The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Favorite Gun  (Read 20920 times)

Offline tomb

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Favorite Gun
« Reply #60 on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:25 PM »
        Have to say it is the pre 64" winchester model 70 in .270. Killed alot of game here in Wyo.
Matt

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #61 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:01 PM »

I would have to say that they screwed up on that one.  Barrett Firearms of Tennessee has the M82A1 50 semi auto.  They should have supported the home team.  I will add that they don't sell to law enforcement in states that don't allow civilians to own 50's.  These are good old boy trying to protect out rights.  They have huge government contracts and are supplying our troops over in sandville
     I think I saw the internet videos of that rifle in action...kinda blew the bad-guys right outta their nests...I mean like blew 'em fifty yards or so? Oh yeah!  :thumbsup:
                                                                      LT

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #62 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:13 PM »
 I have a video(on favorites), of shooting Tali's in the mtn.s of afghanistan with a big 50. If you have a stomach, and despise the r.agheads...THIS is a must see! ;D
 If you can tell me how to link it I will.

Reminds me of shooting prairie-dogs with my 223...40grainers at 3850fps or the 22-250 with 45ers at 4000 ;D
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:16 PM »
Winchester 88  ;D ;D
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #64 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:26 PM »
  Model 88 is that the old lever that had an automatic sister? If so I would almost give my left nut, for one of those in 284. My dad had the auto in 284 but got rid of it, I believe it didn't always function correct.......and he still made money on it.

But the lever is an eternally sought after classic! That any man would be lucky to own.
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:49 PM »
I have a video(on favorites), of shooting Tali's in the mtn.s of afghanistan with a big 50. If you have a stomach, and despise the r.agheads...THIS is a must see! ;D
 If you can tell me how to link it I will.

Reminds me of shooting prairie-dogs with my 223...40grainers at 3850fps or the 22-250 with 45ers at 4000 ;D
    Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about! Yeeeee-haw!  :roflmao:

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #66 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:13 PM »
http://www.funny-spot.com/html/USA-Sniper-Gun.html

Sorry guys didn't know how to make it a link, daughter says that you will have to Hi-light it then take it to your address bar. ::)

Be warned it is the real-deal............and I love it ;D
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:26 PM »
It's not my imagination right? The impact throws what's left of them about fifty feet?
Wow!        :woot:         
                                                 el-Teeee/GF/IS/WY  ;D             

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #68 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:32 PM »
It's not my imagination right? The impact throws what's left of them about fifty feet?
Wow!        :woot:         
                                                 el-Teeee/GF/IS/WY  ;D             
No imagination involved........this video shows parts of them going MUCH farther than 50yds.....it's unreal

Please tell me if you found it, and what you think ;D
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:34 PM »
One o' my personal favorites.
                                             el-Teeeee

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:47 PM »
That is some crazy s**t snipers rock

USA              USA                 USA                  USA                       USA

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:26 PM »
S&W airlite 357 hammerless snubby.
Small.  Simple.  Point and click.  Goes bang! 
Not good for anything over 10', but hey, it's light.  Load it and double the weight.

Offline hammerhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 25, 2007, 06:48 AM »
No,  Lt not a pro carpenter, although since I've retired I've kept pretty busy fixing up derelict houses. It's just a CB handle my dad used years ago, he had a huge hammer collection. I thought maybe Lt was from Viet Nam, I haven't heard it used since then. I guess it stands to reason that GI's brought it home and the term stuck in some organisations.

Thanks for the welcome, I really like the hometown Wyoming aspect of this site, and there's a wealth of knowledge to be had on the other parts of the site.

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #73 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:30 AM »

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:47 AM »
ANyone catch that recent footage from Afghanistan where the guys are shooting with their .50 semiautos? that was on CNN! Hey, people, there are folks DYING at the other end of that shot. That doesnt break my heart but I was surprised to see the blondie smiling and joking over it.

My dad had a winchester 100 in .308. It got recalled for some reason or another. I am not really a gun nut, but I love to hunt.  carry whatever is appropriate for whatever is in season.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:48 AM »
  Model 88 is that the old lever that had an automatic sister? If so I would almost give my left nut, for one of those in 284. My dad had the auto in 284 but got rid of it, I believe it didn't always function correct.......and he still made money on it.

But the lever is an eternally sought after classic! That any man would be lucky to own.
Doggbiter...That's the one .I bought it in 1972 I believe and I bought it with an extra clip which guys tell me  is almost as valuable as the gun.
 I have it in 308 cal. and have a Leuopold 3x9 on it.I have killed over 30 deer with it and just love the way that it handles.
 One of the guys that used to hunt with us had it in 284 but he is no longer hunting with us. I see them in gun shows a lot . My buddies girl friend picked one up for his birthday. She paid almost a thousand for it I believe.

Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:46 AM »
ANyone catch that recent footage from Afghanistan where the guys are shooting with their .50 semiautos? that was on CNN! Hey, people, there are folks DYING at the other end of that shot. That doesnt break my heart but I was surprised to see the blondie smiling and joking over it.

My dad had a winchester 100 in .308. It got recalled for some reason or another. I am not really a gun nut, but I love to hunt.  carry whatever is appropriate for whatever is in season.
     Good point about the "laughing blondie". Thing is, this is war and I'm glad our guys have the technology to reach out and touch the tali's from a distance. But the mindset should be the frigid and skilled code of the military sniper, "One shot, one kill". As a story goes, a Marine sniper was being interviewed by that very news agency and the lady asked him, "What do you feel when you touch off and shoot a Tali?" He thought for a moment and then replied, "Recoil."   :pinch:
     Should be simply a clinical, "Now he won't kill any of our boys or murder any civilians." Personally, being the Father of a career-Marine Gunny, I'll be relieved when our kids come home from sandville. But reducing what is really justifiable homicide to its lowest common denominator, one-on-one confrontation anytime, anywhere...one man pointing a firearm at another with ..."intent to injure or cause great bodily harm..." Every man must decide for himself what he will do in that deadly force encounter. Same is true in war. The options are precious few and none are actually palatable. Just one ole guy's opinion and I'm sure there are those who see it another way. War and law enforcement are a vanishing memory in the rearview mirror of my life; my guns are now for hunting.
                                                   el-Teeee  ;D

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #77 on: Jan 25, 2007, 10:00 AM »
here's a shot of my old SKS in action; i modified it to accept hi-capacity mags and installed a nice, light pistol-grip stock:

...and this is the coyote that i called up the hill with a rabbit call into about 10 yrds...  shoulda had my bow:

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 25, 2007, 11:33 AM »
Oh look! ...a good 'yote!  ;D

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 25, 2007, 11:59 AM »
....Smith & Wesson Model 27 5"...... .357

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Jan 25, 2007, 12:38 PM »
The "Highway Patrolman"?  .357 on .44 frame? ;D

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is the sport of drowning worms
« Reply #81 on: Jan 25, 2007, 03:36 PM »
my favorite rifle would have to be my .270 winchester. i have killed alot of animals with it but this would have to be the best so far.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Jan 25, 2007, 04:31 PM »
I applied for a elk tag for net year, I cant wait. I have a 270 Rem700 SPS. ALso a T/C Omega but I plan on using the .270.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #83 on: Jan 25, 2007, 06:28 PM »
        Have to say it is the pre 64" winchester model 70 in .270. Killed alot of game here in Wyo.

I have a pre 64 win model 70 30-06 featherweight.  I love that rifle.  My second favorite is my wildcat 6mm-06 built on a remington 1917 action with a Warner Varminter stock and a 6-24 Sightron scope.  Excellent varmint rifle.

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #84 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:34 PM »
WOW ex-LT this favorite rifle thing has really gone well. I love to archery hunt, but I have taken a good number of critters with a rifle, About 25 years ago I was looking for a new hunting rifle I wanted either a 06 or 270 my father in-law had a gun dealers license and was at a Gun show picked up five  270 whtby mag.'s ask me if I would take one at 350 greenbacks back then that was allot of money! when I got it from him I saw all that fancy and  high gloss. I though this is a pretty fancy walking stick. So I was going Wyoming sheep hunting and I had a guy sand all that high gloss off and put on a nice dull satin finnish.
 About the last five years when I don't get whatever I am hunting with a bow. I love to take my favorite rifle! lever action model 30-30 iron sites. Here is a couple of animals I got with it.

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #85 on: Jan 25, 2007, 10:36 PM »
 Big-Ice.......WOW nice critters.......D@mn nice 8)

My first deer rifle was a 30-30, at age 10.......first couple years missed several MO. whitey's with it, but man could I sling the lead ;D LOL
 My third season....I started shooting that thing-got 4 that year and the next fall to

Thanks for the photo's gentlemen ;D
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 25, 2007, 10:56 PM »
I think Mr. Doggbiter's idead to keep this thread going was a most excellent one. Look at the great pictures comin' outta the archives! Nice animals all!  ;D

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #87 on: Jan 25, 2007, 11:19 PM »
 ex-LT........I be working in your countryside :'(
 We caught a job on top of Beaver-Rim....for god's sake... >:(

Been seeing wild horses, that's pretty cool........and lot's of "milk opal"
I'm a rock-hunter, but I can't see why any engines would have ever camped at beaver rim :(
 Yes I am  RIG-PIG......if you go for a drive, we the only derrick on the rim

Swing by, or maybe come out and steal the battry's off the rig some night :roflmao:

LOL ;D Good lord I hate Beaver-Rim
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline Ocean Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 26, 2007, 01:53 AM »
Well this started off as pistol thing!  So I would have to say, my Glock 10mm.  I like the light weight and easy handling.  Just point and pull the trigger.  My favorite shotgun is my Citori 12 ga.  It usually kills all green!!

Favorite rifle would be a toss up betwwen Knight .54 cal muzzleloader or 300 win mag???

Favorite other weapon, High Country Bow. It gets-r-done too!!

IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b326/Bullhead1/MTwhitetail.jpg[/IMG]

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #89 on: Jan 26, 2007, 06:56 AM »
shot with my mountain gun, the 30-06 a-bolt  -  extremely light gun, perfect for elk and deer hunting where i go:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.