New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096168 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
I've been thinking about that "Ice Fishing Weekend" we discussed, and a few questions came to mind.  I don't think it's too early to begin making plans for something like this if we want to have a really good time!!  Consider the following:

1.  What weekend would be good for everyone?

2.  Which lake?? (My suggestion is Huntington)

3.  Should we keep this just between "us", or should we invite everyone.

4.  Do we need permission from any local officials (Police, F.D., local town officials, etc.) to be on the ice overnight??

5.  Should we all do separate cooking for Sat. nite dinner, or shoudl we do some kind of cooperative thing??

6.  Do we want to have a bonfire on Sat. nite, and do we need permission to do that??

7  Do we want to make this a kind of Mini-Contest Weekend with just some silly "token" prizes for the winners, or is that just a dumb idea??

8  Can anyone think of any important questions that I missed, thqt have to be addressed?

LET'S GET THIS THING MOVING ALONG SO WE CAN ALL HAVE A BLAST!!!

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i'll have to check on the regs....i dont know if over night on huntington is allowed....but i bet it could be done at highland...

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Highland would be good too.......

Let's hear from more of the guys on the other questions and especially the date.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
I do not think I could make the whole weekend possibly one day. What ever lake is chosen should have a good population of fish known to be active at night .(Crappie/Walleye) . Huntington might present a problem with the few houses on the shore. I would suggest Lake Superior in Town of Bethel. We would have to find out about night fishing (county or state facility might not be allowed) ,also do not know if parking area is plowed out in winter, have to walk down hill to access lake might be a problem hauling gear up hill after fishing.
 I have to talk to a fishing partner about trip to Lake Pleasant area in Adirondacks the first or second week in February should be able to fish with all of you on Saturday of either week.
 Any contest can not include cash prizes as per I.S. rules .  We also may need to think about lodging there is a small motel at the intersection of route 17b and route52 in Fosterdale (near Huntington) also Eldred preserve on route 55 (Near Lake Superior on the way to Highland for some of us).
 If my experience with gatherings is any indication I would not expect a large crowd.
 Steve

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
I agree Steve...not many people are hardcore enough to stay on the lake and fish a whole weekend.....but, if we do an overnight type of event..maybe we should do an afternoon start with the overnight and then fish the morning bite......I'm in, regardless of whether its Highland or Huntington....I usually get a 1 day license though...would have to look into other options....I would have to say probably late January to early February would be the best time frame.  No contests are really necessary, just a get together with everyone and have a good time and catch alot of fish !   we would have enough time to fish different areas of the lake...some on one side, some on the other ....

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
I like your thinking Topher if most of us got there around noon we could cut holes and set up then move away from the area the noise from all the activity may spook fish. We could have a group meal ,bs while watching for flags. I know on some lakes there is a late afternoon high activity period with certain species of fish. Chain Pickerel seem to turn on an hour or two before dark. Also your idea would let us fish the late afternoon/early eve. bite plus the following mornings sunrise bite. If enough people have two way radios splitting into smaller groups is a great idea can cover more water and report to others if one area seems to be the hot spot.
 For Topher's and others info. at the top of the NY.general board is a new York news&info. thread it contains a link to the NY.D.E.C. website which should have licence options.
 One question that just came to me would this be a family outing (some kids might make it through the night) or just adult. I will keep checking this thread for future developments.
 Steve                    I just looked at the D.E.C.'s website non resident licences are $15/one day, $35/seven day,$70/one year.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
a late afternoon start would be best, then fish into the night, then up for the morning bite. sounds like a plan!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hi Steve;  I've seen Superior in the Winter.....I would not relish a walk either up or down that hill from the parking lot. 
Seems like we've got some interest in an overnight, so let's try to get it together.  When I mentioned a contest, I meant something more fun than serious competition.  Absolutely NO MONEY involved, just "silly" prizes (for example, I have a "Big Mouth Billy Bass" that I would donate to the winner, with an appropriate inscription).  Anyway, just a thought to make things interesting.
As far as accomodations are concerned.....my thought was to stay out on the ice overnight (never done that before).  But, if anyone wants to "run home to Mommy" at night, the Fosterdale Motor Lodge is a nice place to stay (been there, done that).
I can ask my friend John (Squidboy) to check out the situation at Sand Beach Bar for access to Highland Lk. ( he lives in Yulan, abt 15 mins. away), and about any problems staying out overnight.  Highland is probably the best place because of the parking issue.
I'm thinking about the weekend of January 29/30 or February 5/6.....how does that sit with you guys???
We have plenty of time to work out the details, but we've got to get started sometime.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
IceBalls (Roger) I'm the same as you never tried an overnight. I work in retail so getting a weekend off can be tricky but whatever date is best for the majority would try to make it to event. Also think there is a Billy Bass somewhere in my basement .(don't known why my parents ever thought i would want one) The Fosterdale Motor Lodge is a nice place stayed there once.
 As I mentioned in a previous post have to talk to a fishing buddy about an Adirondack trip he is currently out of the area ,will call him when he gets back in middle of month. I have never been to Highland is there someplace to get breakfast near by in the morning?
 We should check with the D.E.C. and local govt. officials before getting to far into planing ,might get conflicting information. I know lake Huntington is in the Town of Cocethton think Highland is Lumberland or Highland. The D.E.C. might say no problem but respective towns might have their own regulations. I'm assuming members will bring different food items for Saturday nights dinner and snacking should possibly have a list of who plans to bring what once we have more concrete plans.
Steve

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
we could do breakfast on the ice.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
we could do breakfast on the ice.
have i ever mentioned that i wrote and recorded a " beers just not fer breakfest " song.... ;) ;D this sleep out / hardwater trip idea is a good one.... fellas i know pete the sand beach bar owner...i'll see what he says about our plan.... :)

Offline reelaction

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bronx , NY
yea rodger its danny i will give you a call this weekend or when im free ..dieing for ice me and anthony  ..anthony stocked up on a bunch of things this year .talk to you soon

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Steve:  Highland Lake is located just about 5 minutes outside of a local town, and there's a restaurant in town (just don't know what time they open in the AM).....BUT....  I like Pooleys idea of breakfast on the ice....can just smell that Bacon / Sausages / Eggs cooking in the brisk morning air .... Yummy !!!

Joe:  OK...check with your buddy at the Sand Beach bar.  He might know some town officials who can clear us to spend the night on the ice.  I'm pretty sure that there are guys who fish Highland at night regularly for Crappies, and nobody bothers them.  We could offer Sand Beach a nominal fee to park our cars there overnight if that's what it takes to seal the deal. 

By the way..bait could be a problem.  The local bait guy (Gary) passed away and the business is closed.  Nearest bait shop I know of is in Barryville (about 1/2 hour from the lake).  Eldred Preserve is a little closer, but I don't know if they sell bait.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
bait wont be a problem...toms in narrowsburg...or hunters galley in hamlin ....plus theres sams and maybles in port jervis...and a new one on rt 97 near barryville......pete the sand bar owner is cool hes the one that opens the bar fer the ice tourney in feb that me and topher hit...i'm sure he can help...

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think the thing that concerns us most is that some Town official might object to us spending the night.  We have to clear that up for sure before we can proceed with plans.
Also thinkwe should ABSOLUTELY require that there be a MINIMUM  of six (6) inches of ice before we bring a large group out there.  Just being safety conscious.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
As Joe said, bait won't be a problem...I have plenty at my disposal as well......speaking of which, if you can't get large shiners, Gander by where I work has some beauties!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
I'm going to be in Sullivan county latter today into tommorrow afternoon . Driving west on route17b from Monticello Raceway you pass two places that sell bait Monticello Home and Garden and Granny's suppermarket. I will stop at both and get winter hours of operation and phone numbers. Joe when you talk to the Sand Bar owner see if he has to get any type of permit to hold the tourney, the town could also have some type of laws about noise are there houses occupied year round close to lake. I agree with Roger on the ice thickness ,town may also require some base thickness.
 Topher's post reminded me i was at gander Mountian in Middletown Thursday afternoon they had hand augers and a few shelters stacked in the bait shop area.
 Just remembered there is a bait-tackle shop in Rock Hill (exit 109 ) called Sport Nuts .
 Steve

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
aside from the DEC thingy....i think we can get around the legal stuff....Pete's kinda the "unofficial " mayor of highland ;) and the m ridge hunting club guys can fill me in on a permit thingy... ;D

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i cant find find one thing about a permit needed anywhere....so its prob. just a ask pete what locals who own around the lake think abut it... :-\

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Invite them locals out on the ice to join us in a few brrews & brats !!!

A hot bowl of Chili should get them on our side pretty quick !!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think the first weekend in Feb is Sand Bar's first tournament, followed the next week by the Topher/Holehawg tournament......if we do Highland, we may want to consider the last weekend in January

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Rodger, what days will you be at the Ice Show in Syracuse?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Just for everyone knowledge I stop in the two places mentioned in my last post here are their respective hours of operation and phone numbers.
                   Monticello Farm Home & Garden (845-794-6459) Mon-Sat. 8am-5pm, Sun.9am-3pm
                    Granny's super market  (845-583-3884) Mon.-Fri. 7am-9pm ,Sat.-Sun.8am-9pm
 I would call either store to check on how much bait they have on hand especially if we have a mild Dec. and early Jan.  .
   Drove to Highland Lake Friday Afternoon if we could use the Sand Bar's parking lot would have easy access to the lake. There is a Peck's super market by traffic light where you turn off of route 55 in Eldred to head for Highland Lake so we could pick up any last minute or forgotten items (hopefully) .
  Also in other fishing related news on way back from Highland Lake stopped at Toronto Reservoir access area at end of Muscoe road in Town Of Bethel. The water level has been raised at this time you do not need to make long portage to put in boat or walk this winter to get to ice. Just be careful in the winter as there is an inlet stream by parking area ice maybe thinner.
  Steve

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just for everyone knowledge I stop in the two places mentioned in my last post here are their respective hours of operation and phone numbers.
                   Monticello Farm Home & Garden (845-794-6459) Mon-Sat. 8am-5pm, Sun.9am-3pm
                    Granny's super market  (845-583-3884) Mon.-Fri. 7am-9pm ,Sat.-Sun.8am-9pm
 I would call either store to check on how much bait they have on hand especially if we have a mild Dec. and early Jan.  .
   Drove to Highland Lake Friday Afternoon if we could us e the Sand Bar's parking lot would have easy access to the lake. There is a Peck's super market by traffic light where you turn off of route 55 in Eldred to head for Highland Lake so we could pick up any last minute or forgotten items (hopefully) .
  Also in other fishing related news on way back from Highland Lake stopped at Toronto Reservoir access area at end of Muscoe road in Town Of Bethel. The water level has been raised at this time you do not need to make long portage to put in boat or walk this winter to get to ice. Just be careful in the winter as there is an inlet stream by parking area ice maybe thinner.
  Steve

They always end up lowering Toronto for the winter.....

you forgot to post what they said about parking permission....

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Topher I did not stop at the Sand Beach Bar if that is the parking you are referring to, the lot at Toronto holds maybe ten vehicles possibly less with boat trailers.
  I never thought about a winter draw down was just shocked to see water at a higher level after years of looking at reservoir bottom.
Steve

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
lmao...steve the pecks manager is a buddy of mine...jeff the gumby man...lol...say my name and the fravs will follow...lol...bait will not be a problem as topher and i can cover that...as far as parking...the mills family is close with me so we can park there if need...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
we can always get bait too.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Joe....did you ask your buddy at Sand Bar about parking in their lot??  That would be our easiest access tothe lake, and safest parking area.

By the way....."Topher/Holehawg Tournament"?????   Can we all get in on that???  Or is it just for Bragging Rights between you two????   LOL

Got my IS flag.....got to figure out a good mounting method on the Jet Sled. 

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Joe....did you ask your buddy at Sand Bar about parking in their lot??  That would be our easiest access tothe lake, and safest parking area.

By the way....."Topher/Holehawg Tournament"?????   Can we all get in on that???  Or is it just for Bragging Rights between you two????   LOL

Got my IS flag.....got to figure out a good mounting method on the Jet Sled. 

Rodger, that where I first met ya...the Sandbar Ice fishing tournament.....we hope that we can get everyone in on it...met ShawnM and Lonewolf and a couple other Shanty members there last year

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
The town of Highland,NY. website says there is public access to Highland Lake does anyone know where the access site is located?
    www.townofhighlandny.com   click on Community in list on left side of home page.

Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.