Author Topic: ION problems: Dull blades or bad auger?  (Read 14613 times)

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
ION problems: Dull blades or bad auger?
« on: Dec 13, 2013, 09:30 PM »
Bought used ION over the summer from a guy who has a shop.  Said it was a demo/store model and only used a couple of times on the ice.
Came with box and everything in it.  Except the blade guard.

Used it today for the 1st time.
There was maybe 1" of fresh powdery snow on the ice.
When I went to drill, it just kinda slide around on the ice.  And took a few moments to find a spot to drill into.
Then every 4 inches or so it would stop cutting.  The blades would still spin but they wouldn't cut into the ice.
I just lift the auger up a little and let some snow go back into the hole then it starts cutting again.  But same thing a few more inches down.

I recall a friend one time told me ice builds up on the blades and you need to give it a little downward nudge onto the ice to break it off.

Took a good 1+ mins. to cut a hole that was maybe 16" of ice.

Tried cutting holes 2 hours later.  Same issue.  Except when bout 2" into the ice it would just stop.  And wouldn't go any further.

The battery had a full charge.  Was never left outside or in the garage.  When auger was not being used it was in my snowsuit and when in my HUB ( which my pole broke. %^$%^$%^#$ ) it sat above the heater to keep warm.  And the battery had a full charge indicated on the lights.  When I would spin the auger into the air it would spin constantly and not stop.  But when put on ice it stopped 2" in.

Bad blades?  Or bad auger?

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ION problems: Dull blades or bad auger?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2013, 09:30 PM »
help.. I realy hope its my blades.  Otherwise my season might be over   :(

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2013, 09:37 PM »
Really sounds like dull blades. Try new ones and get your self a blade guard.
Hard Ice

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2013, 09:45 PM »
I have looked forever online to get a blade guard and cant find them anywhere!!!!
I even talked with an ION rep. and he wasn't sure if they sold just the blade gaurds alone?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2013, 09:54 PM »
I have looked forever online to get a blade guard and cant find them anywhere!!!!
I even talked with an ION rep. and he wasn't sure if they sold just the blade gaurds alone?

The Ion is made by Eskimo. Get and Eskimo blade guard. And just an FYI for you Ardisam owns Eskimo so some places will call it an Ardisam cover. If you want a nice cover I'd check out the cold snap covers they are nice.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2013, 09:58 PM »
The Ion is made by Eskimo. Get and Eskimo blade guard. And just an FYI for you Ardisam owns Eskimo so some places will call it an Ardisam cover. If you want a nice cover I'd check out the cold snap covers they are nice.

X2
Hard Ice

Offline ryan johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2013, 10:06 PM »
was looking at the ion pictures..there seems to be no pilot bit in the center of the blades..more akin to a hand auger...
when you damage the innermost part of a hand auger blade,by touching something (concrete floor etc.) it almost makes the auger useless...it wont start off properly,willl dance around etc..
            the rest of the blade my look and feel razor blade sharp..but if those two center points
cant start the hole off, then the condition of the rest of the blades are irrelevant..
      you may be able to sharpen the inner points,, but do it gently and carefully..
or just get a new set, and some sort of guard for them

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2013, 10:10 PM »
I have use a friends Ion many times, never had a problem like that, I think it is a safe bet that the blades are dull...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2013, 10:23 PM »
I would agree that it's more then likely the blades being dull. It looks like the ion uses shaver blades..........he could probably sharpen them with an electric knife sharpener. At least that's what I do with the shaver blades for my ht hand auger.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2013, 10:46 PM »
was looking at the ion pictures..there seems to be no pilot bit in the center of the blades..more akin to a hand auger...
when you damage the innermost part of a hand auger blade,by touching something (concrete floor etc.) it almost makes the auger useless...it wont start off properly,willl dance around etc..
            the rest of the blade my look and feel razor blade sharp..but if those two center points
cant start the hole off, then the condition of the rest of the blades are irrelevant..
      you may be able to sharpen the inner points,, but do it gently and carefully..
or just get a new set, and some sort of guard for them

So are you thinking this sounds like a blade issue?  And can be corrected with new blades?

Offline ryan johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2013, 10:58 PM »
yes ..since the guard was missing ,, all someone had to do, is rest the auger down on a hard surface, to change the angle of those inner cutting points ,or dull them slightly to cause this problem..

fix.. new blades...(but for fun, try and file those inner points and see if you can get it to cut better.
when that dosent work put on the new blades..)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2013, 04:51 AM »
Buy new blades and have the old ones sharpened so that you will always have spares... This is true of any auger, although I have gotten years out of a set of blades, all it take is one unseen rock or pile of sand, also make sure you have a Ellen wrench with you! It is no good to have the spare blades and no way to take the old off and put on the new.... DON'T  ask me how I know about that scenario... I keep a Allen wrench taped to the shaft of the auger... Always handy!

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2013, 08:16 AM »
If the worm turns but it doesn't cut it means the blades are done or the blade angle has been compromised.  Don't ever bounce the auger on the ice as this can bend the blade angle.  Try new blades.  It should do the trick.  A plastic mixing bowl from a thrift store plus a bungee cord makes a serviceable blade protector.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:03 AM »

Here is their number.

(800) 345-6007

Give them a call.  They know the auger better than most of us here.

Q

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:11 AM »
i dont know who told you to give the auger a whack on the ice...whoever said that doesnt have a clue.if it has been whacked on the ice...the pitch of your blades is off... ???
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:59 AM »
I just checked  Ardisam's website the blades on the Ion look similar to what I have on my Strikemaster Mora.(hand auger) The blades maybe installed wrong this causes the auger to spin on ice surface and not bite into the ice. I found this out after changing blades one time luckily my fishing partner had a socket set in his truck and we were able to fix the problem. Like Stripernut said always keep an Allen wrench,hex key or socket set among your gear. One other thought could the auger be designed so that the clutch would slip/disengage if to much downward pressure is applied as a safety feature to protect motor . I'm not sue if I used the correct terminology.
Steve

Offline jerrife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2013, 10:07 AM »
just gave my hand auger blades a sharpening and it cuts like new again
           :thumbsup: BUBBA ARMY :thumbsup:

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2013, 11:18 AM »
Thanks everyone.
Sounds like dull blades are the culprit. Although I have not put on the new ones yet.

I went to Thorne Bros. this AM with my auger.  Guy looked @ it and almost instantly said dull blades too.  He showed me how there is some rust on the blade and a chip on the edge.  Also there is some rounding of the blade edge?  Its crazy... they look super sharp to me though.  Of course Thorne Bros. just sold their last ION replacement blades.  And are all out of sharpening stones.  Called Gander Mountain and they don't carry them.  Cabelas is all out and back ordered a month ( or so they told me...).  I was starting to panic, because I want to get out tomorrow. I called Mills Fleet Farm and they had 1 left.  I told them I would be there in 10 mins. and just set aside for me.  Got there and sure enough they saved them for me.  I walked down the auger blade area on way out and found another pair of replacement blades packed behind all the strikemaster blades.  So I bought those too as a spare to have.

I will take some pics of the old blades / new blades.  Hopefully it is the blades...

I am planning to bring home some sharpening stones from work and try and salvage the old blades.  If not @ least get some experience sharpening them.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2013, 11:19 AM »
I also picked up an Eskimo 8" quantum blade cover for my ION.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:24 PM »
So I went and got some new blades today.
Here is a comparison of my old blades and new blades.

old blades on left. new blades on right

old blades mounted

old blades

new blades

just for fun / yesterday

Someone told me that the old blades didn't look that bad...? Really? And said more then likely the pitch is off.
Thoughts on this....?

<--- gonna try new blades tomorrow and will find out I guess

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2013, 12:25 AM »
Try the new blades. If it doesn't cut/grab you know it's the pitch then.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2013, 12:33 AM »
Looks like you been running those blades through gravel.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2013, 03:00 PM »
Took out today after the new blades have been put on.  Cuts ridiculously easy , smooth and fast now.
It was the blades.

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2013, 04:17 PM »
Took out today after the new blades have been put on.  Cuts ridiculously easy , smooth and fast now.
It was the blades.

Yep we all thought so ;).  Now DO NOT do what I see too many do....bounce it next to the hole they just drilled, like a cleaning or clearing activity.  NO BOUNCING on BLADES EVER, unless you have deep pockets with $100.00's to spare :)  Bless
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2013, 04:58 PM »
Yeah I learned a valuable lesson from bouncing it on the ice

Offline ryan johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2013, 06:09 PM »
lol omg those blades look like they've been through some sort of war....

I cant believe they even drilled 1 hole....

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:30 AM »
Good to read you solved your problem . I attended a preseason meeting of Ice Shanty members from my area (south east NY.) this past Saturday and we discussed this thread. One person brought up that you purchased a store demo model and who knew how much abuse the auger had taken before you purchased it some thing for everyone to keep in mind when purchasing any equipment that was used for demonstration in store or even rental usage equipment . While you can get a great price/deal on such gear there is a chance you are buying damaged/abused merchandise. Also you may not get any warranty on the equipment.
Steve

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Yes Steve good point!  When you look @ the ION it looks brand new right out of the box.  Paint is clean and fresh.  But blades where trashed.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:48 AM »
I always try to carry spare blades, and I always carry this to touch up damaged blades so my trip is not ruined.   It will not make it new but you will still get holes in the ice.

http://www.fishusa.com/Product/StrikeMaster-Lazer-Ice-Auger-Blade-Sharpener
Don

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:20 AM »
Don't throw those old blades out.  A sharpening shop that knows what they are doing can (usually) make them cut like new again.  I had a set of blades sharpened by a local guy that owns a sharpening service.  Well, he might have known lot about sharpening a lot of different things, but not auger blades.  When I tried the ones he sharpened, it just spun on the ice like you were describing.  I sent them off to www.iceaugers.com (found on this website) and they restored them like new.  Price was reasonable and I had them back pronto.  Or perhaps you have a local shop that can sharpen/restore them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.