The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: whos going to be at the gorge this weekend?  (Read 40067 times)

Offline fishley

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: whos going to be at the gorge this weekend?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 29, 2008, 10:40 PM »
lol     had a guy do that to me and my dad last year and started pulling fish (rainbows) out left and right....of course.

dont you think 50yd or so is good hell i run an x-15 with 4000w power i would think the interferance he was getin would have drove him nuts guess he didnt know what he was lookin at I wont even get with in 30yd of guys iam with guess we all look at thing different :-[ hope swim aint a city sat would like to catch some fish

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #61 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:38 AM »
Here is a picture of the 43lber

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #62 on: Jan 30, 2008, 09:58 AM »
dang skippy

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 30, 2008, 02:17 PM »
thats a pig for sure!

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 30, 2008, 03:14 PM »
Nice fish guys. Definetly a wall hanger.

Offline Bigred1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 30, 2008, 05:31 PM »
Exceeeeeeeeeeeeelent my friend and congrats.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #66 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:27 PM »
dont you think 50yd or so is good hell i run an x-15 with 4000w power i would think the interferance he was getin would have drove him nuts guess he didnt know what he was lookin at I wont even get with in 30yd of guys iam with guess we all look at thing different :-[ hope swim aint a city sat would like to catch some fish

ya 50 yards is about the minimum...lol. but that's a good distance away.

What a fish! One day maybe....one day
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline fishley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 30, 2008, 08:55 PM »
Here is a picture of the 43lber
(Image removed from quote.)

dang thats a fatty looks like my 44lber on the wall got to love them 40+s looks like anvil to me out off the point in about 98-102ft we have got several; over 30 but none that big this yr try again sat

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 30, 2008, 11:45 PM »
i'm headin to anvil tomarrow! i got a 40lb er in my sights!lol  ;D ;D

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #69 on: Jan 31, 2008, 10:35 AM »
Moski, did you get a new Yukon ice shack? (I saw it in the Yellow Freight truck the other day)

Offline BUCK1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:46 PM »
Nice fish man.  That is a HAWG!
"Fish on Brother!"

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #71 on: Jan 31, 2008, 08:09 PM »
i'm headin to anvil tomarrow! i got a 40lb er in my sights!lol  ;D ;D
I have a question for all the super-mac catchers:   Could a 3" sized chunk of sucker meat just dangling all by itself at the end of a tip up, such as at Anvil catch a big fish?  Meaning: does the bait have to be moving to get them to strike?
Having become an accomplished rainbow catcher, and with big fishes also near where I am now,and the Narrows (the big flat) having the big ones, if I put a big ol hunk of meat on a hook and strong line and left it sit, would there be any chance of anything but a ling going for it?
WYIfish nuttin' better to do!
Thread killer

Offline ShortRod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:04 PM »
Been hearing about it for a week!!! Congrats, figured it was you!  Should take up the whole wall.

Its not the size of your rod, its how you jig it!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:06 PM »

Having become an accomplished rainbow catcher, ..........
I thought I better add a picture so we don't get me confused with those that bs about catching fish :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I would like to catch a larger fish on a tip up, like a 10 pound bow or a larger mack.
WYIfish    no peticular reason sometimes.
Thread killer

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:07 PM »
Moski, did you get a new Yukon ice shack? (I saw it in the Yellow Freight truck the other day)
yes i did and i LOVE it!

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:15 PM »
I have a question for all the super-mac catchers:   Could a 3" sized chunk of sucker meat just dangling all by itself at the end of a tip up, such as at Anvil catch a big fish?  Meaning: does the bait have to be moving to get them to strike?
Having become an accomplished rainbow catcher, and with big fishes also near where I am now,and the Narrows (the big flat) having the big ones, if I put a big ol hunk of meat on a hook and strong line and left it sit, would there be any chance of anything but a ling going for it?
i sure if a hungry pig wanted it he would take it but i've noticed jigging it works better for strikes. i've had a jig with sucker meat just danglin there for a while and the minute i start to jig it they strike it, i think the jigging stimulates there strike better! ;)

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:22 PM »
oh yea, no 40lber today just a few dinks maybe 2lbs!

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:29 PM »
I agree with moski , macks bite better if you give it some movement . Bows & burbot can be caught with it just sitting . Well my plans fell thru so not looking like I will be on the Gorge this weekend . Maybe a day trip saturday .
Utah Ice

Offline fishley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 31, 2008, 10:24 PM »
I agree with moski , macks bite better if you give it some movement . Bows & burbot can be caught with it just sitting . Well my plans fell thru so not looking like I will be on the Gorge this weekend . Maybe a day trip saturday .

well i would question that set a jig in a bucket of water with a stick holdin it up and watch how much it moves after a few min thats only in a bucket think what the currant is doin in 80-120ft of water next to the river channel? but i have only lucked in to one or to lakers so iam abad judge what is with the sucker meat to guys bad bad bad.........lol ;D

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #79 on: Jan 31, 2008, 10:36 PM »
WOW what a beautiful fish! Congrats! :clap: Can you say what the fish was caught on or do you want to keep that quite?
Also BottomDweller are you saying what you caught your fish on? If you guys are keeping it a secret I understand. I don't really fish for them but I have caught some pretty nice ones at Ft Peck on little minnows in fairly shallow water say 30'. 

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 01, 2008, 12:46 AM »
well i would question that set a jig in a bucket of water with a stick holdin it up and watch how much it moves after a few min thats only in a bucket think what the currant is doin in 80-120ft of water next to the river channel? but i have only lucked in to one or to lakers so iam abad judge what is with the sucker meat to guys bad bad bad.........lol ;D
well i would suggest you tryin that bad bad sucker meat and seein if ya cant make your one or two a four or five...with a little jiggle! :D

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #81 on: Feb 01, 2008, 07:11 AM »
I have a question for all the super-mac catchers:   Could a 3" sized chunk of sucker meat just dangling all by itself at the end of a tip up, such as at Anvil catch a big fish?...

the answer to your question is an emphatic yes.  but don't hang it in the middle of the water column; put it on the very bottom, with your bail open and your brake tightened to the point where it will let out line freely but won't keep spinning out line if nothing is pulling on it.  that way a fish can pick it up off of bottom and run with it, then get it deep enough in his gullet for you to set the hook.  if you want to cancel out the ling, just put it deeper then where the ling usually feed at, and there are sure to be some lakers down there.  a lot of oldtimers i know use this method only, and don't jig at all.  something important to remember is not to just hook the suckermeat on, but thread the line through and then tie the hook on, so it is a solid unit.  this is called deadbaiting.  i don't really use it that often because, while it is successful, it kills a lot of fish, because the hook invariably ends up in the fish's gut.  and despite what you might hear about hooks rusting out over time in the stomach of the fish, leaving the fish as healthy as a whistle, i believe the survival rate of a fish with a big treble hook in its stomach is extremely low, and most of the hooks people use nowadays are made of specially-coated alloys and metals that will not rust quickly.

did you catch the 43 lber, or was it someone you were with, or what?

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #82 on: Feb 01, 2008, 07:12 AM »
...Also BottomDweller are you saying what you caught your fish on? If you guys are keeping it a secret I understand. I don't really fish for them but I have caught some pretty nice ones at Ft Peck on little minnows in fairly shallow water say 30'. 

bouncing the bottom with a tube-jig with suckermeat, my friend.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Feb 01, 2008, 07:40 AM »
the answer to your question is an emphatic yes.   
It weren't me that catched any big fishes, a reference to the one in the recent picture posted of the monster from Anvil.
I think I shall put one tip up out on the 65 ft bench adjacent to the 111 foot channel and see how many bottom feeding ling I get before I can choke a big mack. 
You are very correct, that idea of a fish doing well with a big hook left in his stomach is probably a myth started to get more catch and release.   :embarassed: if the fish dies, oops, he gets ate by a scavenger, more food for other fishes, if he survives, win-win.  I do not throw back fish that are seriously damaged or deeply hooked if at all possible meaning regulations are the governing factor.
Part two:  can I catch a large mack on a tip up even?  30 LB thick braided line, 8 LB flurocarbon leader of 6'....maybe if I don't run out of line (200 yds) and play for an hour or two before bringing one in to the hole. Humm, maybe I stick to setting up a deadbait rod instead, that drag might come in real handy :embarassed:
Best,
WYIfish         ....to stink up the neighbors pesky cat with fresh fish gut smell.
Thread killer

Offline fishley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 01, 2008, 10:07 AM »
well i would suggest you tryin that bad bad sucker meat and seein if ya cant make your one or two a four or five...with a little jiggle! :D

if i use meat its on the pups, it screws up the presentation of my swim baits and it even screws up a tube jig if i ever do use meat on the big boys i will only use a strip about2''long 1/4 wide then i will hook it on then put my tube over it  with the meat stickin out the tail ,try it it works then that junk aint stickin out screwin up the presintation how about a slite lift rather than a jiggle trust me i catch hundreds of big lakers a yr icein and boatin and never JIGGLE IT OR JIGIT iam tryin to be a dead or diein fish not a spastick jerkin minnow

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #85 on: Feb 01, 2008, 11:12 AM »
I didn't catch that fish guys,
It was a fellow fishing with a friend of mine, he told me he was using a jig with a bullhead minnow.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 01, 2008, 11:21 AM »
It was a fellow fishing with a friend of mine, he told me he was using a jig with a bullhead minnow.

I do believe that is illegal. The bullhead part. :o :o

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Feb 01, 2008, 11:24 AM »

I have a question for you guys that fish the gorge. Are there bullheads in the gorge already?

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #88 on: Feb 01, 2008, 11:29 AM »
It's actually a sculpin minnow, they just call them bullheads here.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Feb 01, 2008, 11:31 AM »
It's actually a sculpin minnow, they just call them bullheads here.

OK thats cool.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.