The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: New gear for a New icefishing season  (Read 6355 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New gear for a New icefishing season
« Reply #30 on: Nov 14, 2013, 04:36 PM »
Wyoutdoors you will really like the meatsticks I used one three years ago and now I have 7 total and I like them almost as well as my thore bros 28"power noodle

They feel awesome in my hand and I really like the sanded down tips! Can't wait to get them spooled up and on the ice!

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #31 on: Nov 14, 2013, 05:07 PM »
Never raced another auger doublehaul. I can tell you I've lent it to others on the ice and they have all loved it. It is an 8" bit not a 10". As for the oil issue, pouring the oil out and adding a few ounces once a year is far more preferable to me than having to mix it. I use seafoalm in all my yard equipment and keep one gas container filled with fresh fuel. If I happen to run out of fuel when out of town it's an easy fix with a quick trip to town. Plus, everyone loves how much quieter it is than a 2-stroker. The pluses to me far outweigh a few seconds difference in drilling a hole. Have you been on ice yet?

When I drill 100+ holes a day, speed is my biggest concern.  Just been taking inventory of my lures and customizing some tipups in my spare time.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 14, 2013, 05:12 PM »
Thanks fellas, for some reason the gun case skipped my brain, I had one and its perfect, just saved me from dropping 90 bucks on the clam unit!
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 14, 2013, 05:33 PM »
JIFFY model 30 all my years ice fishing .. have used newer ones i.e. Eskimo ( which was phenomenal! ) propane jiffy 4, ION electric and my grandfathers strike master .. but all in all the sound when it switches from low to high and look of the original model 30 is in my veins!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 14, 2013, 06:18 PM »
I can easily get in 100+ holes too and by noon on some days! If speed drilling was the major determining factor in an auger (for me anyway) and saving time, I'd move closer to the ice, get a bit more sleep, and save on gasoline in the truck as well! ;D

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #35 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:09 PM »
 ;D
So many fish, so little time.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 15, 2013, 08:21 AM »
well broke down and bought 12 more polar tip-ups, 6 each for my daughters to use there own now, probably should start looking at replacing some of mine, only been using them for 22 years now and they still work nicely just some wear and tear from use, and taking them apart each year to re-lube them, but some of the ends on the tubes are coming off and they freeze up every now and then with water getting into them, but love how they still work after so much use.  Now just to buy new line to outfit the new ones, I thought I was done buying new stuff this year with my suit but cannot pass up some deals i guess.

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Nov 15, 2013, 02:37 PM »
Just spent the companies money doing a big order for out sporting good section probably going to bee buying a few things here when the order gets here :tipup:
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline allornothing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 15, 2013, 04:43 PM »
Didn't make any big purchase this year, I got that out of the way last year with an ice 45 hummingbird, Jiffy pro 4 propane and a Clam bigfoot.  So I'm keeping it simple this year with a few lures, unless I see something I have to have...

Offline rks-icer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 15, 2013, 10:16 PM »
I bought some new jigs, a McGill and Wright 50" ice rod and a Lowrance Elite 5 Ice Machine with the GPS loaded with the Hot Maps premium. Now all I need is some ice!

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 16, 2013, 08:40 PM »
I'm going to be in Denver next  week for the wife's drs appointments, I am hoping to stop by cabelas and bass pro and look for some new toys.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #41 on: Nov 17, 2013, 06:06 PM »
I went to Cabelas yesterday to pick up shotgun shells while the waterfowl season lasted. Somehow I passed up buying an auger, a shelter, and a jaw jacker. I don't know how I did it lol but the shelter will be purchased soon enough.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Nov 17, 2013, 08:58 PM »
new Indian Hill traps, and the new Eskimo 949i

Offline Ouzel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 17, 2013, 09:49 PM »
A new Otter pro Large sled ( 84"x 44"x 17") to drag behind the Venture.
Going to have plenty of room for gear for overnighters or extra niceties on day trips. And the price I got it for from Cal-Ranch in Idaho Falls made it a deal that I couldn't pass up. 

Ouzel

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 17, 2013, 09:56 PM »
Tried out a new Eagle Claw inline reel and LOVED it!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 18, 2013, 02:21 PM »
Set up 'The Fort' this afternoon. Took about 20 secs to pop-up the very first time after it was out of the bag, and maybe two minutes to get it back into it and zipped up. Impressed with the whole shelter, the stuff pockets and overhead storage within the shelter.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Nov 18, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Hey allornothing do you like your Bigfoot I also bought one last year and love it all the extra room for my dogs is really nice. As far as this year goes I haven't bought much just a couple meatstiks to try out and restocking my lures and jigs

Offline allornothing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 18, 2013, 07:24 PM »
massNtrash, well to tell you the truth I haven't even gotten to use it yet... bought it towards the end of the ice season last year and it didn't get to me until all the ice was gone, so that was a bummer!  I bought it because my cot will fit in it for some overnight trips I hope to have in the future.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Nov 19, 2013, 04:10 PM »
You will like it they are a nice hut the only thing I don't like about it is the bag that comes with it it seems to big for it. But so far that is my only complaint.

Offline Sixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Nov 20, 2013, 09:16 AM »
I got the Clam Bigfoot last year also, and I am grateful for the oversized bag. I previously had the Eskino 949i and I spent way to much time trying to fit the shelter inside that tiny bag with weak zippers. One of those square peg, round hole deals.
"Of course our rods are short, it's freezing out here!"

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #50 on: Nov 20, 2013, 06:47 PM »
I got the Clam Bigfoot last year also, and I am grateful for the oversized bag. I previously had the Eskino 949i and I spent way to much time trying to fit the shelter inside that tiny bag with weak zippers. One of those square peg, round hole deals.

I was gonna say.....sounds like too big of a bag is exactly what's needed. Cold hands and a shelter that barely fits in a bag usually ends with my throwing things and saying bad words.
Trent Williams

Offline fuzzydriller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Nov 21, 2013, 10:01 AM »
Got a new Eskimo z71 auger can't wait to get it out.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Nov 23, 2013, 08:27 PM »
I pulled the trigger today and picked up a new Marcum LX-7. Playing with it now in the hotel room, can't wait to get home and get out!

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Nov 27, 2013, 07:18 PM »
I have seen some use a gun case, but I do not know how many rods one can get in them.
Otter makes a really nice case that attaches to a bracket on your wheeler or sled
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #54 on: Nov 27, 2013, 09:29 PM »
I'll think I'll buy myself a christmas present on black friday......off the internet.
Trent Williams

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Nov 29, 2013, 03:01 PM »
Grabbed myself up a pair pf Kahtoola MICROspikes and believe they are absolutely the best slip-on traction devices on the ice.

Offline Fishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 29, 2013, 08:02 PM »
I'm still pretty new to ice fishing so have been adding to my gear as much as my wallet will let me. New for me this year:
Jiffy Mille Lacs Deluxce ice chisel, fenwich elitetech icerod 28ML, tica reel, 5 frabil arctic fire tip ups, line for all, a bunch of slender spoons and a couple blade baits. I watch for the ups driver like a hawk these days  ;D
A group of ice fishermen is a chatter or chill, although the term loony is often used, particularly by wives of ice fishermen.

~ Patrick F. McManus in The Grasshopper Trap

Offline tmeyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!!!!
« Reply #57 on: Nov 29, 2013, 08:10 PM »
Grabbed myself up a pair pf Kahtoola MICROspikes and believe they are absolutely the best slip-on traction devices on the ice.

I am curious.  How do those fair as far as staying on your boots?   I had a similar set (not that brand)  and they constantly had to be adjusted to keep from coming off the sides of my boots.
FISH ON!!!!!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Nov 29, 2013, 08:24 PM »

I am curious.  How do those fair as far as staying on your boots?   I had a similar set (not that brand)  and they constantly had to be adjusted to keep from coming off the sides of my boots.
They stay on pretty well. Getting off of the ice can test them a little bit. Still, better than anything else I have tried.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Nov 29, 2013, 09:39 PM »

tmeyer, you can see in the pic the red straps go well over the top of the toe and up high on the heel. The side straps ride pretty high as well. I had no problems getting on or off the ice. This was their first ice trip and they are leaps above the other brands I've had in the past.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.