New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096243 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Got out for around four and one half hours Friday afternoon with Hardwater Diehard on a private lake in Sullivan County. Slow day one fish landed between the two of us also lost one on a tip down. ON the flasher fish were rising off bottom looking at jig and going back to bottom. I do not know if the sudden change in temperatures slowed down the bite. Still a fun time on the ice.
Steve

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Steve , been seeing the same for the last month. Come up sniff and hang out for a minute, then right back to the bottom. the occasional take but more sniffers.
Spoke to a guy on the ice last week , seemed to know what he was talking about, said when the ice gets this thick less light gets in which in turn algae stops growing ,plankton get less active, then baitfish less active and so on,,,,,
might be right . i was having a great year up til when the ice was over a foot then it slowed right down......

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I don't know what you guys are talking about, lol

I actually have been seeing  the same thing for a few weeks, I've just gone small to mimic bugs and stuff from the bottom.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Guys when you get sniffers start changing color and sizes until you find what they want. You would be surprised at how much a difference changing colors would make...... Fished from 6-10 on glenmere caught 3 crappie one was 13" 1 perch and 2 gills threw a handful of smaller gills back.... Only issue I had today were the damn foreigners. I'm first on ice drill holes for me and my buddy's tip ups and the foreigners set up 6ft from our tip ups the. They started jigging in between our tip ups I almost lost it. I couldn't believe it no courtesy at all! And the worst part of it all they were keeping 4" fish! Another guy started to come closer so I fired up the power auger and started to drill some holes next to him he still didn't get the message.... If they do this again tomorrow I'm gonna have some choice words for them..... Pictures to follow later

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I was in the bait shop this morning, and the russians came in to get some bait.  They even littered and threw crap around in the mans store!

The chinese keep fish that Id use for bait, and the latinos pay no mind to the season dates.

The best we can do is call the DEC, and hope they get there in time to get them.  Its very frustrating.

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
KB.....Nice !!!!!
If you got any more youd have to change to a longer user name !!!!!!lol....

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks.  Its been a very good year for me so far.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The best we can do is call the DEC, and hope they get there in time to get them.  Its very frustrating.

dec came out nice guy too talked with him for 15-20 minutes..... they all had licenses and since they were pan fish couldn't do anything about it cause of no size limit

here are some pics gills were roughly 9.5"

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Kb congrats some nice looking yellow perch . Loudmouth thank you for the advice . I was told and have read articles saying to go to smaller jigs and less aggressive style of jigging when fishing is slow. Interesting thing is I caught the large mouth bass using a Lindy 360 ice jig  1/8 oz. size  T G Perch color. This jig has a in-line type spinner so you have to jig it some what aggressively to get the spinner to rotate. Hardwater Diehard likes to use Genz worm type jigs tipped with wax worms, I was tipping with mousies the 360 jig uses a treble hook had 2 mousies on the hook. Hardwater owns and was using the flasher after catching the bass I hole hopped with no luck , switched to rod with Northland Hexi Fly jig metallic blue glow fished it slow small lift fall ,light rod shake/wiggle no takers . Hardwater was telling me he had a fish reacting to his jig would rise off bottom so far then go back. The fish we lost on the tip down took out a few feet of line then stopped  set hook pull in line no fish. We assumed it was a yellow perch. I have had similar reaction while using tipups. My close vision also makes it hard for me to tie on smaller jigs currently using a small cross lock snap on end of line to attach jigs and allow for easier jig changing this extra hardware may affect jig action and fish reaction to the jig.
Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
a small cross lock snap on end of line to attach jigs and allow for easier jig changing this extra hardware may affect jig action and fish reaction to the jig.

that it does..... but I typically fish a 1/32oz jig and just switch between the 7 or 8 different colors I have for that jig.... I pretty much know what color works in what lakes/ponds I fish in but every now and then I'll get a day where that color doesn't work and then I start experimenting and I'll know for next time and then that color becomes color #2 for that lake/pond and so on.... it was a good morning this morning I'll post pictures and info after I take a shower

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Be heading out soon ...last three outings have been real tuff going ...the bite has been way off ...fishing known spots for this time of year and can't even find them ...but overall a very productive season ...got on them early and quite steady 'cept for the last couple outings ....nice to see some guys are still on top of them . good luck to all you out there today .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I had a decent morning, I probably iced close to 20 perch, but only kept these:

Im getting good with the electric fillet knife, too bad the season is winding down. 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Be heading out soon ...last three outings have been real tuff going ...the bite has been way off ...fishing known spots for this time of year and can't even find them ...but overall a very productive season ...got on them early and quite steady 'cept for the last couple outings ....nice to see some guys are still on top of them . good luck to all you out there today .

you're going out too late that's why!!!! lol

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So woke up this morning 5:15 and said ehh 5 more minutes next thing I know its 5:40.... oh s*&t I gotta go! Get ready quick hop in the car (good thing it's only a 5 minute drive) and at the lake at 6.... perfect! A friend of mine pulls up says good luck as he was working and leave and we head out. Start setting up my 5 tipups and my uncle drills about 20 holes. I get my 5 tip ups in and then start jigging. 5 minutes later flag! Pull up a 13" crappie. It's gonna be a good day! Go back to jigging and hop to a couple different holes and bag 10" crappie drop it back down and bang 9.75" crappie! Keep bouncing around and then boom flag goes up. Another 9.75" crappie. Back to jigging and another flag and another crappie! 13 inches! Woohoo! Also got two 11" perch one jigging one on the tip ups.... couldn't find the gills only caught 3 the whole day one would've been a keeper but we let it go as I didn't feel like cleaning it (it's nice to have a freezer full and can pick and choose). I now understand why crappie are considered pan fish the bigger ones look a lot like pans. Some nice thick fillets on them as well.... Here are some pics

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just a heads up for anyone looking for a shanty. Hudson valley craigslist in the sporting section there is a frabill 2 man flip-over for sale.  I would look at it but just bought a new bow... 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Loudmouth do not want you to give up any secrets but why do you feel the earlier hours of the day are better time to fish currently. Last time I was out what limited action we had was in the last two hours of day light.
Also I'm thinking of purchasing a leader wallet and tie at home some of my smaller jigs to 1 foot of fluorocarbon with a small swivel on end to make attaching to main line a little easier for me. I have a few tungsten jigs may have to experiment with them small jigs seem to take forever to sink.
You and Kb seem to have the right combination of lure and presentation at this time.
Steve

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I havent been doing the evening bite, all Ive been doing is getting out in the morning, and fishing until I run out of minnows and spikes, about 11-12.   Id like to get out in the evening to go for some crappie, but my time is too limited. 

I have been fishing this lake for quite a few years, and am slowly starting to get it figured out, but that will change.  Once 'they' figure out that Im close to figuring it out, they will change the game, and I'll be back to square one.  Ha ha

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I havent been doing the evening bite, all Ive been doing is getting out in the morning, and fishing until I run out of minnows and spikes, about 11-12.   Id like to get out in the evening to go for some crappie, but my time is too limited. 

I have been fishing this lake for quite a few years, and am slowly starting to get it figured out, but that will change.  Once 'they' figure out that Im close to figuring it out, they will change the game, and I'll be back to square one.  Ha ha

just wake up earlier and catch the crappies in the morning!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ive tried.  I get nothing till sunup, then its a perch bonanza!  But then Im in a good perch spot, not the best for crappie.  I'll get them come spring time from my kayak, so Im not too worried.  Next year I might concentrate on crappie, this was a self directed perch year for me.  They are my target species for now.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Fishing was off for me this weekend . I went to the same spot as last weekend where boss & I slammed them, lucky if I could catch a cold …
 I went back out on sun to another lake that I uasully do well at , got skunked the bite was way off for me this weekend …( maybe the full moon?) :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I went back out on sun to another lake that I uasully do well at , got skunked the bite was way off for me this weekend …( maybe the full moon?) :icefish:

I don't know the bite was on for me this weekend especially yesterday.

Next year I might concentrate on crappie, this was a self directed perch year for me.  They are my target species for now.

I never pick one species to target in a year I like to mix and match. Usually pick a target species for a weekend and then pick something else the next time I go that way I stay fresh on all the different fishing techniques!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Also I just look back at old photos and this is the latest I've ever ice fished..... and I plan to keep going lol

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This same here. Last year by this time I was prepping my kayak for striper fishing in Hudson.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This same here. Last year by this time I was prepping my kayak for striper fishing in Hudson.

I was playing golf at this time last year lol

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
Recently purchased a kayak. Was wondering where you launch when you are targeting stripers?
👮👮👮

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sent you a PM

Offline AmIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
Is there anymore safe ice for this weekend in Sullivan

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yes !.....In the Jameson !!!!!

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anyone been out on Glenmere this week? Looking to go this weekend if its safe! Any updated info would help. Thanks Walt

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Has anyone been out on Glenmere this week? Looking to go this weekend if its safe! Any updated info would help. Thanks Walt

took a ride by this afternoon after work and here is what I saw.... shorline in some areas are gone nearly a foot and in others it's just soft..... ice looked slushy on top didn't walk out and drill a hole cause no auger..... my opinion is wear some knee highs and head on out and drill some holes just make sure you drill in the beginning first! Last time I was there there were 10" of ice that was 5 days ago..... looking at the 10 days seems like we will have ice till april  :cookoo:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.