The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Glendo  (Read 54184 times)

Offline Pokefishin66

• IceShanty Rookie
Glendo
« on: Nov 19, 2009, 05:16 PM »
never fished glendo through the ice before..  Any pointers? 

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Glendo
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2009, 07:00 PM »
I have fished it twice with no prevail. It seems as if I can only catch trout.

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2009, 07:07 PM »
my friend said he caught a trouit out of glendo but I thought he was full of it.
bring planks if you want to get on the ice at glendo.

Offline eyeaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Slab Stalker 307
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2009, 07:45 PM »
Ive always wanted to go down there to but everyone says the same thing the ice on the shore line sucks, because the water level changes allot. Yet i know people do well jigging with spoons for walleye and big cats. :)
Great thing about ice fishing is, if the fish don't bite at least you know the "BEER" will stay cold!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2009, 09:05 AM »
Planks?....I'm not saying I haven't done it, but that sounds a little sketchy.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:38 PM »
It is pretty spooky. What I meant on the the trout comment was that I have never caught anything at glendo because there is very few trout. And the only thing i can catch is trout. I would love to find some perch and walleye and I haven't found them yet.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2009, 11:02 PM »
can someone clue the newbie in a bit more about the planks for Glendo?    Is it like open water along the shore, or ice is just too thin to hold body weight?

Don

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2009, 04:05 AM »
The water level changes quite a bit. There is usually still water flow into glendo so there is water from the shore line to safe ice. It is pretty spooky.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2009, 10:56 AM »
how long of a plank is typically needed?  4ft?  12 ft?

you just leave the planks there till you come back or you take them with you when you go out to fish?
Don

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2009, 05:26 PM »
A 6 Or 8 is enough but i would take it with me so no one snags it and you have no way of getting back.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2009, 03:02 PM »
I've always gotten by with some 5 ft long ATV ramps. I have run my ATV on and had the ice crack away a bit, not good considering I was probably over 8' of water by that time. When it's sketchy like that, leave the ATV on the shore.

When it gets really cold, it's not a big deal. You don't even need a ramp then.

As far as where to fish or what to use, it's best by the dam or along the wall across from Reno boat ramp early on. Jig and a minnow or just a jigging Rap for eyes.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2009, 08:02 PM »
whats the typical distance from the parking lot to fishing spots?  I am ATV and Snowmobile-less, so I will be hoofing it on foot.  Not that it bothers me, I can use the exercise of walking. 
Don

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2009, 08:31 PM »
whats the typical distance from the parking lot to fishing spots?  I am ATV and Snowmobile-less, so I will be hoofing it on foot.  Not that it bothers me, I can use the exercise of walking. 
yeah, i'm married too! LOL  :tipup:

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2009, 11:31 PM »

mine likes fishing as well, and is wanting to go ice fishing again.  On the bright side, that means she wants a heater and shanty to stay warm.   :D
Don

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2009, 11:32 PM »

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2009, 04:10 PM »
Talking about taking the women fishing. I have a funny story. To start off we both had walkies talkies. I left the nice warm shanty where she was sleeping. I went out to check tip-ups. Checked all of them with no prevail. So to past some time I went over to a couple fisherman that were probably 100 yard away. I was chatting about what they were using and all of that good stuff. So probably 45 min pass and I hear something come over the walky. It was the girl friend. Keep in mind it was the first time she has been ice fishing. So i asked what was going on hoping for the reply there is a tip up that went off. Instead i hear babe i am scared can you come back to the hut. I said why are you scared. She says the ice is cracking i think that i am going to fall through. I was embarrassed because every guy in this group stopped what they were doing to laugh their butts off. All at the same time i had to laugh because we were on 12 inches of good ice. Sorry about getting off track of the thread but i had to share my embarrassing moment so that every one could get a good laugh.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2009, 11:22 PM »

It's about a hundred yards from the south end of the dam down to the water. Steep coming back though. Most guys who fish the wall across from the Reno ramp park at the Reno ramp and it's probably a quarter mile across to where you fish. Not bad at all unless you want to scout around a bit. There's usually pressure ridges that limit ATV travel from Reno around to Whiskey or the Marina/dam area.

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2009, 09:59 AM »
It's about a hundred yards from the south end of the dam down to the water. Steep coming back though. Most guys who fish the wall across from the Reno ramp park at the Reno ramp and it's probably a quarter mile across to where you fish. Not bad at all unless you want to scout around a bit. There's usually pressure ridges that limit ATV travel from Reno around to Whiskey or the Marina/dam area.

It might be only 100 yards down, but if you take a bunch of stuff along, it is more like 1000 YARDS BACK UP THAT HILL.  I try to travel light now.  I can hardly wait for the ice!  Good fishing!

Keith

Offline Pokefishin66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2009, 03:42 PM »
Hey thanks guys I appreciate it! 

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2009, 12:22 AM »

thanks for the info.  Is there any maps which label different bays, points or other spots of interest?

Walking a quarter mile is nothing.  I started working out to drop some excess baggage and I was walking 5.5 miles a day at a brisk pace.  Now I am biking at the gym and doing weights.
Don

Offline mulebarnmax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2009, 05:29 AM »
There are good maps. You should be able to find one at Rocky Mountain Discount Sports, Sportsmans Warehouse, Curleys, or maybe the Trading Post in Glendo.  As for getting on the ice, usually a semi steep bank is best but also watch out for wind blow open spots. Couple of years ago a guy went through on an ATV and I'm betting it was a wind blown open spot cause we were there the day before and there was one near there.  If you get on at Reno, or anywhere for that matter, make sure you get to the middle of the lake before you travel up and down the lake. the ice seems to be the best out there. Glendo is always mushy on the edges cause they fill it slowly through the winter and so the wind can open up places near shore easily.
No jet skiers, no bugs...how can you not like ice fishing??

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2009, 08:54 AM »
Thanks,  I am headed to sportsman's tommarrow so I will ask if I can't find it there.
Don

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2009, 08:57 AM »
Well, after reading this post i think I'll stay North of Glendo..I've heard its pretty good fishn,but am not a big fan of bad ice..Good luck and be safe ;)

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2009, 12:16 PM »
I'm bringin' planks.....FISH ON!!!!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2009, 06:37 PM »

ya she rocks!   We put a flipover shelter on layaway today as well as fishing rods and some other necessities.

And we picked up a map today so I can look at everything out there.
Don

Offline Perchcrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2009, 02:31 AM »
Hilarious ;D
A Bad day of fishing in better than a Good day at Work!!!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2009, 12:33 PM »
Perch in Glendo?  Are they of any size?   or people just stick to the Walleye, Cats and Crappie?

I caught a few dinks when I was shore fishing for walleyes this spring. 
Don

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:16 PM »
Perch in Glendo?  Are they of any size?   or people just stick to the Walleye, Cats and Crappie?

I caught a few dinks when I was shore fishing for walleyes this spring. 

There's really nice perch in Glendo but it's hard to get on them consistantly through the ice. I have had some good days on them and big crappie but it didn't happen at all last season. One here and one there and that was about it last year.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:36 PM »
I drove around Glendo today and Seen Curlys was closed for the season?  Where does everyone get thier bait from when they go to Glendo on the ice?
Don

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2009, 08:45 PM »
the trading post after you go past the railroad tracks turn right and it is on the left hand side of the road. It is a tall red building.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.