan county yesterday and superior, white, toronto, highland, huntington all open! even the little ponds on the sides of the roads, 30-50 FOOT across, still had open water....
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
That wind was wicked the last couple days ...broke up some of the ice that formed on the smaller ponds/waterways  :%$#!:

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i went up to morningside today. theres still open water! its going to be a while yet...   every lake i passed had open water on it. a good friend drove western sullivan county yesterday and superior, white, toronto, highland, huntington all open! even the little ponds on the sides of the roads, 30-50 FOOT across, still had open water....

Frozen water out my window here in OC...

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Boss J thank you for the report on Sullivan County ice conditions. Wetdreams off of route 17k in the Town of Montgomery is Winding Hills Park only the main lake is open for ice fishing. It is called Diamond Lake approx. 40 acres in surface area ,yellow perch, blue gills, sunfish, largemouth bass, possibly crappie. The lake is controlled by Orange County Parks Association. I will look through my fishing info. on local lakes believe I have phone number for the ranger station in park. They have a policy similar to Harriman and Sterling Forest state parks, but check the ice more often then either of those parks has in recent years. The closet bait shop is Tom's in Middletown/Fair Oaks ,NY. off of route 17m.
Steve

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
It's going to rain on Tuesday to... Looks like it might be another late start again this year!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Might get a cold spell next week according to 10 day ....last chance for a Christmas opener...if not first week in January as in the past ...pretty much a normal pattern thus far ...keeping my fingers crossed ..got a lot of new gear/techniques  to field test .

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm still waiting on my new TUCR noodle to get to my house so I wouldn't mind no ice until it arrives. After Wednesday the cold spell begins

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Loudmouth I took a ride past Glenmere yesterday. There were maybe 6-8 aerators setup & working straight out from the pump house. I don't know why they need to shut the whole lake down because of the aerators but I guess you cant blame them because you know someone would have to push it & get to close & fall in then turn around & sue the town for there own stupidity. Mr clean thanks for the info. I guess ill have to try fishing Round Lake & Walton Lake. I know your not supposed to use gas augers on Walton Lake. Ill have to do some searching. Walt

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Loudmouth I took a ride past Glenmere yesterday. There were maybe 6-8 aerators setup & working straight out from the pump house. I don't know why they need to shut the whole lake down because of the aerators but I guess you cant blame them because you know someone would have to push it & get to close & fall in then turn around & sue the town for there own stupidity.

Good to know I'll probably take a ride by this weekend. Talked to an inside source and they said the shut down of the lake was more to do with snowmobiles that use the lake (even though they really shouldn't be since its a reservoir there shouldn't be any gas motors on there) than ice fishing but we'll see what happens they also said it might not be shut down the whole season.... on the plus side the aerators will keep the lake nice and oxygenated lol

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yes there are a lot of snowmobiles on there some times. For the most part most of them do stay away from the ice fisherman & I have had a couple that have stopped & offered to drag my things off the lake. That's the last thing the reservoir needs is a snowmobile going thru the ice.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
A snowmobile thru the ice = structure = fish.  Just give me the GPS co-ords  ha ha ha ha

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looks like it may be time to break out the boat again....Last years early ice spoiled me. I really thought we would be on safe ice by now! I might have to give the open water Walleye 1 more chance to jump in my frying pan. ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.