The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Crystal/Granite/North Crow  (Read 11637 times)

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Crystal/Granite/North Crow
« Reply #30 on: Feb 19, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Now thats what i am talking about!!  Landed 15 Rainbows (10"-16") between 10 and 230 today.  All on the jig rod.  One took the worm on a tip up.  Awesome day, great weather, beautiful scenery!  Cheers,Chris

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 21, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Went up to Granite for 2 hours this afternoon, almost got stuck. There is a foot of snow up there, with the road in only single wide and still pretty deep. The bad news is the snow is melting on the ice and making it super slushy. There is still a foot or so of good ice but if that snow doesn't blow away it's going to ruin the ice. The fishing was poor too, only got one rainbow, had a few lookers including a big sucker and a perch. Also watch where you go because some open water has refrozen and will not be thick enough to support weight. Bring good boots because you will get wet, even after jumping over the edges.

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here kitty kitty kitty.
« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2010, 07:47 PM »
Any size to the perch? 
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 21, 2010, 10:26 PM »
Guessing 8-10" for the perch, not bad size for granite. He was eyein' my 3.5 inch tube jig, I was hopin' he would take it.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 23, 2010, 05:35 PM »
For anyone considering driving into N. Crow i would advise against it until the snow melts a little.  Got my 4wd suburban stuck back there this morning, and if it werent for the chance utility guy w/winch on his truck, i might still be stuck back there.  We did rally though (had my 3.5yr old son w/me) and came back into town and caught a stockie raninbow on his new "jolly roger" beaverdam.  Tight Lines all! Chris

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 23, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Sorry man, I figured you could make it, thanks for the update though.

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 23, 2010, 06:51 PM »
Guessing 8-10" for the perch, not bad size for granite. He was eyein' my 3.5 inch tube jig, I was hopin' he would take it.

Ya my buddy caught a huge perch out of there last year...  I just wish they were thicker in there.  Even if you could catch 6-7"ers you can get a bite off ea. side of em. (fillets).  It is tough to do but once you get it down not so bad.  I would love it.

Might have to spend some time fishing the res in my tube - see if I can find any #'s.  It is just such a pain to weed through so many stocker trout.  :o :o  Even if you just fish on the bottom... that is all you catch really. :'(

I cursed this entire region.(Hattie, Crystal, Granite) Looks like as soon as I showed up to Laramie the perch fishing went down hill.  Just my kinda luck.  ;)  Then as soon as I realize there are tons of nice perch in sloans... They drain it.   :'(

"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:03 PM »
327, no worries man. Not your fault.  Once i started down the road i started second guessing (but didnt want to stop to make up my mind for fear of getting stuck!)  I would guess after a couple of nice days it should melt down and be fine.  Tight Lines.Chris

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 23, 2010, 10:01 PM »
Moose,
When I catch 7-8 inch perch I just deep fry the whole fish and flake the meat off of the bone, you actually can get quite a bit off there. I prefer catching perch that are 10 inches plus but it's been tough the last couple years. Don't worry Sloans will bounce back quick, and we will be catching nice perch there next winter(and this summer with my fly rod).

On a side note, I spent a lot of time chasing perch at Granite last season and only managed two days with more than a half dozen, most were too small to eat though.

Offline bottleslinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:14 PM »
Does anyone know of any place to get blades sharpened in Cheyenne?

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:59 PM »
i researched it and found noone here in town.  Apparantly there is someone in Laramie that does it, and if you pm fishaholicz he can prob point you in the right direction.  Cheers,Chris

Offline JackofallFish7

• IceShanty Rookie
  • School sucks, I'm goin' fishin'!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 26, 2010, 11:56 AM »
I gotta work this afternoon, i'll grab those numbers for the sharpener while i'm there. (work at the flystore we have business cards for two guys that'll sharpen it)
There is a fine line between ice fishing and just standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 26, 2010, 12:12 PM »
That would be awesome - Thanks.

It is good to have a flystore guy on here ;D
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Feb 26, 2010, 12:16 PM »
I am going to try and make it in to Crow on Sunday anybody been in in the last couple days?
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline bottleslinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 26, 2010, 08:42 PM »
You guys are great, thanks!  I am going to try to hit Granite this weekend, which of the three is having the best luck?

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 26, 2010, 11:58 PM »
I made it to Granite today for about an hour and a half, caught 3 bows. Ice is holding up well except for the edges. Much better than last weekend though. The road to Crow looked a lot better too but I didn't go down it. I could see open water on Crystal but didn't drive over there, should still be plenty of ice there too. Granite is still snow covered but not slushy like last week, it's frozen up good.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 27, 2010, 01:24 AM »
nice, glad to hear it.  Ive gotta get out to Granite sometime before the season ends.  Might get up there before work this week for a few hours.  I just got a bunch of new jigs from jammin' jigs that i cant wait to use a N.Crow next week! 

Offline bottleslinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 27, 2010, 05:54 PM »
Sounds great, was planning on heading up tomorrow, may only be able to get out to Absarraca now though.  I was wondering about the ice but have seen folks out all week.

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Mar 01, 2010, 05:35 AM »
I was up at granite this weekend just driving by.And the ice is sketchy! Guys were out but not every where. lol

Where the creek comes in I saw a lot of guts and gills from nice fish. Somebody wasted a nice trout also >:(. But there are fish to be caught there if you want to fish soft water. Bring the best casting rod u got and fish the edges of the ice. Did hear of a 4 lber getting caught off the boat launch Sat..
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Mar 01, 2010, 10:14 AM »
thanks for the update taz.  I really want to get a few hrs in tom am before work and am trying to decide where.......

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 03, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Just got home after 4 hours at Granite. Ice is holding up but varies a lot, 8-16 inches depending on where you are. The ice by the dam is the best.  Watched many trout and 2 small perch as they bumped or swam by my jigs only to ignore me. Tried different depths, everything, just couldn't make them bite.

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 03, 2010, 03:08 PM »
Thanks for the update man - Especially the tid-bit about perch.

"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Mar 03, 2010, 09:54 PM »
going to N. Crow on fri, sat....Have next thurs off as well, i hope the ice holds one more week!!

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Mar 07, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Hit Crow with Cb today. We didn't kill them but I got a greyling :tipup: My son had a blast and caught a couple fish on his own!

Thanks again Chris you ROCK!!!!
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #54 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:31 PM »
NICE! Just one or did you catch more?
Tu ne cede malis

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:34 PM »
Just the one greyling I think I had another couple bite on a certain jig but can't be sure...
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Mar 07, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Awesome day!  Weather couldnt have been nicer and it was ice having the kids out on the ice!  Great day for all!!  Glad to hang with you and Daniel Taz. 

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 07, 2010, 10:22 PM »
How big do the splake get in North crow?
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #58 on: Mar 07, 2010, 11:02 PM »
What exactly did this "certain jig" look like???? LOL!

Gonna have to hit that lake in the summer, or at least the ponds below it so i can get into some of them. Love catchin new fish.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Mar 08, 2010, 08:19 AM »
Looks like you guys had fun, how was the ice?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.