New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096183 times)

onice2013

How can the smaller lakes probably have less ice than the big ones?
[/quote I agree, they are too wierd at that place ::) ::)]

onice2013

yeah most likely crappies.
Nothing wrong with that man!

onice2013

yeah most likely crappies.
It may be good targeting them at night but from my experiencing on other crappie water, daytime is better for whatever reason ..matbe open water warm season night might be better but, I done best twilight..gawn or dusk during prespawn after ice out too. gl

onice2013

I bet anybody who braved today's frostbite temps with thewind chill had a hard time with the line ::)I'm going to wait for a break in this weather..perhaps next week

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Well now we know that any info. from the Tiorotti field office in H.S.P. should be taken with a grain of salt. Did something happen years back that the Palisades Interstate Park Commission is so leery of letting anyone on the park lakes. Other then Sterling Forest and Rockland both under PIPC control I have never seen the sign/flag system they at other state parks (Monguap pond in Sullivan county for example) do not have any similar system.  Are these parks now so under staffed that they do not have the personal to check ice conditions so they just keep things closed and feel they will avoid any possible lawsuits if something did happen to an icefishermen.

Steve

onice2013

Well now we know that any info. from the Tiorotti field office in H.S.P. should be taken with a grain of salt. Did something happen years back that the Palisades Interstate Park Commission is so leery of letting anyone on the park lakes. Other then Sterling Forest and Rockland both under PIPC control I have never seen the sign/flag system they at other state parks (Monguap pond in Sullivan county for example) do not have any similar system.  Are these parks now so under staffed that they do not have the personal to check ice conditions so they just keep things closed and feel they will avoid any possible lawsuits if something did happen to an icefishermen.

Steve
I sus[ect they do not want invaders lol

onice2013

I'm going to call seven lakes drive tomorrow for the hell of it. I want to ask if they even bother to measure the ice so we at least have some idea how long it may take to open. I do know the smaller lakes they open first before the bigger ones but who knows, ..I bet by the weekend some harriman water will be open for icefishing.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I'm going to call seven lakes drive tomorrow for the hell of it. I want to ask if they even bother to measure the ice so we at least have some idea how long it may take to open. I do know the smaller lakes they open first before the bigger ones but who knows, ..I bet by the weekend some harriman water will be open for icefishing.

It may be open but it won't be open long if it does. With the temps in the 40's that are coming they will close it faster than they opened it

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

onice2013

I sure hope not, I hope February is a normal winter month. LM, I'm going to try Glenmere if Harriman doesn't open. That res is shallow bu may have  decent YP .. I know it is full of pickerel,, but I don't usually care to fish pickerel. Do you know that place well? Is Walton lake better fishing? Have yet to try Walton lk. it will be a first time for me.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Left glenmere around 630 tonight. was there for a few hours. About 6 inches of ice. caught only one pickerel. with the wind the ice was starting to crack like crazy so i left. but should be good for the contest on Saturday!

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good to see people getting out! Anyone going to fish the dead sea for the king of the ice this year?

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Alright. Here is the deal in Harriman. Years ago, it was a 1 flag system, with a little bit of room for common sense. The flag system was started because city people (and other clueless people!) had no clue, and would walk out on the ice, without knowing whether it was safe or not. As people started suing like mad, they started putting flags at all the lakes. Now, they have no money, and managers that have no spine, and no clue! We live in an area that people will blame the park, before themselves. It sucks, but there it is. There is no way to change it, unless we get someone with a clue to run it!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Alright. Here is the deal in Harriman. Years ago, it was a 1 flag system, with a little bit of room for common sense. The flag system was started because city people (and other clueless people!) had no clue, and would walk out on the ice, without knowing whether it was safe or not. As people started suing like mad, they started putting flags at all the lakes. Now, they have no money, and managers that have no spine, and no clue! We live in an area that people will blame the park, before themselves. It sucks, but there it is. There is no way to change it, unless we get someone with a clue to run it!

Truth. :'( long gone are the days of taking responsibility for ones actions...

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

onice2013

I agree and though it makes some sense for them to wait until a gas auger is required (last time it opened for me , it was 18 inches  ::)) I remember saying to myself they finally opened it but now the ice was too thick for all but the smallest sharpest hand auger . I recommend  bring out a gas when it is over 12 inches thick when sledding for perch.Maybe the park should adopt an ice fishernen's permit .. It would help the park manage those so called citiots from venturing on unsafe conditions. The permits should be issued/ free of charge and to apply for one , all one needs is ice fishing gear. Of coarse the ice flag rule should still apply ,, perhaps no open water and 5 inches is required. But what rules in place now are simply rediculous. I remember calling many times, knowing the monksville /greenwood lake had plenty ice and they are much bigger water and slower to freeze. Those Seven lakes had safe ice and when it did finally open , the ice was a rediculous 18 inches thick and the park had cut back on plowing out lots that they use to do for us licensed fishermen. Mind you, I pay nonresident 70.00 anual just for fishing. and the state has been cutting back on stocking programs as with park staff management and it just isn't right. jmho

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Anyone know of any safe public ice is the area...besides glenmere
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
just got home from my hot spot. had 9-10 inches of ice. was out 9-11 caught over 10 bluegills multiple tiny perch a pickerel and lost a huge pickerel on a tipup

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Moose66 try giving Winding Hills park a Call the lake there is only forty or fifty acres in surface area. I think they should  allow you on the ice with the recent weather. The park is off of rt.17k in the town of Montgomery . I will post the phone number below for you. The various lakes in Sullivan County should be open  give Sports nuts bait shop in Rock Hill a phone call.
   Icefisherman10990 would care to share with us the name/location of your hot spot . I like the gloves in your photos.

Winding Hills Park ranger station 845-457-4918  park run by Orange county.

Steve

onice2013

Mrclean, prior to reading your post to moose, I called the number you provide and found out how small the pond is in that park. It just opened today but, small ponds like that are usually fished out a lot sooner after it gets hit..jmho.. not worth a trip for me.. albeit tried calling Tioroti   today, no answer , so I phoned sterling and asked about blue lake and Harriman prospects.. she said only the little ponds were open in sterling and Harriman may not open this season ::) said they are concerned for our safety :-\I won't keep my fingers crossed for Harriman after hearing that from her.

onice2013

Aren't those little specks on the tiny perch parasite worms everybody asks about?

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
Hit a spot today with my buddy and my friends Mom(yeah, she's 60 something and is a fishing machine). We landed a total of 12 Pickerels, I had 4 on the rod and 4 on tip-ups. Also 5 big gills one over 8". Tip-ups rigged with minnows and jigging with jumbo meal worms. My buddy had two pickerels on a rod(using waxies), two on tip-ups(minnows) and a bunch of gills(waxies). On the ice at Noon, off at 5pm. The best was when I landed a pickerel on a tip-up and it had my buddies jig that he had just lost in the corner of its mouth. Not even joking!

It is what it is....

onice2013

After this freeze, We all here should break for a tournament  ;D where are the derbies :P ;D

Offline Rich_Weinberg

• IceShanty Rookie
I made a few calls, and sent 2 emails, and finally received a real response from Harriman/PIPC (shown below).  Can anyone verify that there was open ice at Tiorati yesterday (Thursday) as claimed below? 

(Email Response to my email from Park Manager David Barone)
To date, the ice has been tested and surveyed at all the lakes in Harriman and was deemed unsafe.  We will be monitoring the ice conditions each day and when it (the ice) meets the designated safety conditions we will open up to ice fisherman.  Yesterday, Lake Tiorati had a significant amount of open water as did Lake Welch.  Currently, Sterling Forest does have 2 lakes that are open and safe for Ice Fishing.  Those lakes are Laurel Meadows Pond North and Little Dam Lake.

Judging by the forecasted weather conditions, I do expect Harriman will be able to open, at least in part, some of its lakes for Ice fishing early next week.     

David Barone

onice2013

Fair enough, I guess I'll go to hit Glenmere , did someone mention there was a derby going on there this weekend? I may just want to jig around if I have nothing else to do.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fair enough, I guess I'll go to hit Glenmere , did someone mention there was a derby going on there this weekend? I may just want to jig around if I have nothing else to do.

yes there is registration is 6-8 and its $10

onice2013

you going? any other regulars here  ???

onice2013

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
wish i could go but im working 32 hours this weekend for a mandatory anual inventory and since im the forklift driver there is no chance they would have let me go

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
you going? any other regulars here  ???

I do not plan on going because I have a lunch date so won't be able to be there to weigh the fish in at 1 since thats when I'm going to lunch but I may go fish for a little bit in the morning for a few hours depends what time I get home tonight/how I feel when i get up

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                 up at buddys house  getting gear ready for walleye challange  in am ....
images.jpeg

Offline john23

• IceShanty Rookie
anyone no how walton lake is looking? hopoing to give it a try on sunday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.