Author Topic: Otter XT X-Over Cottage  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Otter XT X-Over Cottage
« on: Oct 26, 2020, 12:34 PM »
Considering adding a flip a over this year.  My hubs are fine when fishing with a group but just not mobile enough when on the move.  Looking at this Otter which I can get for $698 all in with taxes and shipping.  I would use it almost exclusively as a 1 man.  I was never interested in a flip but like the idea of side entry.  I think they are a fairly new model so wondered if anybody has experience with these?.  Is that a fair price when you consider freight? 

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
Re: Otter XT X-Over Cottage
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2020, 10:58 PM »
Check at Scheel's & get one for $599. 

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2020, 05:24 PM »
I carry a lot of gear and I prefer the two-man version.  Weight is also an issue to consider, particularly if you manhaul much, which I do. Good luck.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2020, 08:31 PM »
Went with the Pro Cottage.  Had it for about a week or so.  Assembling when I can but so far I have the hyfax on and the frame components on.  Added a light strip tonight and should complete things this weekend.  Seems like I got all the parts required and have no complaints so far.  No discount and nothing in stock locally but I did get free ship from Up North. Delivery was quick.  Might have waited for Black Friday Deals but I hope to be fishing early ice in the high country soon. I could fit a second guy in there for pan fish in shallow water but it would be snug.   Lakers at 50 feet or more would just be asking for a mess.  Might pull it out on a Smitty by foot on the colder days but I mostly wanted it for dragging behind the Ski Doo fishing our larger reservoirs for Lakers.  I've used an Otter Mag sled with a Hub for a number of years and this tub is about half the size...hopefully more manageable.

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2020, 05:44 PM »
I've been looking at them too. The only thing that scares me about them is that front pole that has a joint in the middle of it. I'm wondering how that is going to hold up over time. I have seen them set up in different stores and they all seem to be flexing at that joint which concerns me if I'm dropping that much money on a shelter. Other than that they are looking like solid units.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:15 PM »
Mills fleet farm here sells the x-over cabin for 599. They will go on sale for 549. I picked mine up when they came out a couple years ago for 529. It was on sale for 549 and they had a 20 dollar off over 200 dollar promotion. All the local bait shops want 729 for the same shack. My suggestion on an Otter is to make sure you get a good deal. I could sell my shack easily for 450. Could probably get 500 but it would take a little longer. I wouldn’t be out much either way. Had I paid retail at 729, it would be a huge loss. I’ve bought each of the last three generations of Otter Cabins, and each time, I was able to sell the previous one for 50 dollars less than I paid for it, and was able to upgrade at a cost of about 100 dollars after tax. 

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:19 PM »
698 for an Otter Cottage after all said and done, seems like a lot to me. Even if it’s the pro model. You’d have a hard time getting 500 for it after a seasons use if you decided to sell it IMO.

Online Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2020, 09:06 PM »
698 for an Otter Cottage after all said and done, seems like a lot to me. Even if it’s the pro model. You’d have a hard time getting 500 for it after a seasons use if you decided to sell it IMO.

Ya, but it's quality.  I sold a 3 year old one last for $100 less than new.  All depends how you treat your kit.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2020, 09:30 PM »
I don't plan on upgrading but I did want a quality setup that is functional, durable and that side entrance design was pretty appealing.  I only get out 10-15 days/year so each one matters a lot and because I plan on retirement in 5-6 years I'm counting on this still being functional. Time will tell I guess but no buyer's remorse yet.   The lack of local stock along with the extra $150 frt charge for most other purchase options was enough to close the deal for me.  The older I get the more quality time becomes the true commodity.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2020, 10:05 PM »
If it’s quality you want, you can’t beat it with an otter. No doubt it’ll still be around in 5-6 years. If your happy with the price, go for it. And they side doors are the best setup in the industry. And they are awesome. I wish they would quit putting the front door on with it because you will never use it. All I ever use it for is just opening the top for a vent. With that being said, they should just replace it with a vent lol. No more moving the heater and tripping over lines to get out. You will be more than happy with the quality, no doubt. If there are any issues, the warranty department is gray and will get you fixed up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.