The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Glendo  (Read 5243 times)

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Glendo
« Reply #30 on: Nov 13, 2010, 01:39 AM »
i cant frigging wait!!!  Was so stoked to see icicles hanging off of the restaurant tonight!! SOON!!!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 13, 2010, 11:43 AM »
Went thru Glendo late last night... too... dark... to... see... argh!

Offline wyomingchad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 15, 2010, 01:21 PM »
Water levels this year will be way higher than last year.  As of 11/14 the water level was at an elevation 4613.3.  This time last year it was at 4597.3.  So it is 16 feet higher already this year.  Should be lots of fish to catch!!!!

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 15, 2010, 04:08 PM »
I hope it is. 

So who logged in and changed your signature the other day?

Someone with an axe to grind...

Probably had it coming but now he is ahead. ;)

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 17, 2010, 08:28 PM »
Heard elkhorn is 40 degrees and farther south it is roughly 8 degrees warmer.
Don

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 17, 2010, 10:18 PM »
Come through Glendo last night and a Dragging Equipment Detector (BNSF) called out 26 degrees down near Cassa Rd.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 27, 2010, 12:33 PM »
No pictures this time, but I seen 3 boat trailers out at Reno and one boat driving around Muddy bay, BUT Elk Horn looks to be covered with ice out to the canyons and some of the small coves are starting to skim over. 

it won't be long.
Don

Offline sgpitman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 27, 2010, 04:27 PM »
Hey guys I'm new to the area. Just moved to glenrock from ohio and looking to do some ice fishing. I don't inow anything about this lake but I think its the closest to my house. I can't pm but ide love to tag along. I've heard that most lakes have springs in them. Don't know if its true or not so I don't know what area are safe. I love to ice fish and sure wouldn't mind some company on the ice.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 27, 2010, 04:30 PM »
What days do you have off to go fishing,  I am looking to hit glendo alot this year.  And I am right on the way to there for you.  However your about dead center between glendo and alcova, just depends on what your looking to catch?
Don

Offline sgpitman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 27, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Well. I have a real flexible schedule. I run my own business, well me and fiance, but the only days I have to work are sat morn. And tues. I love to fish, any kind of fishing. I don't eat fish so ill fish for anything from dink gills to monster carp.

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Nov 27, 2010, 05:05 PM »
Hey guys I'm new to the area. Just moved to glenrock from ohio and looking to do some ice fishing. I don't inow anything about this lake but I think its the closest to my house. I can't pm but ide love to tag along. I've heard that most lakes have springs in them. Don't know if its true or not so I don't know what area are safe. I love to ice fish and sure wouldn't mind some company on the ice.

Just keep posting.  A few more posts and you will soon be able to send and receive pm's.  It's ice time now, but the Platte River around Casper is world class for fly fishing (or spin casting) for trout.  I'm sure the trout fishing is good now too.  If you hunt, Wyoming is great for that, too.

Before long, you will be able to send pictures of your fishing adventures back to your friends in Ohio and they will drool with envy.

Good fishing,

Keith

Offline sgpitman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 27, 2010, 05:12 PM »
I love to hunt. Killed my first antelope and sent pics back of it. I have a ton of mulies that live by the feed sted at work so I sent picks of those to. This state is for sportsman that's for sure. The fishing in ohio may have been better but the hunting here blows ohio away.

Offline sgpitman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 27, 2010, 05:20 PM »
So what kind of rods do you guys use for walleye fishing and what kind of ice line do you all use?

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Nov 27, 2010, 05:27 PM »
I love to hunt. Killed my first antelope and sent pics back of it. I have a ton of mulies that live by the feed sted at work so I sent picks of those to. This state is for sportsman that's for sure. The fishing in ohio may have been better but the hunting here blows ohio away.

Tough to try to compete with Lake Erie, but you will find some new fishing experiences in your new home state not available in Ohio - Just wait until you fish in flooded cottonwood trees for walleye that think they are largemouth bass!  Then in the late fall, the water is 60 vertical feet lower and a half mile from those same trees, only to refill in the spring to renew the whole cycle.

Good fishing,
Keith

Offline sgpitman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 27, 2010, 05:39 PM »
Speaking of new things, what's a ling and how do I catch 1? I'm sure I'll love it out here. I love to ice fish mor e then anything and the season in ohio runs from sometime in jan. To sometime in feb. If your lucky. I remember back to back years without ice. I fished the river a couple times this year and got my first trout on a fly rod. That was fun but in ohio I lived in an area called portage lakes. It gave me about 8 lakes to fish all within 5-10 mins from my house. That's what I miss most

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 27, 2010, 05:59 PM »
I have yet to get a fly rod.  I just love my spinning gear.
Don

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #46 on: Nov 27, 2010, 06:12 PM »
To answer some Q's.

Walleye rods - Favorite is a 28" medium action st. croix.

Line - 6 or 8 lb fireline micro-ice crystal. P-line flourocarbon too. These are my personal favorites.

Ling has other names like eelpout, burbot, lawyer, etc. Best way to go after them is jigging large buckshot spoons tipped with sucker meat and pounding the bottom with it. The flaming gorge guys can give you good pointers on them.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 27, 2010, 08:22 PM »
Where in Ohio. I grew in Hamilton which is outside of Cincy

Offline sgpitman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Nov 28, 2010, 12:23 AM »
I'm from akron. Just south of Cleveland.

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Nov 28, 2010, 07:15 AM »
We were in Akron two years ago for the Firefighter Combat Challenge. I had never been to Akron before that. It was nice.

Offline sgpitman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Nov 28, 2010, 10:13 AM »
Ok guys, I'm gonna head out to glendo. Ibe never been there so I'm gonna drive up and toll around. I'll let u all know how it looks

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Nov 28, 2010, 04:25 PM »
just got back from glendo,  I am pretty sure elk horn will be fishable very soon,
Don

Offline sgpitman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Nov 28, 2010, 06:29 PM »
Thanks again jopes, he met me up there and showed me around. He also gave me 1 heck of a lesson in fishing life in wyoming. Good to know you gotta pay to play. Never paid to go into a state park. Rule on minnies are nuts out here and no one sells maggots?  Best ice bait ever. Beautiful park though and standing on that ice realy has me going now. Thanks again jopes, looking forward to fishing with u guys.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Nov 29, 2010, 01:33 PM »
Moose, one thing I have noticed out here is when it gets 40 degrees out it it late afternoon most days, then a few hours later the sun is gone and it drops again.  ;)
Don

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:15 PM »
just seen the forecast changed to -3 tonight for Douglas. 
Don

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 16, 2010, 02:05 PM »
Wow, what crappy weather,  But with the cold swing I decided to take a drive to Glendo today.   

Elk horn is still iced up.  Out by Red Canyon going towards the south looked like it had opened because it had no snow on it that we got yesterday. 

Air port is about 30% or so covered with ice, coming back on I-80 I was able to see ice which looks from all the way back in Muddy out to Goose island and possibly starting to freeze up heading down south of airport. 

I do beleive it is ready to ice up, just need a cold blast to seal the deal.
Don

Offline ratfink1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep some, eat some, and let some go!
« Reply #56 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:22 PM »
jopes dose it mean something

Offline ratfink1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:25 PM »
Ive been trying to catch eyes there through the ice for years I just know how to catch them there

Offline ratfink1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 16, 2010, 08:11 PM »
Can we get live minnows in glendo

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 16, 2010, 08:23 PM »
Ive been trying to catch eyes there through the ice for years I just know how to catch them there

I have not been very sucessful for walleye @ glendo on the hard water.  I fish for other things that bite a little more and if a walleye eats my jig then so be it.

As for minnows, Curlys in Douglas has then, as does the Trading post and Howards in Glendo
Don

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.