The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Dear Game and Fish...  (Read 5078 times)

Offline Sixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dear Game and Fish...
« on: Jan 28, 2012, 01:16 AM »
After driving across the state to help eliminate the Burbot problem, I have come to the conclusion there is no problem. After 3 days and a night of fishing I ended up with one bite. My team had 4 burbot total. Sorry, but I think the Burbot problem is not there. It sounded like everybody was having issues as the augers were going all day and night out at Lost Dog. Thankfully my family made it a good time with good conversation and great food. The kids enjoyed it but wished they had caught at least one fish. Looks like we'll stick to our plains lakes from now on, they are stocked well every year. Thanks for the great hospitality Green River. The Hampton Inn here is amazing and even allowed my malamute to stay for free!

Sixxer
"Of course our rods are short, it's freezing out here!"

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
Re: Dear Game and Fish...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Nice to hear you didn't catch anything (in one sense). A lot of the teams who fished last week hammered 'em pretty good. I'm sure they didn't catch every last one of them, and as long as there is even a single burbot in that reservoir... there is a problem.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2012, 01:21 PM »
^^^^yep. I'm sure there were people who hammered them this weekend as well.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline hillbillyhans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:50 PM »
Don't worry sixxer, the Flaming Gorge is just another GREAT ::) Wyoming fishery! Hahaha! Not even the "invasive" species can reproduce enough to make fishing worthwhile at the gorge! I had a guy tell me @ Boysen that the G&F doesn't stock the lake b/c the fish reproduce so well! That's why 30 guys caught 2 fish in two days up there! Wyoming is by far the worst state for hunting and fishing that I have ever lived in! (IA,IL,IN,WI,NE,WY are the states I've lived in)(Also, MN,MO,KS, I have hunted/fished in.)It's funny too b/c it's also the most expensive state as far as hunting/fishing licenses go! Save your money Sixxer, an go enjoy some real fishing in the midwest!
"I throw back the ones I don't eat"

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2012, 10:29 PM »
Don't worry sixxer, the Flaming Gorge is just another GREAT ::) Wyoming fishery! Hahaha! Not even the "invasive" species can reproduce enough to make fishing worthwhile at the gorge! I had a guy tell me @ Boysen that the G&F doesn't stock the lake b/c the fish reproduce so well! That's why 30 guys caught 2 fish in two days up there! Wyoming is by far the worst state for hunting and fishing that I have ever lived in! (IA,IL,IN,WI,NE,WY are the states I've lived in)(Also, MN,MO,KS, I have hunted/fished in.)It's funny too b/c it's also the most expensive state as far as hunting/fishing licenses go! Save your money Sixxer, an go enjoy some real fishing in the midwest!

Go back if you hate it here so bad. Tell your friends how crappy it is here too.

Offline bridger72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2012, 10:45 PM »
Go back if you hate it here so bad.
X2

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2012, 11:30 PM »

zzzzzzzzzzz........ Go back home, or put a little more studytime and work in, and figure it out like the rest of us do.

Offline hillbillyhans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2012, 11:47 PM »
The old "go back home if you don't like it". That attitude is really helping the deer/elk herds as well as the fishing guys! Keep it up, I don't care, this is your state!

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2012, 12:04 AM »
Like previous stated put some work in and figure it out.  I guarantee there was a lot of ling caught in the tourney. The guys that caught them figured it out and know how to catch them. And one of the biggest reasons the fishing is so slow at the gorge right now on the ice is because the of the lack of ice. It has been way over fished. If the ice were further down the lake it would have made things better. We are not tryin to give you the go back home if you don't like it. But we are also tired of hearing the b/s. We all have figured it out and don't hear us complaining.

Offline hillbillyhans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2012, 03:45 AM »
I'm good friends with the team who won 1st place at the bash. I work with 2 of the four every day(and know the father in law as well), and have been hunting/fishing with them on many occasions. We fish the same area, the same way, and we make our own jigs together. 135 fish this year/350 last year by that team. I don't know about "overfished" or crowded, as we didn't see anyone else on the ice where we were(maybe you wiser folks could tell me what you're talking about). I spend allot of time outdoors, I don't need to explain myself. Has anyone who replied to my reply ever fished anywhere not out west? I doubt we would be having this banter if you guys have. Everything is relative to what you know, or what you have experienced. Maybe this is why the wy guys aren't "complaining" (or typing facts on what I have experienced, that's what I thought I was doing)? Anyway, like I said before, it's your guys' state. If you think your wildlife management is great, fine. But I will not wear the blinders, and will tell everyone what I know to be true.

Offline byron basser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:32 AM »
I have fished and hunted in other states. Yes I will continue to go elsewhere but the Wyoming is where I call home and choose to raise my Family. The Wyoming Game and Fish has policies that might not make sense all of the time but they are there for a purpose. They ask for our imput and our help. Think of the invasives that are coming in from other states and areas. Zebra Mussels, Ling down in the Southwest, Walleye dropped of in new waters and everybodys favorite Wolves that the Wyoming Game and Fish have to manage that were brought in by the Federal Gov. Well I  am not a word smith but that is my two cents.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:41 AM »
To answer you question... I've fished SE Kansas hard and in my mind it was fantastic. Crappies under a pound were thrown back, flathead and blue cats under 20 pounds were released back into the river. Sunday mornings returning from the trot lines with 150-200 pounds of fish were common. Strip pits, farm ponds, rivers, lakes and reservoirs were abundant. I could be on 4 bodies of water within 20 minutes of my driveway - AND - be in the water fishing with my truck/trailer parked up the hill.

Table Rock Lake in Missouri/Arkansas, Truman outside of Warsaw, MO, and at least a dozen other "big name" bass fishing waters within three States, I've spoonbilled fished the mighty Missouri River when limits were 2 fish a day for the whole season. We seined and gill netted fish for community fish-frys.

My son noodles big cats and if I get back there during the season with him, we can hand grab catfish in the 40-50 pund range every day, all day.

When we baited up trot lines and limb lines we used 1 pound bullheads and bluegills between 4-6 inches - minimum.

Believe me... I know fish. And it took me quite some time to figure out western fish, and I still have a long way to go. I keep an open mind and my mouth closed. I read the forums and will visit with others on the lake. I make friends with others with the same interest and hopefully am smart enough to pick up on patterns they're using. I've made trips into SD just to meet up with other IS.com members and attempt to meet them on the ice.

I love being on the ice and I love being outdoors and I can tell you, Wyoming isn't the Midwest. The midwest rocks for it's own reasons and I'm certain the successful guys here couldn't hold a candle to myself and my son on a real river bank or largemouth bass impoundment. I can honestly say and believe, no one in Wyoming has caught as many crappie weighing over a pound in a day, for as many days in a row, as I have. Full limits. I see pics of catfish shown proudly here, which were on the small side on my running grounds, but I continue to say, "Nice fish!" because it is a nice fish. 

We fished/hunted Kansas, Missourii, Arkansas and parts of Nebraska/Iowa.

I get skunked quite a bit on Keyhole, but I continue to hammer it in an attempt to figure it out and even sniff the success Cargo has had there. Easy? No. Fun? At times. Some call it the Dead Sea of Wyoming, then you'll see a video with thousands of crappie swimming by. The fish are there, I just cannot catch them. Is it WY G&F's fault? I don't believe so...

I believe your intentions are good and no serious ill-will is meant, but seriously you are coming across in a bad light, and ruffled feathers are firing back instinctively. I sorely miss not being back where I grew up and learned to fish, hunt and trap. Employment, or lack thereof, brought me to Wyoming in '89. I hated it at first but the money was here and I had a wife and three kids to take care of. I still miss my old stomping grounds and being outdoors with family and old friends. But I can tell you, Wyoming is a beautiful and great place. I don't hunt elk, antelope or am a high-end flyfisherman seeking 8" brookies. I miss a lot about my past, but we are here now, and I love Wyoming for what it is, what she offers, and the friends and outdoorsmen I have had the privilege of meeting and sharing my passion for the ice and mountains with.

There is a fine line between critical analysis and downright insulting. One thing you can be certain of from Wyoming people, they do not take kindly to insults about their Great State. They will listen though, and give other opinions thought, but insulting them won't endear you to anyone here.

Best wishes and tight lines to you.

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:07 AM »
Thank you wyoutdoors.

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:21 AM »
I lived in WY for a year or so and had some of my best fishing memories in my life!  If you want to see poor hunting and fishing come to Vermont.......  Still kicking myself for moving back, I guess somepeople just cant stay away from "home"

Offline hillbillyhans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2012, 12:51 PM »
I like what you wrote wyoutdoors. Sounds like you have the same experiences as myself. After 5yrs, I still live here, so as to say I hate the state, the answer is no. People can take what I've said as an insult, I don't care, but it was not meant to be. I speak of reality, and sensitive people don't like it. The wyoming of today is not the wyoming I heard of growing up, and I seriously doubt anyone will argue that.

Offline gillyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2012, 05:12 PM »
Waters are very different in the midwest.  Warmer waters and more productivity.  Wyoming is a headwater state and has fishing opportunities that are different from what are available in the "mid-west".   Stocking fish is not always the answer to "no fish on the ice".
To  criticize management because you caught more of a different species of fish in Kansas is not fair.   
I miss some fishing opportunities from my past in Nebraska, Indiana, and Kentucky.  But those states don't provide much opportunity to catch naturally reproducing trout.   I wouldn't blame the Game and Fish managers there for that, Nebraska does not have the quality of trout water that Wyoming has, with a few exeptions.
You may find that license prices have risen "back home" as well.  Those states also have higher populations of sportsman to draw on, so they can have lower priced licensing.
Just because you have water in Wyoming and Water in Missouri doesn't mean you can have the same expectations in both places.    But we fishermen and hunters think that just because we hold a fishing rod or a rifle we are qualified fish and game biologists.  I use the sink every day with high success....... but it doesn't make me a plumber.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:25 PM »
I will hold my tongue and not say what I wanna say so I will just say this....the midwest doesn't have any elk...and they don't have any mountains so you won't see me living there.

Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, and Lake Trout is what fuels me.....not flat corn lands and a bunch of panfish.

Trent Williams

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:25 PM »
I will hold my tongue and not say what I wanna say so I will just say this....the midwest doesn't have any elk...and they don't have any mountains so you won't see me living there.

Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, and Lake Trout is what fuels me.....not flat corn lands and a bunch of panfish.
Well said Trent!
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:27 PM »
I should add kokanee salmon to that as well :)
Trent Williams

Offline Wind River Kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((^)))*>
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:29 PM »

Spot On  :thumbsup:

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:30 PM »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:55 PM »
I chose to move to Wyoming 30+ years ago from Pa. and I do not regret it for a second. I have hunted and fished in many areas of this GREAT state. There are not many states that you can hunt for antelope, mule deer, whitetail deer, black bear, elk, moose, bison and so much more. Realistically fish for 20,30 and 40+pound lake trout, Every year I see or hear of 10 lb rainbows, 15-17lb browns, 5+ pound brookies that come from the lakes and streams in my backyard. I once caught a kokanee that was within ounces of a state record. No I haven't fished much for bass, pan fish or big cats. I would like to do that someday too. For me, this is home and I'm staying......

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:36 PM »
 :flex:
Trent Williams

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:37 PM »
 :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline hillbillyhans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2012, 03:26 AM »
I too will just bite my tongue. Hopeless for me to even try. You guys sure showed me though(and reconfirmed what I already knew about wy folks).

Offline drocks101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2012, 04:35 AM »
I agree with a lot that has already been stated.  I would much rather live in Wyoming where I can hunt just about anything I want.  Sure you can head to the midwest and have a good chance at shooting a record whitetail, but you are going to have to pay someone to hunt on there land.  Where as here you can hunt white tail, mule deer, elk, all in the same day without ever touching private land.  Also were are all about exploring the land and getting away from people, so it doesn't matter if there is a multitude of lakes within a short drive.

As far as the fishing goes, ya the numbers might be down.  But it has a lot to do with people that think the game and fish isn't doing their job and they take it into there own hands. For example from what i understand the Gorge used to produce some really nice rainbows, but since the burbot are taking over the lake their numbers have declined.  This year is a especially bad year because of the high water from this past summer.  All of the high water flooded the bank vegetation allowing the baitfish number to increase and thus the predatory fish have plenty to eat so they don't need our lures.  I fish the boysen derby this weekend and we marked a 5 to 10 feet deep section of baitfish under our hole.  For me Wyoming is the place I like and will continue to like.
Weekend Warrior

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:10 AM »
You guys sure showed me though(and reconfirmed what I already knew about wy folks).

and what is it you have learned about WY folks???
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:24 AM »

and what is it you have learned about WY folks???

I was wondering the same thing, cause I can only imagine.

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:47 AM »
Sixxer;

There's this old saying bout ice fishing......    The best times for ice fishing are: " First ice and last ice"   The rest of the season it's just a matter of finding them and realizing that there is a small window of a bite every day.  I have found that to be very true over the last few years.  I fish Boysen every year for the first two weeks and then quit at it turns into the dead sea.   The walleyes and crappie are there for the taking the first week or so.  Then as most know, it gets tough.  Especially when the lake is in a down cycle of perch production.  That is just the way it is, and you learn to accept it.   After Boysens' first week then it's a couple of weeks of Ocean lake, and then essentially the same thing.  Wait for the last ice of the season, and hope you can still get on it to fish.  There are still some fish to be had, but it slows down considerably.   February fishing for me is usually heading up to the mtns for trout.  Then even that gets slow into late February.   So what do ya do?????   Blaming the game and fish doesn't help.  as they cannot make the fish bite.  They manage the fisheries the best that they can with the funds they have available.   Is it perfect??  Heavens no, but in a state with only 400,000 people, where do they get the funding when only 25% percent or so actually spend monies on licenses,  etc.  There isn't much one can do at this time, but I believe I will wait for late ice and start catching fish again.   Hopefully you will be able too.

good fishing

laters

the cator
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline cantfishenough

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:19 AM »
I grew up "dipping" for smelt on the St. Clair river in Michigan. Caught hundreds of fish with each dip. Loads of succes, wash tubs full of fish - no challenge. Had to learn to fish when I came to Wyoming 30 yrs ago. When the good days come there is much more personal satisfaction. Succes is not always in a full bucket. Sometimes the "hunt" is all that matters. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.