The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Favorite Gun  (Read 20922 times)

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Favorite Gun
« on: Jan 19, 2007, 06:29 PM »
...to carry on the ice, mostly because on Boysen, before I ice-fish, I walk up this draw on the way in and shoot 2-3 bunnies (yum!)...then I dress 'em out while I watch the tipups. The .22 is for bunnies, but the sidearm I carry is a colt, nickle-plated model 1911 super .38 automatic, with gold-plated hammer, trigger, etc, w/bone grips. Sweeeet gun, deadly accurate. The gun was left to my wife in an estate. Much as she loves her .270 for deer and elk, the only sidearm she carries is a .38 snubby she carried on the job. When she got the Colt, she shrugged her shoulders and handed to me, "If you like it, it's yours."     :roflmao:  Yesssssssss...course I carry it everywhere even if I'm not ice-fishing...but then, we are in Wyoming, aren't we??? So what's yours? Or...why not?
                                                LT  ;D :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Favorite Gun
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:53 PM »
Remind me not to approach you on the ice ;D no I take my .22 out with me just in case I catch one of them water babies out of boysen ;D (old Indian tale) and for bunnies!!!!!!
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:15 PM »
.454 Casull, just in case?

Ben
benwyo

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:37 PM »
...always...just in case. I very nearly got killed 3 am outside Paris Texas several years ago, returning home..gang-thing, you know flash your brights to get them to dim theirs, then you become the initiation-target.  :woot: Dodged that one even though I was unarmed, swore never again. What I do NOT want on my tombstone is, "Here lies Don who brought a knife to a gunfight". Here I'm more concerned about mt lions and always lookin' fer coyotes!
                                                    LT  ;D

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:51 PM »

Ben
benwyo
     Nice weapon, "just in case" of nearly anything!  ;D

Offline icepimps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:57 PM »
were you shooting around muddy today? we were hearing gunshots somewhere around us. is it legal to shoot in the state park? i have seen guys shooting ducks on the river below the dam and by the tunnels. i did not think you could do that. how are you cooking those rabbits?

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2007, 10:15 PM »
were you shooting around muddy today? we were hearing gunshots somewhere around us. is it legal to shoot in the state park? i have seen guys shooting ducks on the river below the dam and by the tunnels. i did not think you could do that. how are you cooking those rabbits?
     If you're asking the LT, nope, I'm housebound, recovering from surgery. Yep, it's legal to shoot at Boysen, but when I do it, it's only for bunnies (and then only back in the desert, never near where there are fishermen) or shooting at coyotes. There's also a state requiremenmt to obey all hunting and safety regulations. What you saw on the river with the ducks sounds like something less than ethical/legal for several reasons.   ???  Cooking: The bunnies are boned, then stewed for 4-5 hours in a brown gravy mix in a crockpot. The gravy from that goes over rice or mashed potatoes and it is to die for! And welcome to the neatest spot on IceShanty...
                                                                   LT ;D

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2007, 10:47 PM »
Remind me not to approach you on the ice ;D no I take my .22 out with me just in case I catch one of them water babies out of boysen ;D (old Indian tale) and for bunnies!!!!!!
     And exactly what is a "water-baby" mister 4X4 ?  And why are you still mistreating yer pickup???
                                                           :roflmao:

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2007, 10:48 PM »

Nice little friend to have, use mine for archery hunting.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2007, 10:56 PM »

Nice little friend to have, use mine for archery hunting.

Sweet...we're not allowed a sidearm while archery hunting in Wyoming. That'll probably change right after one of us is ripped to pieces by a bear or mountain lion  :woot:

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2007, 12:35 AM »
water babies is old Indian legend that the women of the tribe would drown the babies and their spirits would come out of the water at night!!! thats what I get for growing up on a rez. as for my truck no i am not abusing him just driving it............. ::)
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2007, 01:54 PM »
Who needs a firearm I will just fish around you guys and you can be my personal body guards. Sometimes I pack mostly road trips!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2007, 03:19 PM »
You got it buddy, we'll protect you from those vicious   >:D  attack-bunnies! hee-hee...
                                                   ex-elTeeeeeeeeeee  :roflmao:

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:05 PM »
 Ex-lt........ a nickel colt in 38 super :o :o WOW nice inheritance!
You might want to research the value, before you put anymore wear on it.

As for me.......1911 .45......springfield mil.-spec....with over 800 bucks in custom parts. Got it on the cheap, from a guy who had to get the rest of his teeth pulled and dentures built ;D
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:24 PM »
Yeah, it was a huge surprise to me when I picked it up for her, but she was totally ho-hum about it.   :whistle:  It'll never go anywhere else in my lifetime, but someone who knows a lot about that model speculated in the 3-4k range...wouldn't matter, not fer sale. My kid gets it when I pass over.  :angel
     1911 .45 that's a sweet gun, we carried those when I was Air Force OSI Agent...chopped-down version, strictly for close deadly-force encounters. I wish you'd have hit that coyote with it...I'd like to know just how that exit woulda looked.
    BTW, I qualified with the super .38 (Right to Carry/Peace Officers Protection Act) over at the SO in Sublette County. At 25 yards, you could have covered the hits with an orange.
    Hey, how'd you do at Muddy?   ;D

Offline madpistoleer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:35 PM »
T/C Encore Pistol. Custom Heavy Barrel chambered in 30-06 Springfield 16" 1/8 long with muzzle tamer. Burris
2-7 power posi lock Scope. Its alot of fun to shoot and deadly accurate. I shot a spike with it this past year.
Remember! 'I' before 'E' (Except in Budweiser).

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:22 PM »
NIce sidearm for grumpy  >:(  black bears too ! And a "muzzle-tamer" is a muzzle brake?

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2007, 08:16 PM »
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2007, 08:19 PM »
WOW there it is, took all day and got extremely pissed...........pulle d in my 13 yr old step daughter, she had it in about 2 minutes ::) ::) ::)
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2007, 08:24 PM »
You mean the pic posting Doggbiter?  ;D nice piece.
                                               LT :tipup:

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2007, 08:29 PM »
pic posting kicked my arse, thank god for kids ;D
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2007, 10:23 PM »
 Come on you guys!........let's keep this thread going! ;D
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline hammerhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2007, 03:58 AM »
357 stainless steel Ruger Blackhawk, 6" bbl. I hunt my bunnies with this one and routinely make headshots with it at ranges that make my jaw drop. Shoot light bullet low velocity handloads.

Why is everybodies favorite a handgun even here in old Wyoming? You would think everybody would be talking about their loudenboomer whizbang elk guns.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:21 AM »
The thread started out with your "favorite sidearm to carry on the ice" and why, but if you wanna go there, we the armed and dangerous, are more than willing, if I had to choose one rifle out of my gun cabinet, it would be my Remington 30.06, model 700 with Burris 3X9 posi-lock scope. For thick brush country where the shots are under 25 yards amd it's densely inhabited by grizz, I'm toting the Marlin 45-70 lever action, iron sights, with 405 grain loads.  :woot: Guns are like sex, you can get worked up just talking about it!!!!! WHOOPS!! Can I say "sex" on this site  :woot: ?

LT   ;D 

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2007, 11:09 AM »
357 stainless steel Ruger Blackhawk, 6" bbl. I hunt my bunnies with this one and routinely make headshots with it at ranges that make my jaw drop. Shoot light bullet low velocity handloads.

Why is everybodies favorite a handgun even here in old Wyoming? You would think everybody would be talking about their loudenboomer whizbang elk guns.
     Heavy artillery aside, Hammerhead, I now leave the .22 rifle w/scope at home and carry a recently-purchased S&W .22 A-1 auto pistol, stainless w/ 6 inch bull barrel. I can drive tacks with it. In case of something unexpected, other than bunnies, there's always the Beretta Tomcat auto in my pocket. Ooooooh, I love living in Wyoming!  ;D

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2007, 11:14 AM »
44 MAG RUGER BLACKHAWK 3 SCREW

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2007, 05:28 PM »
I take my Howa 270 with me just about any place I go. If the fishen stinks I just find some rocks and blast away. Sometimes I forget it, or I don't have any room for it and a dumb yote will run, or walk by and laugh at me for forgeting. :-[

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2007, 05:46 PM »
I take my Howa 270 with me just about any place I go. If the fishen stinks I just find some rocks and blast away. Sometimes I forget it, or I don't have any room for it and a dumb yote will run, or walk by and laugh at me for forgeting. :-[

It's great have the rights to pack anything you want.  I just feel sorry for the poor sob that trys to take that away from me.

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2007, 06:02 PM »
Hmmmm..me too, but that attempt is probably more of a possibility now than ever before  ??? I think, in Canada it went something like, "We need a list of all your firearms." Then when the citizens gave it, the next request was to "Turn them in." Or is my memory bad?     :wacko:    I know my attitude certainly is.  :whistle:

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2007, 06:11 PM »
They passed the concealed carry law here in Minnesota a couple years back, problem is, everywhere you go, they have a sign on their door prohibiting concealed weaponns on their premesis.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.