The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Night Crappies  (Read 1708 times)

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
Night Crappies
« on: Jan 17, 2019, 05:38 AM »
I recently met up with my buddy Al to check out a small lake that I had never fished before (Al had only open water fished it). We didn't get to the lake until after sundown and we immediately started drilling holes looking for fish. It didn't take us too long to find an area that the fish were frequenting. We caught a couple fish and set up the flipover. We wound up getting into some nice Crappies and to our surprise some really nice Sunfish. I would really like to get back to this lake soon to explore some new areas and learn it a bit more as it definitely has quality fish!

Offline tornadochaser60

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Night Crappies
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2019, 02:54 PM »
Sunnies after dark is a rare treat through the ice.  We can get into them in the summer when the water is flat, there's moon light, and a bug hatch is going, and we'll get them occasionally on crankbaits after dark while trolling inside weedlines for eyes.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2019, 05:29 PM »
I haven't hit a night bite yet.  This is awesome.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2019, 05:42 PM »
GREAT VIDEO NICE FISH GOOD JOB

Offline Bear Lake Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:42 PM »
Can't wait to do this at night on the local ponds!  Funny how they hit ftom sunset on thru early evening, then strangely disappear!

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2019, 08:48 AM »
I haven't hit a night bite yet.  This is awesome.

This is only my 2nd night bite of the year and the first wasn't nearly as successful. I hope to get out for a night bite once or twice more this season.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Sunnies after dark is a rare treat through the ice.  We can get into them in the summer when the water is flat, there's moon light, and a bug hatch is going, and we'll get them occasionally on crankbaits after dark while trolling inside weedlines for eyes.

It is something I'm not used to either. There has only been a couple of times where I've caught Sunfish well after sundown before. They seemed to be suspending and roaming with the Crappies on this outing. It makes me want to get out there in the daylight and search the shallow/weeds for larger Sunfish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.