The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: How thin is too thin? Thin ice experiences?  (Read 7767 times)

Offline toothpickerel

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How thin is too thin? Thin ice experiences?
« Reply #90 on: Dec 22, 2012, 04:11 PM »
im a big guy and ive been out on 4 inches...once, wont do it again, i was safe but i didnt feel safe and it ruined the trip, i like 6+

Offline mashthegas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Dec 22, 2012, 08:32 PM »
good clear ice, 4-6 inches is good but if the ice is white I try to avoid it but if its a foot or so thick my experience has been that 4 or 5 inches under the white is good clear ice so its ok. if the ice is starting to honeycomb its out of the question, a foot isn't safe

Offline Walleywizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:29 PM »
1 1/2 = walking 4-5 =ATV. 10-12 = pickup on good ice. I know this isn't for everyone you must use your own judgement.
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy fishing equipment and that's pretty much the same thing!!!

Fish like no other, so you can catch like no other.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:43 PM »
Here's my strategy for early ice. At first signs of decent early ice, continually strike the ice with your spud as you carefully step out from the shore and proceed across the ice. If the spud goes through on the first strike as you're walking out, take two steps straight back from there, and drill your holes. That being said, I for one am glad it's January.  ;D

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:54 PM »
I know clear ice is the best but last time on glendo it was spooky. The ice was up to my wrist when i pit my hand in a hole but clear like glass and you could see it crack when you walked on it. I was too chicken to cross the narrows.

Offline RoryR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Jan 16, 2013, 11:16 AM »
I would say 2 inches

Offline Wyo82939

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Jan 16, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Many lakes have those warm spots so 4" here might not be 4" there!! Try to be cautious on all of it!!!!   

Offline brownb56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Jan 16, 2013, 06:32 PM »
fished on two inches of ice one time and never again.  if two people got within a few feet of each other the ice started cracking. by mid day the ice started sagging and water was coming over the top of holes.
Teach a man to fish and he will have food for life, teach a woman to fish and he will be happy for life.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.