New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096244 times)

Offline AmIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
Do i need a plank for lake Huntington this weekend

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Loudmouth. I think ill wait till Sunday & head up to Monticello again. Went to lake superier last sunday had my worse day ever up there. There was 20inches of ice up there last week. Stay safe!

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Do i need a plank for lake Huntington this weekend
You gonna be fine .
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline AmIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks ravzy winds gunna be killer tommorow though

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
 11pm it's 26º the lake in the morning is gonna be solid on top .
 Before 12noon wind is gone be ok 10mph after that is getting another 5 in top.
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Any updates on Glenmere?  Id like to hit it in the morning, but dont want to waste an hour's drive one way if its not.

Thanks
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Any updates on Glenmere?  Id like to hit it in the morning, but dont want to waste an hour's drive one way if its not.

Thanks

check out what I said yesterday.... if anything conditions got worse today with the wind and warm temps

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thank you LM, I was hoping to hear from someone who was out there today. 

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
I took a ride past Glenmere around 12;30 today. Starting to loose the shore line along the fence in front of the pump house. I didnt get out & check it but where you get on down the steep launch ramp it looked OK. There were 4 or 5 guys out fishing in the middle of the lake off to the right side. Im heading up to a private lake in Monticello tomorrow morning. Plenty of safe ice up there. Be safe & good luck.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thank you. I will probably go there in the am.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
unable to get out this weekend a wedding on sat. & a wild game dinner today at noon... have fun guys & stay on top...
images.jpeg

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
The private lake I went to today was so private they didnt even let the fish in.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well kb how'd you do?

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I didn't make it out yesterday.   

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Can the Neversink or Roundout be fished through the ice on April 1 st. ?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Can the Neversink or Roundout be fished through the ice on April 1 st. ?

I would be surprised if you could get to safe ice on april 1st the way the 10 day looks

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
No you can not ice fish neversink or rondout.  You also can not use a boat on them if there is any ice present.  The best you can hope for is an open spot to cast from shore.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
boss jigs have you been out ? has anybody been out in sullivan co. ?
I would like to try & get out this weekend white lake or superior … :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
boss jigs have you been out ? has anybody been out in sullivan co. ?
I would like to try & get out this weekend white lake or superior … :icefish:

I would think you would be good to go just be careful on the shorelines (bring a plank just incase) those are the only weak spots down here in orange county

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lots of open spots showing up on East of Hudson Reservoirs.
There where a group on Muscoot behind the DOT yard on Rt100 on Monday.
If there is any current at all,there seems to be open water.
Some smaller ,more sheltered lakes might survive well enough to get another weekend if you really need to but they will be iffy!
Even a couple of farm ponds I have fished are not looking very good.
The ice is vetting that funky look to it,and I'm sure there is some honeycomb ice !
Westchester,Putnam,Dutchess,seem to be mostly done from what I have seen!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
Guys on Croton Falls this morning still 10 in of ice top 6 is soft.
Mr.Esox

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Had a bad weekend last weekend. Myself & 2 other guys had 15 tip ups out & not one flag. Setup from 7 foot down to bottom at 12 feet. We jigged completly around this lake & only managed 1 small perch. We didnt mark anything from mid depth to bottom. Someone told me the oxygen level in the water is way off & that the fish are right under the ice so thats why we didnt mark any. Has anyone else had this happen to them & do you know if this is true ? Walt

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Had a bad weekend last weekend. Myself & 2 other guys had 15 tip ups out & not one flag. Setup from 7 foot down to bottom at 12 feet. We jigged completly around this lake & only managed 1 small perch. We didnt mark anything from mid depth to bottom. Someone told me the oxygen level in the water is way off & that the fish are right under the ice so thats why we didnt mark any. Has anyone else had this happen to them & do you know if this is true ? Walt

That's what normally happens when we have a long cold winter theres low oxygen levels in lakes the fish get as close to the top as they can.... if there is nothing feeding water into the lake or a lot of springs in the lake there will be low oxygen levels in the lake due to when weeds begin to die because of a lack of sunlight the decaying weeds uses oxygen and thus lowering the oxygen levels in the lake..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqIGMXMIca8&list=UU3_D8PdKxi3QxIwJxMqmRvg this video/fishing show will give a better explanation than I did and give you some tactics for fishing lakes with low oxygen.

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Loudmouth thanks for the info. I just got done watching the video. It makes a lot of sense this time of year.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
made it out yesterday. where i went the shores were ok on most of the lake but the high hills limit the sun that gets to this spot. fish are high in the water colum. still caught a good number of fish but everything that would eat was small. i did get a few nice bass though.

the ice was about 16 inches thick BUT it is a very soft 16 inches. you can actually hear the ice melting. and now with this rain the season has ended...

i had a good season. i won 2 contests both with my spoons. i have enough fillets froze in water to hold a few 20-30 people fish fries. never got skunked. and made a few good friends...   

till next season

john     

"boss spoons"   
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Loudmouth thank you for the video I saw this my last time out the one fish caught hung around the hole after being released. Boss Jiggs thank you for the ice report I was wondering what the ice conditions were like in Sullivan County.

Steve

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
I made it out for the last time on Thur.  with boss jigs in Sullivan co . the bite was slow 2 nice gills 1 crappy & 2 bullheads on tip ups.
The season was alot of fun .. I went to 4 major tournaments all across N.Y.. a great year of ice fishing the deep snow made it a lot harder
to get on the ice . still a good year of fishing ...looking forward to next season all ready planning for the tournaments  ..learn from
mistakes cut lines from big pike I was using 20lb fluorocarbon lost fish at tupper lake & sodus bay...got spooled out from lake trout 2 times
 1 time flag broke & the fished spooled the tip up got in another tip up but I catch a 28"laker tupper lake  I was using a old tip up from
buddy who is in ice fishing heaven for good luck ... it was a learning experience, steel for pike next year & tip ups  made for the big fish 
 for sure ...I will be on site just done fishing for the year good luck  & stay on top guys   :) :) :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
deweyicefish, Howdy! Glad to see you had a great season and did well on the tournament circuit. Them Lakers can take a little line, and quick too! ;D  I have Heritages and 500' of line on each of them. I had a Laker take half that line off in short order and the reel was still humming when I got to the flag! I used 30lb Fluoro for pike, I made my own quick strike rigs. It worked well on Tigers too. Congrats and best of luck to you. bart

ANY PICS?

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Bart nice to here from you , a lot of fun this year ... thanks for your help with the gps system. I had some problems at the start ,
but with your help got things turned around ... I still have a few questions with the unit ..yeh next year large capacity spools for the
big fish for sure  :)...If you get down this way next year maybe get a chance to hit chadikee lake for the crappies let me know ... :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Cool, Congrats again!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.