New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096077 times)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
we closed up shop at 2 this afternoon...the normally 35 minute ride home took about an hour...shoveled the walk at 4ish...last hour and a half, 2" on top of the 8" so far.....looks like a day off tomorrow if this keeps up like they say it is going to...

Offline Son of Duke

• IceShanty Rookie
  • American With Pride
not too bad here yet, i'm just going to push a shovel before the real accumulation forecasted  for tonight..  a few inches of heavy slush still sucks..can't imagine any chance for this weekend in  these regions  gl and be extra careful on melting ice

I live around white lake and I'm kinda new to ice fishing and i wanted to know how much snow the ice can hold. Someone told me it weighs a lot and could make the ice dangerous.

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf

I live around white lake and I'm kinda new to ice fishing and i wanted to know how much snow the ice can hold. Someone told me it weighs a lot and could make the ice dangerous.
yeah water and slush weigh alot on melting ice.. i wouldn't trust anything under 6 inches with alot of water ontop (2inches or more) besides that, if you do not have an ice float safety suite or ice picks, i'd stay off especially if you are alone.
lonelywolf lol

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
yeah water and slush weigh alot on melting ice.. i wouldn't trust anything under 6 inches with alot of water ontop (2inches or more) besides that, if you do not have an ice float safety suite or ice picks, i'd stay off especially if you are alone.

i was kinda worried around here with all the weight even though there is a lot of ice out there.  i hope the rain stays away

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
how's the snow situation down that way guys??? we finally reach a foot...just today...

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i'd say we got around another ft...still snowing here...my snow banks from snow blowing are around 3ft high now...we havnt had this type of storm in years..... ::)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
we are still waiting for a plow to come through...haven't seen one since the salt truck went through at 7AM...

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
how's the snow situation down that way guys??? we finally reach a foot...just today...

we have 2 foot plus the snow from the other day my yard is 3 ft deep almost

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i dont think i'll be fishing sunday paul...lol...i cant even get to the bird feeder..... ;)

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular

how much snow do you have up there?

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
how much snow do you have up there?

couple feet, at least...

Offline YO1157

• Team IceShanty Regular
dang snow...... >:( >:( >:(...
I hear ya Joe,tired of shoveling

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Holehawg, is your snowblower self propelled?, it might be your ticket out onto the lake   ;)

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
who's going ice fishing, i'm done shoveling! ;D
lonelywolf lol

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just got power back after 24 hours without it! Hopefully the place will warm up now! Lost alot of food in the fridge!

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just got power back after 24 hours without it! Hopefully the place will warm up now! Lost alot of food in the fridge!
my power is still out--28-30 inches of (no fishing) snow, Also lost food but saved the beer!!!!!!!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
We will need extensions on our augers!

I have a 55 gallon drum in the yard for burning papers and it is buried completely! Well over my belt everywhere and the banks from plowing are around 8 feet high. They just finally plowed my road this morning at around 8 AM. I can see my F 250 in the driveway but the Honda is gone and so is my back.

Been here in Sullivan county 58 years and never saw one like this EVER! We got 16 inches on Tuesday, 30+ inches on Thursday and then another foot yesterday.

If we get a couple days of warm rain now I'll probably get a free vacation in Florida because the stream by the house will float my dead arse all the way there.

I think fishing is done for a while unless some other strange weather event happens to fix the top side of the ice.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Big.Tom.G

• IceShanty Rookie
I got close to 3 feet here on the Newburgh/Montgomery border, the truck is free but the car may be gone forever...dont even know where to start looking for it...LMAO.  Was planning a trip up to GSL, dont know how much they got there.  And dont know if I feel like shoveling thru 3 feet of snow to get to the ice...sux.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
this snow is a pain all over.... ;) ;D i'm gonna be drinking yings all weekend ...no fishing til the 3 ft plus goes away.... ;D >:(

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
that really isn't a bad thing is it??  ;D

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
We will need extensions on our augers!

I have a 55 gallon drum in the yard for burning papers and it is buried completely! Well over my belt everywhere and the banks from plowing are around 8 feet high. They just finally plowed my road this morning at around 8 AM. I can see my F 250 in the driveway but the Honda is gone and so is my back.

Been here in Sullivan county 58 years and never saw one like this EVER! We got 16 inches on Tuesday, 30+ inches on Thursday and then another foot yesterday.

If we get a couple days of warm rain now I'll probably get a free vacation in Florida because the stream by the house will float my dead arse all the way there.

I think fishing is done for a while unless some other strange weather event happens to fix the top side of the ice.

Gary No doubt about this weathe causing flooding conditions or at least high stage flows, the sun and 50 degrees here,the snow is melting very fast, i doubt any icefishing is easy even if easy parking access was available. Let us hope another artic blast locks it up after this good thaw
lonelywolf lol

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
With 18" of slush under 48" of snow On 26" of ice....I think I may have to concede my wife's point ......

"Your going out Ice fishing?"    "Your Nuts!"

Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
"HONEY....  Have you seen my chest waders?"
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
nasty down here, with lots of trees and wires down.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
dang snow ruined everything ::).....on a lighter note...i'm almost tiddly slushie drunk.... ;) ;D....

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
dang snow ruined everything ::).....on a lighter note...i'm almost tiddly slushie drunk.... ;) ;D....

I just tried some of the Pickled Pickerel me and MTBUSH caught at the Highland derby. Safe to say it is pretty good but I am Pickled! ;D

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
is anybody going to the ice fishing contest at sacandaga next weekend  ??? ??? :tipup:
images.jpeg

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
I just tried some of the Pickled Pickerel me and MTBUSH caught at the Highland derby. Safe to say it is pretty good but I am Pickled! ;D

Gary
haha, i love my pickled beets/ cucs/peppers/veggies.. the closest i came to pickled fish was a canned sardines  ;D i'm sure the picked a pike a pickled pickerel picked well :o ;)
lonelywolf lol

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
is anybody going to the ice fishing contest at sacandaga next weekend  ??? ??? :tipup:
I want to go where ever the ice is safe and when the weather is worth coordinating an outting.  That would be some run for me, I do not know that water, is it good fishing these days?
lonelywolf lol

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
i am going to find try to get out some where this week in sullivan co  :tipup:
images.jpeg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.