New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096348 times)

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tipup28 did you fish North Lake ?  You said green cty so I'm guessing you were there?  Lots of dinks but the occasional large crappie can be found.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
No, I heard a report from another angler. Yeah he said 3" as of 11/29, but with this warm spell that could weaken. The cold is coming back up there starting friday night! Im down by Highland in ulster cty.

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for the info bud. I'm in Kingston, you ever fish Chodikee in your town?  I fished it once before I got my flasher and didn't do too well but was thinking of trying it again.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Chodikee Lake is my Jam! Lots of bluegills, with the occasional yellow prech or crappie for jigging. On tip ups, you get lots of largemouth and pickerel. I don't even use any electronics, you just have to get to know the spots. I am usually out there from ice up till early march,almost everyday of the week. I'll be in the red ice shanty with my dad, so you're welcome stop by if you have any questions. Louisa Pond in esopus is even better in my opinion, and it should be closer to you than chodikee. Its about 10 acres in size and has LOTS of pickerel, and the jigging action on yellow perch is usually nothing less than spectacular, with the occasional perch up to 14"

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Louisa is someplace I'd like to check out.  I'm just across the river in Pok. How early does it freeze?   If anyone wants to meet up, let me know. I'm concentrating on deer hunting right now, but can't wait to hit the ice.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just got home and had a glance over Toronto res. it's all open water , what ice we got last week it's gone :(
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Louisa usually freezes by Christmas, and maybe even earlier this year

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Checked the ice up at Louisa. Only a weak inch, but with the cold, I should be able to get out the by christmas

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ouch!!!Better stay off black lake then! Anybody been on the ice yet in the sullivan county area? There's around 3" up by hunter in greene county, so in a few weeks there should be around 3" down here if we're lucky. Hope this warm spell doesn't totally ruin the progress we've had so far. It's supposed to get cold quick after the end of the week.
I was out on a large private pond on Monday, there was about 3 inches of good solid ice, but I didn't venture out on it again because of the weather.  Caught some nice perch a few small crappies and some decent pickerel.  Gonna need some more cold to get back out
Mark it 8 dude

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
I have a friend who fishes black lake every year there is a gate that has a combination lock & he knows the combo & can get in ...
I always miss the party , a lot of guys go ...they catch some awsome fish ... I will have to try & go this year... :) :)
images.jpeg

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Found a Gander Mtn flyer for ice fishing .....a lot of these items are not stocked at the Middlletown NY location ....but most items can be shipped to store  ... so get those orders in before the meet http://gandermountain.shoplocal.com/GanderMountain/BrowseByPage/Index/?StoreID=2401006&PromotionCode=GanderMt-131204HW&PromotionViewMode=1
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
is there any access to black lake? or is it private?
It's Private BUT I know guy's who go there from the back side. If you know someone who has one of the summer homes it's a lot easier to fish .
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
the access to black lake is very touchy. it is through the woods BUT all the way to the swamp end of black lake then you would need to walk up to it from there. however there is at least 1 of the home owners on black lake that disagrees with those lines giving access and might shoot at people on the ice! this was told to me by the DEC...

LOL
Most of the lakes around that area are private ! BUT that does not stop guy's from going on the lakes. One of the lakes is Swan Lake it is private but they are a lot of guy's that fish it. That's because a lot of the people who live\Own the houses use them for Summer homes. So if you can meet or talk to a home owner they can give you access .  Sometimes you can trade for access like Fish, Deer meat, Security, work around there property, PBA card's , I even have insurance that I can show them .

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
So my taxidermist sent me a photo of what was in the stomach of the Muskie I caught in February and in the picture was a full 12" carp!

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Supposed to cool down tomorrow night, but it's not supposed to get below 50 all night. This warm weather is NOT good. Good thing its going to be cold all next week. Hopefully I'll be on the ice up in greene county by december 21st.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hardwater Diehard thank you for the link to Gander Mountain ice fishing flyer. I should know by Saturday if I have the fourteenth off will bring my Arctic Armor suit for everyone to look over. If need be I will stop by for the first hour bring a change of clothes and go from Gander to work. Just a few questions for you do you need any of us to bring some type of refreshments (Soda ,drink cups, etc.) . Also does the lodge room have some type of dry erase or black board , I have the phone numbers for Sterling Forest state park and Lake Tiorotti field office in Harriman state park plus number for any Orange county owned lake.
Steve

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Loudmouth879,
How big was the Muskie ?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hardwater Diehard thank you for the link to Gander Mountain ice fishing flyer. I should know by Saturday if I have the fourteenth off will bring my Arctic Armor suit for everyone to look over. If need be I will stop by for the first hour bring a change of clothes and go from Gander to work. Just a few questions for you do you need any of us to bring some type of refreshments (Soda ,drink cups, etc.) . Also does the lodge room have some type of dry erase or black board , I have the phone numbers for Sterling Forest state park and Lake Tiorotti field office in Harriman state park plus number for any Orange county owned lake.
Steve
  No dry erase board or black board at Gander Mtn..  I'm working on that ..... I'm going to supply a box of Joe w/cups etc ....if you would like to bring water or something cold that would be great ....they do have a DVD/VCR ....I'll run some In-Fisherman Ice Fishing DVD's for background noise and topics ....That AA suit would be nice to see as I'm really considering a purchase .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Once I know if I will be able to attend all four hours or just part of the event will due some shopping. I have a small Igloo ice chest will bring if able to stay for full event ,also think we should have a sign in sheet . The sheet would let us post a report of who attended after the event plus give us a number to tell Gander MTN.  .  If the turn out is high enough we maybe able to with their help get some type of demo or seminar in future years.
Personally I hope Boss Ji can attend would like to compare his Striker suit to my Arctic Armor. The Striker suit  appears to have some features that many people may prefer like vents in jacket ,zipper to hip on bibs and adjustable inseam length.
ShawnM I think Loudmouth's muskie measured 42 inches and weighed 22 pounds.

Hopefully I will get to meet a lot of you at Gander on the fourteenth.

Steve

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Shawn I was off Loudmouth's fish measured 44 inches ,girth of 22 inches estimated weight of 22.6 pounds. If you go to page 2 of the How to properly land a fish thread in the NY. community Loudmouth includes a video link in his reply . The video is a condensed version of his fight with the fish.
Steve

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Hey everyone I hope everyone is doing well. I see you guys are meeting up at gander mtn on the 14th. I work there in the fishing department so if your there just ask for joe but I'm not sure if I'm working yet then. What time are you all meeting up there? If anyone has questions just let me know. Ps by the way I hear guys are starting to ice fish small ponds in Sullivan!

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Loudmouth879,
Very nice GWL Muskie. I have taken some nice eye's around that same spot on the open water. Maybe if it has ice I'll see you out there.
Shawn

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hey everyone I hope everyone is doing well. I see you guys are meeting up at gander mtn on the 14th. I work there in the fishing department so if your there just ask for joe but I'm not sure if I'm working yet then. What time are you all meeting up there? If anyone has questions just let me know. Ps by the way I hear guys are starting to ice fish small ponds in Sullivan!
  The  meet is from 2PM  to 6PM on the 14th ....I spoke with Larry and he was unfamilar with the IceShanty site ....are you guys running any deals that day ....your sister stores further up in NY are having there Ice Expo .....will those deals prices be honored ?

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
  The  meet is from 2PM  to 6PM on the 14th ....I spoke with Larry and he was unfamilar with the IceShanty site ....are you guys running any deals that day ....your sister stores further up in NY are having there Ice Expo .....will those deals prices be honored ?

Umm in not sure on the prices being honored but I don't see why not. I will talk to my manager for you though. And as far as deals go some ice combos are going on sale but that's about it.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
"" Ps by the way I hear guys are starting to ice fish small ponds in Sullivan!""

Ice in Sullivan?! Where? I NEED TO GET ON THE ICE NOW!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
first there WAS a little ice in Sullivan but its gone now.

i will be at the meeting at gander mountain on the 14th. i will bring my striker suit. iceballs, i will bring a few of my spoons too. i am hoping they will let me use a 5 gallon bucket and my jigpole so i can show you what i am making...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
HEY MODS    WHY IS MY HANDLE COMING UP AS BOSS JI???   MY HANDLE IS BOSS JIGS!!!   IT HAD THE GS IN THE PAST   WHY HAS IT BEEN CHANGED???

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Loudmouth879,
How big was the Muskie ?

44" 22" girth and estimated 22.6lbs like mr. clean said

Loudmouth879,
Very nice GWL Muskie. I have taken some nice eye's around that same spot on the open water. Maybe if it has ice I'll see you out there.
Shawn
I was targeting eyes that morning and struck out.... Didn't have any luck with the eyes last year marked a few but they just sniffed.... always this year!

Here is the link to the video for those of you who want to watch it again or for the first time as well as to get us pumped for ice fishing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1_BrU5eKXc

Soon I'll have a picture of the mount!

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
"" Ps by the way I hear guys are starting to ice fish small ponds in Sullivan!""

Ice in Sullivan?! Where? I NEED TO GET ON THE ICE NOW!
I only got out one day for a few hours on Monday, wouldn't get back on it the next day because it was so warm.  Most ice is gone now, which might be good so that if we do get snow, it will not stay on top and impede the ice thickness growth
Mark it 8 dude

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
i agree fishfighter. at least this freezing rain and snow will chill the surface again fast. i am now hoping in a week to a week and a half i might try to get out...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.