New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096194 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Just read in the paper that someone fell thru the ice in the North Arm of Greenwood Lake yesterday & had to be rescueded by  The fire department. It didn't say if he was fishing or what he was doing out there. LETS BE CAREFULL OUT THERE GUYS. NO FISH IS WORTH IT ! Walt

Not for me, but I know a few people that I'd like to send out on the ice to test it.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
my fishing partner has been to highland. he says there is open water there still...
ok thanks I figured there will be still open water.

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
I hope not too many casualties with the warming trends on the new ice. It is one thing having safety gear and another having knowledge to use the safety approach. No ice is safe ice but especially lakes with open water or less 5  or 6 inches of black ice. not to be confused with white honeycomb (weak ice) Here is hoping no casualities and this weekends balmy forecast is short lived.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Walked on water in Orange County with my fishing buddy/cousin YesJacker for 2 and a half hours... in spots 2" white ice and 3" black and in other spots 1" white then 3" water and 2" black... Slow day but managed a few crappies and gills... Very soft bite pics will follow.

4 crappie 8 gills take home.... about 8-10 others too small that went back

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Walked on water in Orange County with my fishing buddy/cousin YesJacker for 2 and a half hours... in spots 2" white ice and 3" black and in other spots 1" white then 3" water and 2" black... Slow day but managed a few crappies and gills... Very soft bite pics will follow.

(Image removed from quote.)

4 crappie 8 gills take home.... about 8-10 others too small that went back
Nice man! What town in Orange(not asking for the lake I know some guys don't give up secrete spots)
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Congrats. Looks like a great time.   I can't wait till the lake are good enough here in Dutchess.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
First ice at my farm pond! measured up to 5 3/4 inches, but mostle 5-51/2". Walked back, mesured, almost had a heart attack from excitement (!), ran back to the house, grabbed my jigging pole and ran back again. Fished for about half an hour before dark. Didn't have bait, so just used some plastics. No fish, not even a bite, but it felt amazing to get on the hardwater again!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
OK THE ICE IS NOT SAFE NORTH OF MONTICELLO AS OF NOW!!!   5-6 inches of water on top of ice now, before drilling holes. this weekend is a NO GO! the following is a maybe if it gets and stays cold enough throughout next week. remember i am the crazy guy on 2 inches and i know it will not be safe with the temps to hit 50s. sorry guys but stay home and stay safe for a week or so. i will post my next trip and conditions.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Here's some crappy news.........   Sullivan County Weather......Friday, Saturday & Sunday, Rain, Temps 42 to 61 Degrees

GOODBYE ICE !!!!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
i really dont think it will take all the ice. however it wil melt all the snow on the ice and that we need!!! give it a little time and it will be better in the long run.

Offline perch assasin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig em' up
this weather is BULL😁 Im going Blackfishing😃

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey Perch Assasin why dont you introduce yourself. I hear you about this weather. I was hoping to get on the ice before x mas. Walt

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
I agree with Boss... Things will be better once this warm stuff passes. I'm hoping for some solid stuff just like the rest of us but I will wait... No use risking it. Come January we will be out every day!
It is what it is....

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
SOUTHEAST NY GET-TOGETHER.......................

ANYBODY WHO HAS NOT YET VOTED FOR THE LAKE THEY WANT TO HOLD OUR ANNUAL GET TOGETHER  ON.........

PLEASE GO TO THE THREAD  "SOUTHEAST NY GET TOGETHER" ....CHECK OUT THE FIVE LAKES IN CONTENTION.....

VOTE NOW !!!

thank you

Offline NYICE84

• IceShanty Rookie
  • surfrat lookin for ice

this weather does suck, crazy thing about is i was on the ice on long island for the last 2 days  (had 3-4 inches ) and its all gonna b gone come sunday >:(
fishaholic

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
I want to do that too but, i got to go upstate,, there is enough ice where i go for sure,, wish i could squeeze a blackfish trip in too this baLMY WEEKEND

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
easy guys! we need to set the soft weight that's on top of this nice black ice down. it is thick so it will take a few days to get it really good and not have 2 layers in the ice! once this warm air moves over its followed by a arctic blast. this is happening exactly the way WE need it to....

Offline OldHunter Road

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his
Hi-Everyone I'm excited for another year of Ice Fishing. I own a home in Sullivan county in between Liberty and Roscoe NY. I hope by Mid January we should have safe ice in my area !!! I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a safe Ice fishing year.
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his FLY

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hi-Everyone I'm excited for another year of Ice Fishing. I own a home in Sullivan county in between Liberty and Roscoe NY. I hope by Mid January we should have safe ice in my area !!! I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a safe Ice fishing year.
You too OldHunter!
See you out there soon

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>

Same to you OldHunter !  :icefish:
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline numinous

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When the going gets tough the tough go fishing!
Went by Glenmere today. Two guys fishing close to shore by the park. Didn't have time to stop and ask how thick the ice was. Was it any of you guys on here?

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Fished a small pond in Ulster County today. 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 inches w/ slush and snow on top. Caught 3 small chain pickerel on tip ups, but no jigging action. Didn't venture out too far, because the ice thickness/ slush ratio became worse the farther out you went. If it's not raining, I'll try tomorrow morning, but after that, I'm waiting till Tuesday, since it looks like it'll get below freezing Monday night. Stay on top everyone!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
tipup   your better off waiting more than a day below freezing temps before getting back out there after this weather passes. 2-3 days if its rain and sets down completely. if if just lowers the snow give it a week to get solid again. its hard to wait but at least you will know you stand to fish with alot LESS chances. ill be out by friday i am sure. i hope for wensday probably thursday though...

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
got my ford escape stuck in the field I hunt today getting my stand down  :-X.... Boy is that ground soft lol

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Went by Glenmere today. Two guys fishing close to shore by the park. Didn't have time to stop and ask how thick the ice was. Was it any of you guys on here?

Might have been my buddy I asked him if it was him he hasn't gotten back to me yet

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Well got out on some 6in -7in good ice on my local lake in lower Sullivan county ......caught a nice 13 inch Perch on my tip down bout 20 minutes into my day . My buddies kid was able to jig up 2 more nice 12 inch plus Perch  and some smaller ones on tip ups .Felt good to be out beautiful day .Not as sloppy as i would have suspected .This is the earlist I've been out in quite some time .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
I will tell here in SULLIVAN me and my buddy had a gorgeous day..ice was 5 inches black and 2 slush top in some spots. .biggest waz a 12 inch perch.. gander has Mousies.. will not dare tomorrow. .we kept half dozen for tonight's fry..heading home tomorrow. .will not risk this thaw here.

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hopefully we can get back on the ice right after X-Mas

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any word on lake Superior. Cant wait to try it but im looking to see if anyone knows what is going on up there .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.