The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Spring loaded tip-up?  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
Spring loaded tip-up?
« on: Nov 18, 2010, 11:09 AM »
I found this website that sells spring loaded tip-ups. I was wondering if any of you guys have something like this or if it's even legal here. Sounds like they really work. check it out.......www.hooksett ipup.com
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Spring loaded tip-up?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2010, 11:16 AM »
Farmer I make a hookset tip-up that uses the bent rod as the setting device- it only costs a few dollars to make and a few simple tools. they work real well for trout haven't tried them on anything else yet.
if theres enough interest I'll post some picks(when I figure out how) and a list of tools and materials.

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2010, 11:21 AM »
That would be great fishsmith! windriverkid is the one who turned me onto the idea. and with a suposed 85% better catch rate i think it would be worth the bucks. i'll pm ya my email is that would be easyier for ya. thanks a bunch!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2010, 02:08 PM »
I am making something similar this year, I just picked up 4 more rods for this season
Don

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2010, 02:14 PM »
Im just glad that it isn't illegal to use this kind of contaption. (as far as i know). looking forward to building something. :)

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2010, 02:23 PM »
I am making something similar this year, I just picked up 4 more rods for this season

Hey Jopes I make my rods for them out of the numerouse ultra-lights my kids break.

Offline wyoming_man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2010, 04:52 PM »
Hey Jopes I make my rods for them out of the numerouse ultra-lights my kids break.

I hear you there fishsmith!  With 3 little boys we go through a rod or two!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2010, 05:08 PM »

It is a good idea, but I don't break that many rods.  :)
Don

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2010, 06:39 PM »
My kids seem to average 2 per year. Small price to pay to have them out fishing!

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2010, 12:02 AM »
Yep that is where I am at... made 3 stiffer longer rods just in case I get to chase some bigger fish!
They aren't pretty but here they are...

Get the kids fishing!!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2010, 06:10 PM »
Doh! I looked at the picture three times before I see it isn't a nice table in an ice shanty! Geeze, shanty on the brain.
Thread killer

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2010, 08:56 PM »
Geez WYI.....you're getting as bad as me! I'm actually starting to have nightmares about there not being any ice this winter!   :o

Offline FireonIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2010, 10:05 AM »
I just made my annual trek to Scheels.  They had the hook set tip-ups on the shelf.  I have been doing allot of research into these and they appear to be everything that the advertisements and video exclaimed.  So I purchased two and will give them a shot as soon as we can get on the ice.  They seem to be a quality build and are very heavy duty.  I will let you know if the whole 85% is realistic.  :tipup: ;D
Bojo

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2010, 10:18 AM »
Hey thatd be great fireonice! i'm still gonna try and build something (a farmer can fix or build anything is what ive heard) but would buy a couple just to have.

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2010, 11:11 AM »
Hey thatd be great fireonice! i'm still gonna try and build something (a farmer can fix or build anything is what ive heard) but would buy a couple just to have.
Mornin Wyomingfarmer, If you can find a good picture of the automatic fisherman that is what I based my tip-ups on. For the trigger bar I just used 3/16 cold rolled round stock then cut a grade 8 5/16 washer in 1/2 for the line guide at the end of the trigger bar. the trigger bar is about 8" long with the 1/2 washer brazed at one end-
then braze(or weld) a small hinge to the other end. Three inches from the washer drill a 1/16 hole that will be vertical with the 1/2 washer facing up-then braze a 3/4 "long piece of 1/16 in the hole you just drilled with 9/16 or so facing up. Bend this 1/16 piece back in the direction of the hinge at app.a 45% angle( you have to play with this angle as it determines the sensitivity of the trigger)I then build the main body of the tip-up out of 4" X3/4 pine or whatever I have handy.

I don't think I had a 85% hookup ratio but i wasn't using a slip bobber beetween the 1st and second rod eyes up from the reel.this gives the fish about a foot or so to run. I believe that it will have pretty close to that hook-set ratio if rigged that way.

I'll post those picks as soon as my oldest comes home for Turkey day.
Sure hope this helps!

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2010, 03:51 PM »
Sounds like it works fish....not that you didn't do a good job of explaining the set up but i'm more of a visual person. it will come in handy though when i go to fabricaitn' the thing. hey no problem on the pics, still just a skiff everywhere i look. below zero by tuesday here in riv. though!

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2010, 04:56 PM »
Mornin Wyomingfarmer, If you can find a good picture of the automatic fisherman that is what I based my tip-ups on. For the trigger bar I just used 3/16 cold rolled round stock then cut a grade 8 5/16 washer in 1/2 for the line guide at the end of the trigger bar. the trigger bar is about 8" long with the 1/2 washer brazed at one end-
then braze(or weld) a small hinge to the other end. Three inches from the washer drill a 1/16 hole that will be vertical with the 1/2 washer facing up-then braze a 3/4 "long piece of 1/16 in the hole you just drilled with 9/16 or so facing up. Bend this 1/16 piece back in the direction of the hinge at app.a 45% angle( you have to play with this angle as it determines the sensitivity of the trigger)I then build the main body of the tip-up out of 4" X3/4 pine or whatever I have handy.

I don't think I had a 85% hookup ratio but i wasn't using a slip bobber beetween the 1st and second rod eyes up from the reel.this gives the fish about a foot or so to run. I believe that it will have pretty close to that hook-set ratio if rigged that way.

I'll post those picks as soon as my oldest comes home for Turkey day.
Sure hope this helps!

Here is a few pics of the tipup I took today.
http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa431/jlrodebaugh/

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.