New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096095 times)

onice2013

yup agree RB, I didn't even get to use my new nil hand auger lol.. been using my strikemaster 6 inch  lazer last week when I was fortunate  I had a three day weekend on the swinging bridge. I just hope there is  plenty of ice leftafter this melt for the next cold snap.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Well on a good note I just checked the 10 day for where I live and starting on Monday temps will be back below freezing at night so any ice that melts during the day starting monday will re-freeze at night! The cold air looks like it is going to return around the 20th or 21st, but temps in the low 40 until till the 18th then it's back in the 30's starting on the 19th. Just hope the ice holds through tomorrow which it should because it's supposed to be cloudy all day! Some good news for you all.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline lake simon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • look familiar
hope your right loudmouth.i'll keep my fingers crossed. any one here going to the northern challenge up at tupper lake.we go every year. won a power auger  there a few years ago and won a vexilar last year.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                                   I am going to try & go up for 1 day not the 2 day pro am...
                                   next years goal will be the 2 day pro am tour...   ( going to need a partner)
                                   starting now to get gear togather & make plans...
images.jpeg

onice2013

I may be interested , I have to search the date , maybe the adk park will be fun trip. Especially if there is no good ice down here that week.

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Heading up to the Long Lake area end of the month. Anyone have any tips? I've never been up that way.
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So we've lucked out the past 2 days with temps not getting out of the 40's during the day and no sun! Just need to hope for the same tomorrow and the cold temps return tomorrow night! The ice should make it! :clap: :thumbsup: :icefish:

onice2013

I agree LM, NO SUN ;D  should be good by end of week but will still use caution.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Took a ride by Glenmere around 2:30 and I found melted white ice and melted black ice with water on top but no open water that I could see. I did not walk on it but it looks as if it help up with all the rain and warm weather we had. Everything should start to tighten back up starting tonight with the cold returning. We should be fishing again by the weekend.

Also, I did not walk on the ice so I do not know if it is safe. I'm going to guess it is not safe just by the way things looked.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Took a ride by Glenmere around 2:30 and I found melted white ice and melted black ice with water on top but no open water that I could see. I did not walk on it but it looks as if it help up with all the rain and warm weather we had. Everything should start to tighten back up starting tonight with the cold returning. We should be fishing again by the weekend.

Also, I did not walk on the ice so I do not know if it is safe. I'm going to guess it is not safe just by the way things looked.
ok thanks for the info! might go check it out towards the end of the week. Hopefully it will be good soon! It is suppose to be in the teens mid next week!

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Does anybody know if there will be a ice fishing contest on glenmere this year?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Does anybody know if there will be a ice fishing contest on glenmere this year?

As of now its the 26th if there's no ice then no contest

onice2013

Agree , I'll wait for winter :o ::) ???

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                           I took a ride with the better half  today around orange & ulster counties today, 
                           most all ponds & lakes were still locked up with ice ... maybe with the colder temps
                           by this weekend we can get out there ...  :) :) :icefish:
images.jpeg

onice2013

Nowhere is safe ice in our area so don't risk falling in and drowning in freezing water ::)

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
As of now its the 26th if there's no ice then no contest
ok thanks! I hope we get safe ice!

Offline ktm115

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey looking to get out on white lake or lake superior this sunday. Any word on how the ice is holding up there? I know temps are supposed to be in our favor this week.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                        welcome to the shantie ktm115 there is alot of info on this site ...
                        with this snow on the ice it is going to be hard for the lakes to freeze
                        & be safe again ... :icefish:

images.jpeg

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
                        welcome to the shantie ktm115 there is alot of info on this site ...
                        with this snow on the ice it is going to be hard for the lakes to freeze
                        & be safe again ... :icefish:
Hopefully the ice becomes safe again quick!

Offline jfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
New to the site, but far from new to Icefishing. Fish mainly northern westchester/Putnam . Live on Mohegan Lake. As far as i can see, not much safe ice out there right now. Hope it tightens up soon  ;D.
Fish like theres no tommorow.

Offline ktm115

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not new to Ice fishing at all just on here to talk to new people and hopefully find new places. Thanks for the Ice info. I'm really itching to get out there this year.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
             welcome to the shantie jfishy... be safe out there...
images.jpeg

Offline maddbmxjumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anyone been past orange lake in the last couple of days? What are my chances of getting on the ice this weekend there? Slim?

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
welcome jfishy!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

onice2013

Today had to be freezing all day up in Sullivan county, even Orange county there was little melt. Tonight will be colder, tomorrow and Friday even colder. Friday's high's will only be in the mid 20s according to Monticello forecast. So far it is looking good and it should freeze hard enough because the ice was still there after the warm spell. Just be extra careful, I'm not reporting safe ice, just think it might be good to go by Saturday with the next couple freezing days.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Today had to be freezing all day up in Sullivan county, even Orange county there was little melt. Tonight will be colder, tomorrow and Friday even colder. Friday's high's will only be in the mid 20s according to Monticello forecast. So far it is looking good and it should freeze hard enough because the ice was still there after the warm spell. Just be extra careful, I'm not reporting safe ice, just think it might be good to go by Saturday with the next couple freezing days.
do u think Friday would be be a go?

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
In Acidalia today we had 4 inches of snow with sleet on top, mild 30 degrees all day. Monday was in the 40s. Watch for soft edges, springs, pressure crack, etc.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
In Acidalia today we had 4 inches of snow with sleet on top, mild 30 degrees all day. Monday was in the 40s. Watch for soft edges, springs, pressure crack, etc.
ok i know its the same conditions here. im only going fishing 10 to 15 feet from shore.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Just posted complete info on ice conditions in Sullivan County from Sunday to today in Reports & Conditions forum.  Basically, managed to get out on Sunday & Tuesday, 4-1/2" of ice both days.  Check out the complete report.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Welcome Jfishy and Kim 115 you have found a great website and this thread contains a lot of useful info. from people located all over S.E.NY. . IceBalls thank you posting Sullivan county conditions I will check out the Report-Conditions NY. community for your post.
  I'm sorry to read of your breaking through the ice ,glad every thing turned out alright. How do you like your floatation suit ?

Hopefully I will get up to Sullivan county on Friday afternoon will post conditions.

Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.